I'm New: ...garmin 60csx Or Magellan Explorist Xl ?

KevinK7

I hope this is the right place to ask...

I'm new at this GPS stuff, and looking to purchase a unit to use both for hiking/ATV'ing and for autorouting a roadtrip in the car.

From what I've read, ...I like the features of the Garmin 60csx (but screen is a bit smaller than I'd like), ....however I just stumbled upon the Magellan Explorist XL, ...and I very much like the idea of a larger screen.

Any suggestions on which of these two units? and/or does anyone know of a source (ie. website) that has a table that compares features (ie. pros/cons) between these two units?

Thanks in advance for any information,

Kevin

...Great site by the way :mad:

Both units are pretty new, and so both of them are shaking out a few start-up bugs...but I think they're both very promising units that will be nice with a little firmware polishing. My impression is that Garmin is more apt to address firmware updates in a timely manner (it took about a year to get the first firmware update for my Explorist 500).

The bigger screen of the XL gives one advantage for autorouting, but read this thread for other autorouting differences between Garmin and Magellan.

Unless that large screen is really attractive to you, I'd go for th 60csx.

Hi,

I've recently went through this comparison too. I really like the screen size of the xl, and it looks like the csx and the explorists receivers are compariable, but the autorouting on the handheld was the deciding factor for me. As of this moment, I plan on buying the 60cx, unless magellan improves this between now and when I buy (in a month or so).

Embra,

Is the autorouting part of the handheld firmware, or is it something that gets installed with the maps when you upload it?

TIA!

Randy

...Thanks for the reply, ...and the link. It does seem the general concensus is for Garmin based on functionality.

I'm wondering for those that have used the 60csx in the car, ...how "readable" is it? ...does it provide text 'messages' for upcoming turns?, ...or just the arrows?

(My primary use will be for hiking/outdoors, ...but I would like it be 'useable' in the car.)

Thanks again for the reply...

...Thanks for the reply, ...and the link. It does seem the general concensus is for Garmin based on functionality.

I'm wondering for those that have used the 60csx in the car, ...how "readable" is it? ...does it provide text 'messages' for upcoming turns?, ...or just the arrows?

(My primary use will be for hiking/outdoors, ...but I would like it be 'useable' in the car.)

Hi,

check this out. it's for the garmin 60C (not the cx), but it should be similer

60c(s) review

and here are some pictures of 60c(s) screens which include some turn by turn screens.

I also think there are a set of different beeps/noises that are assoicated to events like turn coming, etc. But I've not seen it since I don't have one yet.

Is the autorouting part of the handheld firmware, or is it something that gets installed with the maps when you upload it?

It's not exactly an either/or situation, although I think it makes sense to say that the detailed maps usable for autorouting are generated on the PC, and the firmware in the GPSr uses the maps to do route creation on demand (and monitors route progress, etc.). I would suppose the biggest impact for the user is the firmware's functionality. I have been informed, for example, of some slight differences in the ways that the 60/76 series implement the CitySelect maps vs. the way the Quest does them.

On the Magellan side, as we wait to see more of what DirectRoute 3.0 looks like, there is hope for some useful improvements. It's hard to assess right now because there wasn't enough detail information in the new product blurb on the Magellan site, and those who have unlocked the DVD version of DR 3.0 (the only place currently available) are acquiring it for the first time--and thus can't really compare it to earlier versions.

...I'm still 'on the fence' with this.

Anyone else that has the Explorist XL (or 500 for that matter, ...apparently it is roughly the same) that does use it for AutoRouting, ...just curious to hear from other user's opinions.

...the larger screen is a big factor, ...but I'm concerned that the Explorist mapping (and possibly other features) don't 'cut it' compared to the Garmin (60csx).

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks for the reply, ...yes, the link Embra inlcuded (where you two were explaining autorouting) was very helpful)

(keeping in mind, I've never used one of these GPS units) I have a couple questions:

From the linked thread, etc. Am I correct in that the Explorist (ie. XL) will only allow you to autoroute using 'shortest distance', ...and NOT a route that would be better in a (car,truck, bike, etc.)?

When an autoroute is displayed on a Garmin (ie. 60csx) does the highlighted route follow the exact road (and not 'straight line' as seen in some of the Magellan screen shots)? http://www.gpsbabel.org/tips/arcmap.html

Thanks,

Kevin

From the linked thread, etc. Am I correct in that the Explorist (ie. XL) will only allow you to autoroute using 'shortest distance', ...and NOT a route that would be better in a (car,truck, bike, etc.)?

When an autoroute is displayed on a Garmin (ie. 60csx) does the highlighted route follow the exact road (and not 'straight line' as seen in some of the Magellan screen shots)?

I don't think anyone really knows what criteria the Explorist uses to route. I'm pretty sure it's not "shortest," but I don't think it's quickest either. It's some combination. That said, it routes how it wants. You don't have any input as to the type of route you want.

Both Garmin and Magellan units show the route following the exact road. The screen shots to which you are referring are showing the map with it zoomed way out. At that point the Magellan switches to straight line, but once you zoom in to typical zoom levels, it highlights the road correctly.

Jamie

The autoroute shows on the eXplorists as a green line on the roads not a straight line. Another page gives you the turn-by-turn directions with street name, distance and direction to the next turn. I have the eXplorist 500. The autorouting works, and in some cases, works well, but as many have said, the Garmin appears to have a better autoroute.

The main reason to get the explorists 400,500,600 are the low cost, convenient charging system, and the file management system, which is the best of any GPSr. If you are working much with waypoints, tracks and routes, nothing beats them for saving, moving, accessing and manipulating files.

For reasons to get the XL, same file management, and big color screen (but no Li-IOn battery).

Edited by EScout

I have used my 60 CSx in my truck and it does give text messages for approaching turns, big enough that I can read it and my eyes "ain't what they used to be", plus it beeps for approaching turns and then beeps again at the turn.

I received my 60csx this past week, and it is a blast to use in the Jeep. The beanbag mount lets me throw it up on the dash and I can extend it most of the way out towards me. It is very easy to read w/ large arrows showing the way. I was suprised at the route it took to some of my destinations, but it easily cut time off taking routes that I have never taken before. I am very stoked to go out and find some caches with my new unit. This is my first GPS unit, so I have nothing to reference it to. But I am very happy with my choice and wouldn't hesitate to make the purchase again. :anicute:

This may be what everyone has been saying (with regard to Garmin/CityNav and Magellan/Direct Route), ...but I want to make sure I understand this.

I was reading the Magellan site ( http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/products/drqsg.asp )

" DirectRoute calculates shortest time street routes. Shortest time street route calculation considers the speed limits and length of possible street paths between you and your destination. The shortest time route is not necessarily the fastest or simplest route. DirectRoute is tuned to provide reasonable street routes, but it doesn’t know about traffic, road construction, etc ..."

Does this imply that if you wanted to use 'secondary' roads, ...you wouldn't be able to specify this for the autoroute generated by Magellan's Direct route? ...Where with Garmin you WOULD be able to do so?

(Does anyone know of a link to a site that overviews City Nav autorouting such as the link above does for Direct route?)

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I'm not sure what this is called (I haven't pulled the trigger and ordered a unit yet), but I think of it as route by waypoint. In the post that Embra linked to (the magellan vs garmin autorouting) he mentions in the things that garmin can do that magellan can't is the insert waypoints to get a customized autoroute.

On a parallel note, Johnny Vegas mentioned in a recent thread (here) that both garmin/magellan has some new devices they plan on releasing this summer, and later. My hope is that either garmin releases a pda size screen like the XL, or magellan improves it's autorouting, which what Embra mentinoned may actually be firmware related rather than directroute related.

decisions decisions....

I wish they had an emoticon with smoke coming out if it's ears...

I wish they had an emoticon with smoke coming out if it's ears...

"

...I hear ya' on that one :D

...to note, ...Embra was commenting on that Direct Route (3.0) might be an improvement for Magellan, ...the link I included above (from Magellan's own site) seems to imply the autoroute is no different than it is today. (?)

I'm having a tough time foregoing the larger screen (XL), ...so now I find myself (again) looking at an ique M5 as a viable option (even though the 'ruggedness' of the 60csx in a huge plus)

By the time I make a decision, ...a newer product will be out ;)

Does this imply that if you wanted to use 'secondary' roads, ...you wouldn't be able to specify this for the autoroute generated by Magellan's Direct route? ...Where with Garmin you WOULD be able to do so?

That's pretty much the deal. You can specify the destination, and the GPS presumes the beginning to be where you are (on a saved route, you can specify the start and the finish). DirectRoute will figure what it thinks is the fastest way to get there. To "customize" it you have to either veer off on what you think to be a better way and force a recalculation from your current position, or you can break the route down into "subroutes" by chaining to a series of intermittent destination waypoints conforming to the route you want to take. A little cumbersome, but it's a workaround.

Garmins, OTOH, allow you to specify via points that create one overall route. It just works more the way a person would want it to work. Another cool thing (that I don't think was included in the other discussion) was that some Garmins (e.g., my Quest) will, for a given set of waypoints, create a "most efficent" route connecting them all.

It is confusing, and I think it's hard to fully grasp until you experience it. I'd say to not worry too much about making the perfect choice. Go for whatever seems best, and if it proves a disappointment sell it on eBay or in the garage sale here and try the other one. It's ok to change your mind.

That's pretty much the deal. You can specify the destination, and the GPS presumes the beginning to be where you are (on a saved route, you can specify the start and the finish). DirectRoute will figure what it thinks is the fastest way to get there. To "customize" it you have to either veer off on what you think to be a better way and force a recalculation from your current position, or you can break the route down into "subroutes" by chaining to a series of intermittent destination waypoints conforming to the route you want to take. A little cumbersome, but it's a workaround.

Garmins, OTOH, allow you to specify via points that create one overall route. It just works more the way a person would want it to work. Another cool thing (that I don't think was included in the other discussion) was that some Garmins (e.g., my Quest) will, for a given set of waypoints, create a "most efficent" route connecting them all.

It is confusing, and I think it's hard to fully grasp until you experience it. I'd say to not worry too much about making the perfect choice. Go for whatever seems best, and if it proves a disappointment sell it on eBay or in the garage sale here and try the other one. It's ok to change your mind.

Embra, ...Thanks for the post, ...and for all your help on this. As you've noted, I'm begining to see there are shortcomings and some 'workarounds' with ALL the units. I'm also beginning to realize that the decision on what unit to purchase partly revolves around the features it has, ...but moreso in deciding how I plan to use it...

Again, ...THANKS for your input. This board has been an invaluable tool in the decision process...

Hi Kevin

FWIW here’s my 2 cents. I had been looking at the same units you are. I’ve used a Etrex Vista for about a year now, with Metroguide. Screen size a bit smaller than the 60csx. Not color. On the trail it’s ok. In a car it is ok. On the motorcycle, kinda tough to see. Letters are small and more vibration. While riding I can only give it a quick glance. Eyes are not what they used to be. 40 something. :laughing:

I decided on the XL. The screen size it what sold me. I thought I might lose a couple features with the Magellan. Time will tell. Waiting on the new software. I can read the thing 4 feet away without my glasses. (ok 3 ½’). So far using it is not any harder, just different. All the basic stuff is there. I’ll see about the routing later. Good luck

Kurt

DrBugs,

...nope, ...still undecided.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one stuck in the decision cycle. I'm still reading as much as I can on the boards, ...and looking at prices. Right now I'm (ever so slightly) sided with the 60csx.

Two co-workers have the 60cs which they love (primarily if not soley for hiking). The other factor coming into play is customer service. I've actually called Garmin twice, ...and both times actually talked to a person and all my questions were answered. Sadly, ...on two attempts to call Magellan, ...I waited on hold for as long as I could and had to hang up before I was even sent to a human.

I really wanted to ask them more about the explorist XL, ...but not getting through has swayed me from them.

With that, ...I'm currently thinking, ...OK, ...a Garmin product. But as I still like the larger screen I started back looking at the M5 (that I originally was considering).

...so I'm curious on Kirt's expertience when he receives his Explorist.

...the only plus here is that by the time I decide, ...maybe the 60csx prices will drop ...?

DrBugs,

...nope, ...still undecided.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one stuck in the decision cycle. I'm still reading as much as I can on the boards, ...and looking at prices. Right now I'm (ever so slightly) sided with the 60csx.

Two co-workers have the 60cs which they love (primarily if not soley for hiking). The other factor coming into play is customer service. I've actually called Garmin twice, ...and both times actually talked to a person and all my questions were answered. Sadly, ...on two attempts to call Magellan, ...I waited on hold for as long as I could and had to hang up before I was even sent to a human.

Having two friends that have the same GPS would be a benefit. You can ask them questions and you guys can "geek" together. Customer support is very important as well.

I just got my 60csx for Christmas-wife paid for half of it :(

I have not played with it in the field but I really like the size etc.. I am still new to this unit.

My only real complaint so far is the way it handles maps. I am going by what I have read here so please correct me if I am wrong guys <_<

I have a 2GB uSD card for it and have read that you cannot load up various types of maps at the same time. I have read you cannot have topo maps as well as the City Navigator ones loaded up together. I would like to have the 24/M topo ones of near by state parks, the normal 100/M US topo ones that you can buy and maybe put the few states around me of the City Navigator which I did not even buy yet if at all.

Maybe in the future I would like some marine ones or whatever as well.

I was thinking a way around it may be that, since it saves everything on the uSD card as one file, I could set up various files with it and copy them with a PDA. Or just do a rename if I have enough space. I have not tried it yet and it would take some time to copy a 1+GB files anyway. Then the location of the uSD slot would make it hard to pop in and out.

Anyway just some random thoughts :(

Edited by 1_Paladin