Map 60cx "not Connected" Any More

Timpat

I'm a very happy owner of a new Map 60CX. I've had it for about one week and have used it extensively. Last night when I connected it to my PC via the USB cable, it would not connect as it has done successfully so many times prior. Under setup I have the interface set (as always) to Garmin. When plugging the USB in it beeps and gets power through the USB. When I plug my trusty old 60C in via USB there is no problem connecting. I updated the firmware (v.2.50) twice, and did a hard re-set twice, and updated the USB driver from the Trip & Waypoint manager CD.

Is perhaps a driver corrupt for my CX? It worked fine one afternoon, then not that evening. When I connect my 60CX via USB at my office, it works fine, so it must be something to do with my home PC. Any advice of my mystery? Is there a way to un-install a driver, and re-install it? I looked in device manager and under USB controllers I see 10 USB drivers and don't know which is associated with a Garmin or my 60CX. I'm in unfamiliar territory here!

[edit: I can still connect via a serial cable to my CX]

Thanks in advance,

If you already checked in Device Manager and did not see any devices flagged yellow, then reinstalling the driver is probably a smart next step. I just checked on my PC: when I connect my 60c to the USB cord and power on the 60c, the "Generic USB Hub" device is highlighted under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in my Device Manager (Windows XP).

If you right click on that device (assuming it's the same), you can either "install driver" or "uninstall". You could try "install driver" first. If that doesn't work, you can uninstall the device; the operating system should be smart enough to reinstall the driver the next time you connect.

Thanks so much guys for the responses! I was looking for those forum links and without the search function I didn't know where to begin. I'm currently at work, but as soon as I check these suggestions out at home I'll let it be known how I make out. Thanks again!

Boy, Geocachers are the Best! A huge thanks to Sputnik57 and GeoBobC! When I returned home tonight I followed the excellent suggestions and found that my problem with the USB not connecting was in fact a driver issue. Why it happened I can't say, but it's working again!

I did go into the device manager and when I turned on my 60CX I could see which device it was as it did highlight yellow. However, it showed up (I'm running XP, too) as its own listing named "GARMIN Devices" (under "Floppy disk controllers" on my PC). When I expand that it lists "Garmin USB GPS". I right-clicked and un-installed it, then disconnected my 60CX, and re-connected it and turned the unit on. The listing reappeared, so I right-clicked and told it to Update Driver. It went and found the proper USB driver and, voila!, it works!!! My 60CX and PC are on speaking terms once again! What a relief, thought it was looking like a trip back to Olathe.

After trying everything mentioned in this thread and the threads that are linked in here, I still couldn't get my computer to recognize my gps. I installed, uninstalled, installed, updated, uninstalled, installed, etc., ad nauseum.

Then I remembered that I had a micro SD Card reader, plugged my micro SD Card into that, plugged it in to the usb port and voila, Map Source saw it right away. I now have all of the topo maps for BC and most of Alberta on my gps, without the frustration of trying to figure out why my POS computer wouldn't detect my Garmin gps for more than 3 seconds.

It's an easy work around for anyone else who's having issues. If you have a card reader already, the little adaptors for your micro SD card are cheap and it's certainly less frustrating than having to figure this out.

After trying everything mentioned in this thread and the threads that are linked in here, I still couldn't get my computer to recognize my gps. I installed, uninstalled, installed, updated, uninstalled, installed, etc., ad nauseum.

Then I remembered that I had a micro SD Card reader, plugged my micro SD Card into that, plugged it in to the usb port and voila, Map Source saw it right away. I now have all of the topo maps for BC and most of Alberta on my gps, without the frustration of trying to figure out why my POS computer wouldn't detect my Garmin gps for more than 3 seconds.

It's an easy work around for anyone else who's having issues. If you have a card reader already, the little adaptors for your micro SD card are cheap and it's certainly less frustrating than having to figure this out.

In the past couple of years I've experienced a few times when my 60CSx is not recognized by Windows XP Pro SP 2. It always seemed to happen after using gStart but I never took the time to be sure if that was the culprit or just a coincidence. My problem was always that the USB driver was no longer being recognized.

If you haven't already tried this then I would suggest going to Garmin's website and downloading and saving the USB Drivers file to a folder called USB Drivers; C:\Gamrin\USB Drivers. No need to uninstall anything. Then plug in your GPSr and open Mapsource, when your GPSr is not recognized, browse and tell Mapsource to search for the driver in the folder you just downloaded and saved (c:\Garmin\USB Drivers). This way if your ever encounter the problem again the Drivers are saved and is a simpe fix to recover the driver for your GPSr and when using a friends GPSr on your computer. This may not be your problem, but is usally the problem and simple enough to try.

I have a 76CSx. I've noticed that, if I shut down the GPS and then disconnect it, the thing works fine the next time I hook it up to the computer. However, if I simply unplug it from the computer without turning it off first, it will tend to not be recognized properly the next time I hook it up.