Marking Forum Read

Dale_Lynn

Umm.... It seems after a visit, and I come back, all the forum I have read still show all messages as unread.... Yes I can "mark" each forum manually with tools on site, but is there a feature to "mark all forums read" when I quit site?. It would be nice to see just new messages since I last visited site...

Help point me to specific tool(s) if they exist...

Dale

Go to the main forum page Groundspeak Forums and scroll down to the bottom just above the Board Statistics and there's a text link to "Mark all posts as read"

I have the same problem or one close to it. I'm missing the old flag that said there were "new posts". I never quite understood the rules, but it looked like if you hadn't read a thread in the last x hours, it was marked as though you had and a message was at the top level of the board that told you there were new posts in the particular topic. The new orange "unread" flag is close in functionality, but if a thread is unread, the flag apparently persists forever or until manually reset, not for just a few hours like the "new posts" method seemed to do.

As you suggest, it's easy enough to mark all posts "read", but it has to be done as a manual operation each time the reader leaves the forums. I think the OP was asking for some setting that would automatically mark all posts as read when he leaves the forum.

I have the same problem or one close to it. I'm missing the old flag that said there were "new posts". I never quite understood the rules, but it looked like if you hadn't read a thread in the last x hours, it was marked as though you had and a message was at the top level of the board that told you there were new posts in the particular topic. The new orange "unread" flag is close in functionality, but if a thread is unread, the flag apparently persists forever or until manually reset, not for just a few hours like the "new posts" method seemed to do.

The forums usually show this via the icon for each forum section; the icon would be faded when there are no new posts. When we made the modification to use custom icons for each forum, we assigned the same icon for both states and instead, added the little "new" image to the right of the text. It was just an oversight that we forgot to add the "new" image back in this new version. We'll put that back in there soon.

:blink: Elias

The forums usually show this via the icon for each forum section; the icon would be faded when there are no new posts. When we made the modification to use custom icons for each forum, we assigned the same icon for both states and instead, added the little "new" image to the right of the text. It was just an oversight that we forgot to add the "new" image back in this new version. We'll put that back in there soon.

:blink: Elias

Great - thanks!

As you suggest, it's easy enough to mark all posts "read", but it has to be done as a manual operation each time the reader leaves the forums. I think the OP was asking for some setting that would automatically mark all posts as read when he leaves the forum.

Exactly!

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

:) Elias

I'm not sure that's the problem. For example, I'm seeing both the light blue and dark blue icons. But there are dark blue icons on topics that haven't been posted to in 3 days. It's as if they're not checking against the last time I was on.

The little orange square is supposed to show which thread has new post since last visit and clicking it will bring us to the last message we have read. But there are orange square all over the place at each visit.

Same for everyone or just me? Becaue it is possible I have a problem with my cookies...

I'm in the same boat as Prime Suspect. After I've read a thread, the dark blue icon turns to a light blue icon. That's good.

Trouble is, older topics without new postings are showing up as dark blue. That is, all threads, except for the ones which I've read most recently, are indicating new posts. In the previous forums, only topics which had new posts since my last visit were shown as such.

Jamie

I'm in the same boat as Prime Suspect. After I've read a thread, the dark blue icon turns to a light blue icon. That's good.

Trouble is, older topics without new postings are showing up as dark blue. That is, all threads, except for the ones which I've read most recently, are indicating new posts. In the previous forums, only topics which had new posts since my last visit were shown as such.

Jamie

That happened the first time I logged into the "new" forums. One click on the Mark All Post as Read button near the bottom of the main page solved that...

Edited by Stunod

That happened the first time I logged into the "new" forums. One click on the Mark All Post as Read button near the bottom of the main page solved that...

Nope. I did that yesterday, and today it's doing the same thing again. I think it may be tracking access times for each individual topic, instead of when you enter the forum in general.

I'll try that.

Nope. I did that yesterday, and today it's doing the same thing again. I think it may be tracking access times for each individual topic, instead of when you enter the forum in general.

Hm. I'm going to try Stunod's advice and report back. Maybe it's just you.

Jamie

Ok.. well I tried Stunod's suggestion, but it's still not working how I think it should.

In the previous forums, each time you visited the forums, the icons lit up for only those threads which had new posts to them since the last time you visited. These forums, threads that have new topics stay lit up forever or until you read them.

Example, since yesterday I've read maybe 1/3 of the threads in the Geocaching.com forum. I've visited the forums four or five time, yet there are still topics near the bottom of the list which haven't had a new post since yesterday showing up as having new posts.

I'm surprised more people aren't speaking up about this. Is this not happening to everyone, or do most people not care if the icons stay lit up even if the thread really doesn't have new posts?

I'm hoping this is just a bug or setting which will be ironed out soon.

Jamie

I marked a section as all read and on my next visit I was seeing little orange squares only on the messages that have been updated since my last visit so now it's ok for me.

This is what I do. I scroll through, read the threads I am interested in, then scroll back to the top and hit the button to access the "Mark Forum as Read" menu.

I prefer it this way because sometimes I can't get to all the threads I want to read in one sitting. When I come back, the "new posts" are still there from the last visit, along with any new ones.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

:mad:

Still the system is not marking all forums read as I exit it.....

I dont think one should have to do this manually each time they leave....

I understand some people may not liking this method of marking things read so why is it not an option to set up in personal profile to either enable or disable this option...

Dale

I forgot to specify that I had to do the mark forum as read only once. Now I don't do it anymore and I see little orange squares according to what is new since my last visit.

EDIT: I was WRONG! I haven't noticed 1st because I was visiting too often but now I have little orange squares up to 2 days ago and I visited last night so... Houston, we've got a problem!

Edited by Rhialto

Guess we are just whistling in the wind here... No hope of getting paramters changed for having all forims marked read when exiting system....

It a a pain in the butt to have to do it everty time I exit system after a visit....

And If I forget I finds I am reading stuff I have previously read....

Dale

I do a search new post when I enter. At the top of the page there is a mark all post as read. It seems to work from that page for me.

True, but its still an extra step we did not have to do before.

And the way the 'Quote' button confuses me, I keep hitting the one on the response before the one I want to quote, but thats just something I will have to get used to.

Edited by Blanston12

Still the system is not marking all forums read as I exit it.....

I dont think one should have to do this manually each time they leave....

I understand some people may not liking this method of marking things read so why is it not an option to set up in personal profile to either enable or disable this option...

Dale

Guess we are just whistling in the wind here... No hope of getting paramters changed for having all forims marked read when exiting system....

It a a pain in the butt to have to do it everty time I exit system after a visit....

And If I forget I finds I am reading stuff I have previously read....

Dale

I do a search new post when I enter. At the top of the page there is a mark all post as read. It seems to work from that page for me.

True, but its still an extra step we did not have to do before.

I agree with all of these statements. This is the first time on any board that I have been on that requires a manual way of marking all threads read and not having it done automatically. Very confusing at first when are not used to it and it took me until yesterday to figure it out. My $0.02. Sometimes changes are good and necessary and sometimes they are evil and unnecessary. :D