How Do You Keep Them Arranged?

robert

I've got a growing collection of coins (don't we all?!) and have them in pages in a binder. I have them separated like so:

• Trackable
  • Non-trackable
  • Wooden Nickels

What do you do? Right now they're just separated like that but I'm thinking of arranging them alphabetically, but maybe by state, country, event, etc.

Well, at this eaxct moment... :blink:

I had bought me a nice binder, with the plastic divider pages, and just inserted one into each section to get them out of the metal cookie tin that I had been keeping them in with intentions to organize them better.

UNFORTUNATELY I didn't do anything to secure them in the pages. :tired:

This morning I picked the binder up off my desk to look at a coin to see how something was done in it. So, I could use it on a coin that I was designing.

I had laid the binder on my desk back side up.

When I opened it EVERYONE of them fell out on th floor.

So, now they are back in the Cookie Tin until I get time to orgnize them and properly secure them in the binder pages. :(:(:(

gridlox: I had them in baseball card pages with craft foam cut to fit the coins (someone here gave me that idea) and it looked GREAT. but with coins like Germany (thin), GOWT (shape), NY (beveled/rounded edge), it didn't hold. I went to 2.5x2.5 coin pages with 2.5x2.5 flips to hold them. Secures pretty well and if they slide out they're in the flip.

LadeBear68: what would you charge for such a service?

trail hound: that's better than keeping them in a 5x7 mailing envelope that some other coins came in.

:tired:

I've got a growing collection of coins (don't we all?!) and have them in pages in a binder. I have them separated like so:
  • Trackable
  • Non-trackable
  • Wooden Nickels

What do you do? Right now they're just separated like that but I'm thinking of arranging them alphabetically, but maybe by state, country, event, etc.

This is how I have mine arranged now, but the binders are becomming too heavy. Will have to sub-divide somehow.

I've got mine in a binder...just put them in there in the order that I get them. Very 1st coin: Oregon 2003 non-numbered (actually got it from a cache find).

Last coin: whatever comes in next...

That is my current system. I have them in 2 3-"D"ring binders in the order that I get them, or log them in anyway. :tired: I was thinking about putting series onto separate pages, i.e. all coin club coins on one page, all Hides and Finds an another, ect. All my spares I just have stuffed into old bubble mailers. I am not a very orginized person. :blink:

Edited by Blind Avocado

4 Binders for now with a little room to breath :tired:

1. Personal Coins (full)

2. Personal Coins

3. States & Countries

4. Associations, Events and Misc.

1-3 are 2" binders, 4 is a 3" binder and it's nearly full. So I may move "associations" into #3 cause there's plenty of room for them there.

Edited by AtlantaGal
What kind of pages are being used inside the binders.  In other words, what is holding the coins in the binders?

2x2 coin sheets with 20 on a page, ball card sheets with 9 on a page and dollar sheets with 3 on a page.

All of my binders zip closed all the way around.

Thanks!

Are the coins in any type of holder inside the 2X2 sheet?

... have all the coins arranged alphabetically.

That's what I've been trying to do. But with a couple hundred coins in there, when I get a new coin (e.g. Avroair or Blind Avocado), I have to move most of the coins to make room at the beginning of the collection. So I've been thinking about changing to when I receive them and keeping track of which book number, which page number, and which pocket number.

I've started a zippered 3-ring binder, one with D-shaped rings. I use plastic pages with 2.5 x 2.5 slots, 12 per page. I cut my flips in half and insert them sideways, so there is no opening. I use plastic non-PVC flips, since PVC may cause damage to the coins. But PVC is softer and better for mailing, they don't break as easily. And PVC should be OK for the pages. The notebook is divided into 2 sections, activated and non-activated. Each section is divided into 3 more sections - geocoin club coins, state and country coins, and personal coins.

For me, anything 1.5" or less is stapled into one of those cardboard coin flips.

Last question for me ... you can tell I'm just getting started. If you put the coins in a flip what do you do with the activation codes and plastic pouches? And what is the ettiquite (sp?) for trading if one doesn't have the plastic pouch?

Edited by vtblackdog

For me, anything 1.5" or less is stapled into one of those cardboard coin flips.

Last question for me ... you can tell I'm just getting started. If you put the coins in a flip what do you do with the activation codes and plastic pouches? And what is the ettiquite (sp?) for trading if one doesn't have the plastic pouch?

Well this is my collection and these are not for trade. I have a huge ziplock bag with all the activation codes stored inside and marked as to what coin the codes are for where applicable.

I don't store my trader coins in binders.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I put mine into a cardboard flip, and then into a 12-cell binder sheet.

They are in three 3-ring binders.

One is Personals, one is for locations, States, countries, etc, and the other is for coins that don't really fit either category, and for the series that we're making/I'm collecting.

I have each coin entered in an excel spreadsheet with the tracking number and activation code or web site where to get the activation code. That way if I loose the pouch, I will still have the info I need.

I'm using the larger pages than AtlantaGal.... my pages hold 12.  Then they're in same size coin flips from the coin shop.

This is the same type of pages I use, you can get them from just about any local coin dealer.

The only coins I put in here are the one's I'm keeping.

Any coins I Plan on using for trading I keep in the original plastic flips with all the activation information.

... have all the coins arranged alphabetically.

That's what I've been trying to do. But with a couple hundred coins in there, when I get a new coin (e.g. Avroair or Blind Avocado), I have to move most of the coins to make room at the beginning of the collection. So I've been thinking about changing to when I receive them and keeping track of which book number, which page number, and which pocket number.

I put each letter on separate pages and when one is full I just add another page for that letter. That way you can expand as necessary. Going to need a 3rd binder pretty soon though. :P

Edited by graylling

On another note but related. Does anyone have a good method of transporting your coins? like if your going to an event and want to show them off? The only time I've tried this I just brought my binder and half of them ended up on my front seat. I don't really want to get into sealing them in the pockets as i want access to them now and then. But theres got to be a fairly hassle free, secure way to transport them and still keep them organized.

My binder looks a lot like Robert's above there. My non-trackables go in the binder sorted by region/state/country, personal, and other (events, coin club, etc.) They are in flips which keeps them in place pretty well and the binder zips shut for security.

Now, my trackable coins go into an air-tite (if round) or stay in their vinyl pouches, then into a box with a handle for easy transportation to events. I think those air-tites show them off nicely and people can handle them, yet they stay protected.

Where do you get those zippered D-ring binders?

DamM the search feature - I think I recall seeing a thread with all this information and more...

Why do you need the search feature to type "Staples". :P

That's where I got mine, they had two different varieties and it was about $15. One had 2 1.5" rings in it so when you opened the book the two sets of rings were separate (like having 2 binders sharing the same "wrapper") Mine is just a 3" binder, and has a velcro pouch on the outside that's a little file folder type thing with tabs. Haven't put anything in it but guess it could hold coin info A-F, G-L, M-R etc.... not sure yet.

Dancingfool, I had the same deal going with mine (but using black foam which was really sharp looking) but the coins kept coming out when I turned pages. Maybe the foam was too thin, I got it at a craft shop.

edit: clarification

Edited by robert
Where do you get those zippered D-ring binders?

Staples and Target... cheaper at Target :drama:

AG,

I stopped in Target last night for something and checked out the binders. Saw the zippered ones and the one I got at Staples seems to be a much nicer quality. I paid $15 at Staples, the Target ones were about $10 IIRC. Mine has a padded handle, a shoulder strap, and a detachable (velcro) file folder thing on front with tabs to keep data separate. It's good for activation codes, tracking codes, etc.

Just thought I'd pass that along, and bump a decent thread amongst some of the others.

:blink:

Edited by robert
I use 6mm craft foam and a circle cutter and sports card pages.I tried cardboard but it was hard to cut to size.

It hold the coins in place and as you can see they look great.

As far as arranging them I have the GC trackable coins first and then places then personals

coinbinder.jpg

Do you have any problems with the foam and coins falling out of the pages? I'm using the same pages but without the foam. I'm thinking of going with the foam for it looks like it makes the pages more sturdy and also shows off the coins. However, I'm still concerned that they will fall out of the pages.

Thanks....Anthus

The foam is thick 6mm and I cut the blanks so they fit snug.I bought a "Compass Cutter" at Michaels and it works great.I cut the circles a little tight so the foam hugs the coin so it stays in place.I use the slugs to gauge size and have gotten pretty good at it.I made a template to make sure the hole is centered.I have acquired a bunch of slugs in the process.I may try to figure a way to make them a cache trade item

Coinslugs.jpg

A good binder to work with is the Caseit brand. They are zippered and have handles and a carrying strap on the binding. There are two versions... The first on only has one set if rings for binding. the other one has 2 ring binders that are slightly offset. I only recommend the second version if you have a harden plastic insert you can place between the two sets of rings.

I also place a plastic page protector with a full page of foam to protect the coins on each page from touching each other.

I've posted pictures of my setup before, but since the search feature is turned off, I'll post the images again...

This is the dual ring binder version

coinbinder09.jpg

In this picture, you can see that I have page protectors filled with a foam insert to protect between each page of coins.

coinbinder08.jpg

I don't have a picture of the plactic ring protector... it's basiclly one of those pieces of plastic that keeps pages from getting pulled and ripped in the 3 ring binder. I asked at staples, and they no longer carry them.

If you use the single set of rings version, you shouldn't have a problem... but I still recommend the foam insert pages.... unless you can get the 6mm foam. I'm using the craft foam that is offered at michaels.

If you use the single set of rings version, you shouldn't have a problem... but I still recommend the foam insert pages.... unless you can get the 6mm foam. I'm using the craft foam that is offered at michaels.

The craft store is a bit of a drive from my house so I went to a local retail store. All they had was the 2mm foam. I bought it just to give it a try but the coins keep falling out of them when you filp the page. I really love the look with the foam but obviously I'm doing something wrong. Next week I'll have a chance to get up to michaels and will get the 6mm size.

How snug do you make the foam inserts in the pockets? How snug do you make the coins to fit in the foam inserts? Maybe this is where I'm going wrong???

Thanks......Anthus

Michaels does not have the 6mm foam.I found mine at Pearl Paint. I just looked and they do have a website at www.pearlpaint.com. I was not able to find it listed.A phone # is 800 451 7327,The one near my house had several colors available and online they may have more.

The trading card pockets are 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 but I found I had to cut the blanks a little small so they would fit.The foam I got was in a sheet 9X12 so I cut the blanks 2 3/8 X 3 1/4 and was able to use almost the whole sheet

As far as how snug for the coin, the foam gives enough that you stretch it a little.I use the slugs to gauge the size though I am finding that most coins are standard.I cut each blank as I need it so I am sure of opening size

kayakerinme Posted on Jan 22 2006, 07:24 AM

I've been looking around town and couldn't find 6mm any at any craft store. I did find an online source at Crafts For Less and ordered some the other day. They have lots of colors including white and black. I believe the ones in the photo were tan.

These are exactly what I use and the same cost.Not sure what S&H would add.Thanks for the link