Pinned Threads

As i dont use firefox is there a solution to the number of pinned threads at the top ? the UK forum seems to have the most

I agree they are all usefull re occuring themes that need to be easily accesible / pinned but is there a way to reduce the height of them without removing content ???

I personally quite like the coin forums pinned topic which links to key threads. maybe moving the congrats thread down here would make it more used as each new congrats would bump one topic not loads.

Just a thought :D

Here's one suggestion - just have three?

• Congratulations!!!!
  • Resources For Caching In The Uk And Ireland
  • Newbie Info!

Adopt-a-newbie! and Which Gps ? can be linked from Newbie Info

Gagb - News And Information and Uk Geocoin Group can be linked from Resources For Caching In The Uk And Ireland

Myself, I use firefox and make all the pinned threads disappear :D

My personal opinion is that we should ditch all the pinned topics, if for no other reason I (and I guess others) tend not to look at them anyway and miss anything that is important. What about having them as normal threads that appear with all others but having some links at the top of the page to the onext the would otherwise be "Pinned". This would require some coding by Groundspeak, but just a few lines of HTML.

My personal opinion is that we should ditch all the pinned topics, if for no other reason I (and I guess others) tend not to look at them anyway and miss anything that is important.

Couldn't agree more.....never looked, and never will :lol:

In that case you want a pinned topic with links to the real discussions, as suggested by markandlynn. This has the advantages that:

1. There is a single point to go to & find a topic (particularly when searches don't work!) for those that want it.

2. The actual discussions being linked to appear in the regular threads, so get bumped to the top when anyone responds.

Martyn

It apears the most popular idea is to have one pinned threads at the top which links to the other popular threads if they rise to the top it means someone has added something. Any duplicate posts can be locked and pointed in the right direction by the friendly locals :)

Congratulations!!!!

Adopt-a-newbie!

Newbie Info!

Uk Geocoin Group

Which Gps ?

Gagb - News And Information

Resources For Caching In The Uk And Ireland

COTM

Dust offs

Id suggest its a locked thread that only mods can add to

Personally I feel that the new suggested idea is not a good one, I think it will just cause a greater number of threads which will start, "I know this has probably been asked before"

Keep the pinned ones they are causing no problems, If anyone can place a rational argument as to the problems they cause then I will accept, but the old chestnut I never read them is not an argument, it is your choice.

I never read the sports pages in the newspaper but I have never complained and asked to have the sports news sprinkled elsewhere.

I do feel that there are some threads which could be combined, but having one overall thread for pinned threads is doomed to be a failure as it will confuse separate issues, and for instance if you have no interest in certain issues whey should I have to open a thread to see it is something of no interest.

Concatenate the similar threads then leave the system working like is is now.

Moote

I think a lot of times when I read "I know this has probably been asked before" it is something that is best placed in some form of FAQ. Any volunteer editors out there? Can I also point out that at least once in the last month someone has done just that for something that was in one of the pinned topic (geocion related I think). We are pinning topic not so we can find them when we want them or so everyone notices them, but instead to try and increate the chance of someone finding it when half the time they will not bother anyway and it not working effectively (IMHO). They cause me a problem because I can not easily keep track of a subject in them. I agree than one thread may not work, especially as we do not have the ability to delete postings, but it is worth a try and we can always go back if it does not work. What about one pinned topic with one post that is edited by a gullible moderator (who may or may not play golf) to links to topics that would normally be pinned.

Now surely if anything qualifies to be pinned at the top of the forums then this is it!

I've been lurking on & off in here for over a year and didn't know there was a FAQ. If there was a pinned topic at the top named "Forum FAQ" with a link to this document then I'm sure it'd eliminate many queries. e.g. I recently asked about cache photos, but my query is answered in the FAQ.

Concatenate the similar threads

Which ones should be joined etc ?

concatenate youv'e been using excel for FAR to long :(

Adopt a Newbie and Newbie Info, also GPS Info could all run in the same thread.

Group/Organisation threads really require leaving as people interested in these can easily see that new information is available

Congrats and Resources leave as are

This would leave just 5 pinned subjects.

Moote

P.P. Excel! never touch it, never had need to touch it! If I need data manipulation then it gets stored in my Desktop Oracle Database :(

Now surely if anything qualifies to be pinned at the top of the forums then this is it!

I've been lurking on & off in here for over a year and didn't know there was a FAQ. If there was a pinned topic at the top named "Forum FAQ" with a link to this document then I'm sure it'd eliminate many queries. e.g. I recently asked about cache photos, but my query is answered in the FAQ.

Thank you :(

Thank you :(

Surely it is just another resource so goes in the Resources Thread

I am getting a little lost here. I didn't think we were talking about merging the threads together that would be a big mess (IMHO) but letting them loose and just using a pinned thread, or pinned post to be more accurate to link to them.

I will add that people not knowing of the FAQ (or forgetting abount it in my case, again) does not justify using pinned threads unless we can show that people will used then, and I beleave thay do not.

I am getting a little lost here. I didn't think we were talking about merging the threads together that would be a big mess (IMHO) but letting them loose and just using a pinned thread, or pinned post to be more accurate to link to them.

I will add that people not knowing of the FAQ (or forgetting abount it in my case, again) does not justify using pinned threads unless we can show that people will used then, and I beleave thay do not.

I meant merge things which have common meanings Like Newbie stuff, and that I would think includes GPS Info, this would reduce them to a smaller quantity.

But (IMHO) no one has made a rational reasoning as to why any of the subjects should be unpinned. If you don't look at them, that can't be a reason it is your way of using the board.

concatenate youv'e been using excel for FAR to long :lol:

Group/Organisation threads really require leaving as people interested in these can easily see that new information is available

Moote

P.P. Excel! never touch it, never had need to touch it! If I need data manipulation then it gets stored in my Desktop Oracle Database :P

That sounds OK to me.

=concatenate(thread2,3) :D So

1)

Newcomer Information

2)

UK groups and information

3)

UK resources, groups and website

maybe include resources in no 2 ?and drop the congrats down to the main forum.

so i can get 3 threads not 5 so nanananana :P:D:lol:

or 4 if the congrats stays put !

concatenate youv'e been using excel for FAR to long :lol:

Moote

P.P. Excel! never touch it, never had need to touch it! If I need data manipulation then it gets stored in my Desktop Oracle Database :P

That sounds OK to me.

=concatenate(thread2,3) :D So

1)

Newcomer Information

2)

UK groups and information

3)

UK resources, groups and website

maybe include resources in no 2 ?and drop the congrats down to the main forum.

so i can get 3 threads not 5 so nanananana :P:D:lol:

or 4 if the congrats stays put !

I never said put Groups together I said leave as they are; both Group thread deal with different issues and should not be concatenated together

Despite there being a pinned congrats thread, people are posting individual congrats on the lower part of the board.  If people are not using a pinned thread, there is no point in having it.

535 posts so far, so it is helping :ph34r:

So how can people be encouraged to use the pinned thread rather than posting individual congrats? Can the individual messages be moved?

OK, I'll start.

Here, Lacto, have a comfy chair and this glass of wine. Second thoughts, take the bottle. There again, I'll just pop the crate and a corkscrew next to your chair...

All congratulations threads should be banned. That's not going to happen, so I think a fair compromise, is congrats threads for 100, 200, 500 & 1000, then every 1000 after that. (Has M1EYO reached 3000 yet :ph34r:)

Next!

I for one, think there should be more pinned threads. I can think of at least five:-

1. The "Previously answered thread" for all those posts relating to questions posed, and answered, many times before. eg "What PDA", "What software?", "WGS or OSGB datum" etc.........

2. The "I have no personal pride" thread for those posters who insist that correct grammar and spelling have no role in life. (Just let them try to apply for a job in which I have a say in the final appointment).

3. The "Flamers thread" for those self opinionated posters who like nothing more than starting trouble for those gullible enough to rise to the bait. (Mea culpa!!)

4. The "I have nothing better to do" thread for those posters who have nothing better to do and feel that they must reply to every post.

5. The "Old Timers thread" for those, like myself, who have been in this "sport" for some time and who still remember Waypoint Workbench as being the Dog's B******s, to discuss the real issues involving Geocaching.

No responses required...........

2. The "I have no personal pride" thread for those posters who insist that correct grammar and spelling have no role in life. (Just let them try to apply for a job in which I have a say in the final appointment).

Is the "I have no personal pride" portion of quote above an opinion or a fact ?

Edited by t.a.folk
Are we having the mini-discussion or the full scale stand-up row this time?

Oh! I think the full scale war this time. I need something to keep me occupied this evening :ph34r:;):mad:

:ph34r: OK. War it is....

Please, let's get rid of all the Congratulations posts! Why can't folks send their fellow cachers a friendly "Congratulations" email if they feel the need to congratulate them?... Or simply say "Well done!" if they happen to frequent the Chatroom?

It's a "personal" choice whether you congratulate someone and it's not necessary to have a "public" post.

MrsB :mad:

(Ready to duck behind her settee...)