Garmin "x Series" Vs. Gpsbabel

robertlipe

Oh man- does this mean a program such as Earth Tracker will not work properly?

http://www.dgadv.com/et/

It says it uses NMEA 0183 (whatever that is) Can you let me know? The entire reason I bought these units was to use them in Google Earth. Dang...

If this will NOT work in that program, how long do you think it will take (I realize that's a huge question, but, are we talking a few days, or, 6 months?)

Thanks for all the info..

Azspecter, I've never heard of it. If you have a program looking for NMEA 0183, that's not going to work with even the C series USB connectors; the odds of it working with serial are dramatically better and about the same for either C series or X series. But your question is better directed to that vendor.

PDOPs, do you really think I have Google by the tail? :-)

Yes, I believe it's looking for NMEA. I'm under the impression that this works great with the Serial connection, and, with a serial-USB adapter it should work fine as well. I'll check with the vendor either way. I just didn't know if what you were posting about originally interfered with the NMEA output or not. Is NMEA different than GPSBabel? Forgive my ignorance here... :drama:

Yes, I believe it's looking for NMEA. I'm under the impression that this works great with the Serial connection, and, with a serial-USB adapter it should work fine as well. I'll check with the vendor either way. I just didn't know if what you were posting about originally interfered with the NMEA output or not. Is NMEA different than GPSBabel?  Forgive my ignorance here... :(

You need a serial Cable:

010-10141-00.jpg

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10141%2D00

Then goto MAIN MENU, then select SETUP

Then select Interface.

Then for SERIAL DATA FORMAT, select

NMEA IN/NMEA Out

GPSbabel is a program, and NMEA stands for National Marine Electronics Assoc.

NMEA is an Interface standard used with boating, like with chart plotters, and depth sounders.

-

Geoff

Edited by GOT GPS?