Hey San Diego Folks....

DocDiTTo

I'll be in San Diego in March (11th thru 15th, I believe) and definitely plan on doing some caching. Since this is a business trip my days are partially busy, but I hope to nail a few finds in the evenings. On Sunday the 12th I've got a free day and would love to hit some of the best caches San Diego has to offer. Any thoughts as to which caches are not to be missed? While my favorite thing is a cache with a great view or a nice hike, I won't have a car so I'll either have to walk it or grab a taxi. (Or maybe make a local friend who wants a caching partner for a few days. :D )

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions as far as caches go. I'll be staying at the Wyndham Emerald Plaza, and it looks like there are quite a few within walking distance from there. I'd love to hit the most southwestern cache in the continental US, if I can get down there.

So, ideas for the best caches your town has to offer? Is there another forum (yahoo group, etc) where the locals chat? If so I'd like to tap into it as a resource. I've definitely got a little planning time, so I really want to make the most of it before my trip.

thanks!

Don't overlook the San Diego Trolley, especially to Old Town; fare will be $2.50 each way.

It's a nice place to cache, eat (Old Town Mexican Cafe), and visit.

If you're willing to take a 0530 Trolley to El Cajon, Ca, I can pick you up at 0610, and take you east, far east - Alpine, Jamul, etc... to some hiking trails in our "outback".

Maybe even expose you to some famous Sandy Creek Cowboy caches.

Edited by Chuy
Don't overlook the San Diego Trolley, especially to Old Town; fare will be $2.50 each way.

If you're willing to take a 0530 Trolley to El Cajon, Ca, I can pick you up at 0610, and take you east, far east - Alpine, Jamul, etc... to some hiking trails in our "outback".

Thanks for the offer! I'm finalizing my travel plans now, and I'll have a look at some of the spots you mentioned and drop you an email. Looks like you guys have some great country out there, I'm envious! :lol:

If you're willing to take a 0530 Trolley to El Cajon, Ca, I can pick you up at 0610, and take you east, far east - Alpine, Jamul, etc...  to some hiking trails in our "outback".

Thanks for the offer! I'm finalizing my travel plans now, and I'll have a look at some of the spots you mentioned and drop you an email. Looks like you guys have some great country out there, I'm envious! :lol:

Yeehaw!

If you're willing to take a 0530 Trolley to El Cajon, Ca, I can pick you up at 0610, and take you east, far east - Alpine, Jamul, etc...  to some hiking trails in our "outback".

John and I would be willing to join Chuy and introduce you to East County also...I'd even drive downtown to get you..at 0530..early is good. Keep us posted. As you can see...you're coming to a friendly place!!! Jahaodi and John

John and I would be willing to join Chuy and introduce you to East County also...I'd even drive downtown to get you..at 0530..early is good. Keep us posted. As you can see...you're coming to a friendly place!!! Jahaodi and John

Be careful DocDiTTo, you are falling into the hands of puzzle-cache fiends. I noticed that they didn't say anything about getting you back to your hotel.

How's your Spanish by the way?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Be careful DocDiTTo, you are falling into the hands of puzzle-cache fiends. I noticed that they didn't say anything about gettinig you back to your hotel.

:ph34r: Hey now Harmon...that's not true. I have not had the pleasure of experiencing the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches so I was hoping to tag along. But now that you mention it...if he's willing to brave Puzzle Valley...hmmmm :D:D jodi

Be careful DocDiTTo, you are falling into the hands of puzzle-cache fiends. I noticed that they didn't say anything about getting you back to your hotel.

:ph34r: Hey now Harmon...that's not true. I have not had the pleasure of experiencing the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches so I was hoping to tag along. But now that you mention it...if he's willing to brave Puzzle Valley...hmmmm :D:D jodi

Jodi,

It will be a pleasure to see your log entries at the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches. Us ol' cowboys are thrilled when Geocachers come way out to cowboy country for our modest offerings. We're even more thrilled when a cowgirl such as you shows up 'cause it makes us yodel f'r some strange reason.

We've had a lot of fun with our crazy hides. Funny thing, I've gotten two email requests asking permission to duplicate one or two of our cowboy cache setups. How in the world they heard about our hides in Washington state and back in Iowa I'll never know.

I know how y' like puzzles so here's a country-boy puzzle f'r y'. First of all y' need t' know that hogs can swim but when they do so their forehoofs lacerate their throats. So what's th' safe way t' drive a herd of hogs across a river?

Y'all come y' hear?

Harmon & Bill,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

977e2a34-a6cb-4251-ae98-f2dadb6c1c5c.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
. . . We've had a lot of fun with our crazy hides. Funny thing, I've gotten two email requests asking permission to duplicate one or two of our cowboy cache setups. How in the world they heard about our hides in Washington state and back in Iowa I'll never know. . . .

:) I think I would be the guilty party. I've been posting in the "Big" forums about your creative caches for many months. :):)

:) Hey now Harmon...that's not true. I have not had the pleasure of experiencing the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches so I was hoping to tag along. But now that you mention it...if he's willing to brave Puzzle Valley...hmmmm :):) jodi

Jodi,

It will be a pleasure to see your log entries at the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches. Us ol' cowboys are thrilled when Geocachers come way out to cowboy country for our modest offerings. We're even more thrilled when a cowgirl such as you shows up 'cause it makes us yodel f'r some strange reason.

We've had a lot of fun with our crazy hides. Funny thing, I've gotten two email requests asking permission to duplicate one or two of our cowboy cache setups. How in the world they heard about our hides in Washington state and back in Iowa I'll never know.

I know how y' like puzzles so here's a country-boy puzzle f'r y'. First of all y' need t' know that hogs can swim but when they do so their forehoofs lacerate their throats. So what's th' safe way t' drive a herd of hogs across a river?

Y'all come y' hear?

Harmon & Bill,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

On a boat? B)

:) Hey now Harmon...that's not true. I have not had the pleasure of experiencing the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches so I was hoping to tag along. But now that you mention it...if he's willing to brave Puzzle Valley...hmmmm :):) jodi

Jodi,

Y'all come y' hear?

Harmon & Bill,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

On a boat? B)

Cowboys don't do boats.

Thanks for the offer! I'm finalizing my travel plans now, and I'll have a look at some of the spots you mentioned and drop you an email. Looks like you guys have some great country out there, I'm envious! :)

I know for a fact that Chuy is a GREAT caching guide and your expierence caching with him would be memorable. Don't miss out on the chance to cache with him....I recommend some tunnel caches at night (unless it is going to rain, of course).

Don't miss out on the Sand Creek Cowboy Caches either if you can help it. Everyone is a hoot.

Jodi,

Y'all come y' hear?

Harmon & Bill,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

On a boat? :D

Cowboys don't do boats.

I think a real Cowboy would just let them "drift" across.

I have a question also...If there are 3 men in the cab of a pick-up, which one is the real cowboy?

:) Hey now Harmon...that's not true. I have not had the pleasure of experiencing the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches so I was hoping to tag along. But now that you mention it...if he's willing to brave Puzzle Valley...hmmmm :):D jodi

Jodi,

Y'all come y' hear?

Harmon & Bill,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

On a boat? :)

Cowboys don't do boats.

I think a real Cowboy would just let them "drift" across.

I have a question also...If there are 3 men in the cab of a pick-up, which one is the real cowboy?

The one in the middle.

....I recommend some tunnel caches at night (unless it is going to rain, of course).

Where you been G-D?

Almost called you last night for the new Gas Kill Mtn caches.

It was spooky vampire.gif out there on a moon-less night.

Cya.

Why the one in the midde? Do I really want to know? :)

Edited by Chuy
I'll be in San Diego in March (11th thru 15th, I believe) and definitely plan on doing some caching. Since this is a business trip my days are partially busy, but I hope to nail a few finds in the evenings. On Sunday the 12th I've got a free day and would love to hit some of the best caches San Diego has to offer. Any thoughts as to which caches are not to be missed? While my favorite thing is a cache with a great view or a nice hike, I won't have a car so I'll either have to walk it or grab a taxi. (Or maybe make a local friend who wants a caching partner for a few days. :mad: )

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions as far as caches go. I'll be staying at the Wyndham Emerald Plaza, and it looks like there are quite a few within walking distance from there. I'd love to hit the most southwestern cache in the continental US, if I can get down there.

So, ideas for the best caches your town has to offer? Is there another forum (yahoo group, etc) where the locals chat? If so I'd like to tap into it as a resource. I've definitely got a little planning time, so I really want to make the most of it before my trip.

thanks!

I was just in PA yesterday and the day before. Up in Albany, New York right now. Whereabouts are you in PA?

Headed back home to SD tomorrow. I've had enough of the cold weather here! :(

I don't know how you guys do it!

A cowboy rode into town and stopped at a saloon for a drink.

Unfortunatly, the saloon’s regulars had a habit of picking on strangers. When the cowboy finished his drink he went out to his horse. Not to his suprise his horse wasnt there. He went back in, handily flipped his gun in the air, caught it, and shouted loudly, "All right, I’m gonna get another drink, and by the time I go back out, I want my horse to be there or I’m gonna be forced to do what I did in Texas!"

The cowboy, true to his word, had a beer and walked outside to find that his horse was there. The bartender walked out with him and said tenativley, "Say, partner. Before you go, can I ask what happened in Texas?"

The cowboy turned and said, "I had to walk home."

--From the internet.

....I recommend some tunnel caches at night (unless it is going to rain, of course).

Where you been G-D?

Almost called you last night for the new Gas Kill Mtn caches.

It was spooky vampire.gif out there on a moon-less night.

Cya.

Why the one in the midde? Do I really want to know? :(

Chuy, I started my new job on Jan 9 and have been busier than a one legged man in a...um....let's say...hop-scotch contest. Not going to get better any time soon. Plus, I have been trying to fix the brakes on my big truck. 2 of the kids have had some medical issues as well...nothing serious though.

Harmon, was I right about letting the hogs drift across?

A cowboy rode into town and stopped at a saloon for a drink.

Unfortunatly, the saloon’s regulars had a habit of picking on strangers. When the cowboy finished his drink he went out to his horse. Not to his suprise his horse wasnt there. He went back in, handily flipped his gun in the air, caught it, and shouted loudly, "All right, I’m gonna get another drink, and by the time I go back out, I want my horse to be there or I’m gonna be forced to do what I did in Texas!"

The cowboy, true to his word, had a beer and walked outside to find that his horse was there. The bartender walked out with him and said tenativley, "Say, partner. Before you go, can I ask what happened in Texas?"

The cowboy turned and said, "I had to walk home."

--From the internet.

:(:(:(

Wow.. been away for a few days and looking back over this thread I can see you folks would be a lot of fun to cache with. :rolleyes:

The plane tickets are bought, the hotel reservations made, I'll actually be getting out there Saturday night March 11th. I'll probably be pretty beat from the flying that night, but on Sunday I should be good to go. Got a whole day free before the meetings start on Monday.

I've been looking over the "favorite caches" thread someone mentioned earlier here, and it looks like there are some awesome views, hikes, and caches to be had. I'd definitely like to hook up with a couple of you to tackle some of them.

Chuy, Jahoadi and John, if you're serious on the offer of a ride to the hills, I'll take you up on it. Those tunnel caches sounds pretty interesting too.... (I had quite the experience with one here in PA this past summer)

Anyway, I'm still sifting through the favorite caches thread, if there are one or two "must do" caches I definitely don't want to miss, let me know which ones and I'll check 'em out.

Thanks to all for the great response! Sounds like San Diego has a great group of active cachers. I'm really looking forward to this trip!

Anyway, I'm still sifting through the favorite caches thread, if there are one or two "must do" caches I definitely don't want to miss, let me know which ones and I'll check 'em out.

I would say The Forbidden Forest (GCME1Z) is a must do and should only be done after dark. Just watch out for the spiders. :rolleyes:

OH NO, Doc DiTTo :( , your arrival coincides with the desert campout event which I'm planning on attending.

You up for a desert campout?

:rolleyes: Oh No... we are also going to the desert that weekend. We have a spare tent...lots of sleeping bags. You would have fun!! Otherwise...if your meetings don't last too long during the day during the week we could nab some in the afternoons, early evenings. We will not let you leave San Diego without experiencing some fun.

One more; the names are purely coincidental :rolleyes:.

The cowboy lay sprawled across three entire seats in the posh Amarillo theatre. When the usher came by and noticed this he whispered to the cowboy, "Sorry, sir, but you're only allowed one seat." The cowboy groaned but didn't budge. The usher became more impatient. "Sir, if you don't get up from there, I'm going to have to call the manager. The cowboy just groaned.

The usher marched briskly back up the aisle. In a moment he returned with the manager. Together the two of them tried repeatedly to move the cowboy, but with no success. Finally, they summoned the police. The cop surveyed the situation briefly then asked, "All right buddy, what's you're name?"

"Harmon," the cowboy moaned.

"Where ya from, Harmon?"

With pain in his voice Harmon replied.... "the balcony."

One more; the names are purely coincidental :mad:.

The cowboy lay sprawled across three entire seats in the posh Amarillo theatre. When the usher came by and noticed this he whispered to the cowboy, "Sorry, sir, but you're only allowed one seat." The cowboy groaned but didn't budge. The usher became more impatient. "Sir, if you don't get up from there, I'm going to have to call the manager. The cowboy just groaned.

The usher marched briskly back up the aisle. In a moment he returned with the manager. Together the two of them tried repeatedly to move the cowboy, but with no success. Finally, they summoned the police. The cop surveyed the situation briefly then asked, "All right buddy, what's you're name?"

"Where ya from, Harmon?"

Balconies not for seesies.

I still want to know how to get the herd of hogs across the river.....

Me Too! Come on Harmon, end the anticipation or Chuy will have to tell more cowboy jokes :mad:

Use a dry river bed for cryin' out loud.

Harmon, I thought you'd just let them "drift" across because a group of hogs is called a drift. I guess I went too deep trying to come up with the answer.

One more; the names are purely coincidental :).

"Where ya from, Harmon?"

<_<;):ph34r::(:o:P;)

OH NO, Doc DiTTo <_< , your arrival coincides with the desert campout event which I'm planning on attending.

You up for a desert campout?

The campout does sound like fun, but I'm not sure after spending 9 hours in the air travel system that I'd be up for it. I'm probably going to crash Saturday night. (After I'm OFF the plane, that is) :ph34r: My arrival time is 6:00 Saturday evening, which would really kill the joy of anyone attending the event if they had to leave and drive 50 miles to pick my tired, sorry self up. So I'll have to decline the invitation this time, but I really do appreciate the offers. Perhaps at some point during the week I can meet up with a few of you, I'll be flying out Thursday AM, but I'll have some free time Wednesday afternoon and most of the evenings. There are a lot of caches near the hotel that will keep me busy, and it looks like there's a decent sized park within walking or taxi distance too. No worries about me scoring a few finds while I'm there. :o

Well Doc, I work downtown and park in the structure across the street from your hotel. On Wednesday evening, I may be able to cache an hour or so. I have three to grab from Coronado Island. If you're up to it, we can head out there.

BTW, there is ferry service from Seaport Villiage area to Coronado so you can grab a handful of cacher out there.

Well Doc, I work downtown and park in the structure across the street from your hotel. On Wednesday evening, I may be able to cache an hour or so. I have three to grab from Coronado Island. If you're up to it, we can head out there.

BTW, there is ferry service from Seaport Villiage area to Coronado so you can grab a handful of cacher out there.

That sounds like a plan. I'll drop you an email with my cell phone number closer to March. From the looks of the map the area is pretty loaded with caches. I guess maybe I should ask, are there any particular area in the city where it would be best if I didn't go? Seems every city has the good neighborhoods and the bad, and I'd just as soon not wander into the bad by accident. Any particular areas I should avoid?

Well Doc, I work downtown and park in the structure across the street from your hotel.  On Wednesday evening, I may be able to cache an hour or so.  I have three to grab from Coronado Island.  If you're up to it, we can head out there. 

That sounds like a plan. I'll drop you an email with my cell phone number closer to March. From the looks of the map the area is pretty loaded with caches. I guess maybe I should ask, are there any particular area in the city where it would be best if I didn't go? Seems every city has the good neighborhoods and the bad, and I'd just as soon not wander into the bad by accident. Any particular areas I should avoid?

Hey DocDiTTo..if you want to do the most south westerly cache John and I have never done it either so we would be willing to take you. We both work in Coronado and I get off by 2-2:30 everyday..earlier if I go in earlier.. so we would be happy to escort you south. It's all up to you...take Chuy up on the Coronado caching offer..there are some micros there and he's an ok guy to hang with.

Hillcrest is our "colorful" section of town...but safe I think..Chuy is pulling your leg!!

r/ jodi

I must point out that Coronado is a place you want to cache during daylight hours. So is the most Southwesternly since it's on a state park. Has the road re-opened? or do you have to walk the mile and half, each way?

I'm thinking I could drive you down to the Forbidden Forest. Maybe even CHUD.,

The Proctor Valley Monster Project is a neat night cache also, but a bit of a drive.

Yes, I'm kidding about Hillcrest, although there are some caches up there; you may want to avoid going into a bar there :ph34r: .

Edited by Chuy
Hey DocDiTTo..if you want to do the most south westerly cache John and I have never done it either so we would be willing to take you. We both work in Coronado and I get off by 2-2:30 everyday..earlier if I go in earlier.. so we would be happy to escort you south. It's all up to you...

I would definitely like to get the southwesternmost cache. And the Forbidden forest that Chuy mentioned looks really neat too. I love night caches. :ph34r:

Wednesday afternoon (from about noon on) I've got no plans, it's "free time" as far as my conference is concerned, which means caching time to me.

I'll email you with my cell number too. Really glad you folks and Chuy are willing to help me out. If you're ever in the Harrisburg, PA area and need a cache guide, you got one. :ph34r:

I must point out that Coronado is a place you want to cache during daylight hours.  So is the most Southwesternly since it's on a state park.  Has the road re-opened? or do you have to walk the mile and half, each way?

I'm thinking I could drive you down to the Forbidden Forest.  Maybe even CHUD.

The Proctor Valley Monster Project is a neat night cache also, but a bit of a drive.

Yes, I'm kidding about Hillcrest, although there are some caches up there; you may want to avoid going into a bar there  :ph34r: .

Why is Coronodo better to be done during the day? I keep meaning to take my bike down there and hit them all one night. A few years back I used to be down there every couple nights wandering around (and fishing on the pier). The police only stopped to talk with me a few times (they don't seem to have much going on out there).

I can understand not wanting to go to the most Southwesternly one at night since it would probably make the Border Patrol nervous.

Let me know what you guys end up doing. I might be able to tag along. If work is slow I can take off early and join in but I won't know until then. I will at least be available Tuesday after 6pm for sure though.

I would recommend deciding ahead of time when you want to do the Forbidden Forest and post for others to join. I know B.R.A. and Team Fatman are still looking to do that one.

and Hillcrest just isn't the same since they closed down Gaymart... :ph34r:

I would recommend deciding ahead of time when you want to do the Forbidden Forest and post for others to join. I know B.R.A. and Team Fatman are still looking to do that one.

After reading the writeup and the logs, this definitely sounds like a must-do cache! Since it has to be done after dark, pretty much any night would work for me. If this is one of those caches that's better done with an organized group, I'll leave it to you locals to pass the word. Just let me know what night and where I need to hitchhike to. :huh:

We have a cache here that sounds similar, it's called Cove Mountain Lights In The Night, and it requires a 7 mile hike along the Appalachian trail, at least half of which must be done after dark. I did it last summer with 3 other guys and we had a blast. It's one of the best caches I've ever done.

I must point out that Coronado is a place you want to cache during daylight hours.  So is the most Southwesternly since it's on a state park.  Has the road re-opened? or do you have to walk the mile and half, each way?

I'm thinking I could drive you down to the Forbidden Forest.  Maybe even CHUD.

Yes, I'm kidding about Hillcrest, although there are some caches up there; you may want to avoid going into a bar there  :huh: .

Why is Coronodo better to be done during the day? I keep meaning to take my bike down there and hit them all one night. A few years back I used to be down there every couple nights wandering around (and fishing on the pier). The police only stopped to talk with me a few times (they don't seem to have much going on out there).

I can understand not wanting to go to the most Southwesternly one at night since it would probably make the Border Patrol nervous.

Let me know what you guys end up doing. I might be able to tag along. If work is slow I can take off early and join in but I won't know until then. I will at least be available Tuesday after 6pm for sure though.

and Hillcrest just isn't the same since they closed down Gaymart... :)

Coronado is probably the safest place to be after dark. This is the community that gives "unwanteds" a free ride back over the bridge. They're all doctors and lawyers and retired admirals aren't they? Oh..in that case maybe daylight is better...

you may want to avoid going into a bar there  :huh: .

Off topic!!!

I had a u21 kid working for me who was looking for a U21 club to go to. I told him I did not know of any but he would not let up. So one Friday he asked again, I told him the only one I knew of was "The Flame" Well lets just say he had a GREAT TIME up to the point he tried to "Grab" a little. I guess the nite ended. :)B)

Boy!!!! did I hear about it Monday :):):)