Some New Stuff

JohnnyVegas

I got a chance to see the new Trimble GPS cell phone last week. THe retail should be about around $230,00 and $385.00. WHen th ephone is turned on it will grab the topo maps for the area it is in and display them on the screen. They use the National Geographic topo software and there is no charge for the map. I cannot find my reading glasses so this is all I have been able to read, Stupid smalll print

Edit to add, These two phone do not require a service contract, they are pre paid phones so you just put some money into the account and you are good to go.

From Magellan, the new V3 of direct is due to arrive at the deallers today. V3 will not require the use of the conversion manager to load maps into the GPS.

From National geo graphic, the new State series software will inculed both PC and Mac versions and it will also include GPX file support.

Magellan and Garmin both have new GPSr due out. some for the summer and some for the Holiday season, but they are not talking about what they have on the way.

Maglite has and LED cionversion comming out for the D cell maglites that will maintian the ablity to focust the beam, they also have AA Led lites that are comming. They had no pricing set for the AAs. THe upgrade to the D cells should sell for 20-25 dollars.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I got a chance to see the new Trimble GPS cell phone last week. THe retail should be about around $230,00 and $385.00. WHen th ephone is turned on it will grab the topo maps for the area it is in and display them on the screen. They use the National Geographic topo software and there is no charge for the map. I cannot find my reading glasses so this is all I have been able to read, Stupid smalll print

Edit to add, These two phone do not require a service contract, they are pre paid phones so you just put some money into the account and you are good to go.

From Magellan, the new V3 of direct is due to arrive at the deallers today. V3 will not require the use of the conversion manager to load maps into the GPS.

From National geo graphic, the new State series software will inculed both PC and Mac versions and it will also include GPX file support.

Magellan and Garmin both have new GPSr due out. some for the summer and some for the Holiday season, but they are not talking about what they have on the way.

Maglite has and LED cionversion comming out for the D cell maglites that will maintian the ablity to focust the beam, they also have AA Led lites that are comming. They had no pricing set for the AAs. THe upgrade to the D cells should sell for 20-25 dollars.

Hey Johnny,

I just saw your post. The LED Maglite conversions sound really good. I have a D cell Mag that I really like, but I have been considering getting an LED flashlight. If you don't mind keep us posted as you get more information about them!

Really? Well, Garmin just released the "x"... or are they known to be only an update of previous models instead while they will launch brand new models?

All Garmin and Magellan would say is that they have new products on the way

That's a very strange reaction from Magellan!!????

For several months, they kept us salivating for the release of the Explorist XL!!

Now they say "new models" due for release!!

I somehow don't feel compelled to "give a stuff"!!

It will be overpriced, have too many bugs, will be only for in car navigation, and they won't have a 12volt charger, and mounting bracket available for about 1 year!!! :o

Sound cynical?..........Nah!! not me! :lol:

The LED upgrade for the AA has been out for awhile, I got it plus a cap switch for mine. got some nice HOLSTER styles to hold things, all from the same GUY. Didn't want to put the Link here as it's probably not allowed. If you look carefully and put 2 and 2 together, try that. :o

Thanks for the HINT :lol:. How do you like the LED conversion? How does the brightness compare to the old one? I guess you don't need the spare bulb that comes in the battery cap!

The LED upgrade for the AA has been out for awhile, I got it plus a cap switch for mine. got some nice HOLSTER styles to hold things, all from the same GUY. Didn't want to put the Link here as it's probably not allowed. If you look carefully and put 2 and 2 together, try that. :lol:

That is not a Mag product, it is made by Bright Eyes, the new Maglite is a AA flashlight that use LED technology. The Conversion is for a D-cell mag-lite. the price should be 20-25 dollars.

The brightness is about the same as any LED flashlite. For myself, I am not a real big fan of LED flashlights so it is not something I would ever buy.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

All Garmin and Magellan would say is that they have new products on the way

For several months, they kept us salivating for the release of the Explorist XL!!

Now they say "new models" due for release!!

I somehow don't feel compelled to "give a stuff"!!

It will be overpriced, have too many bugs, will be only for in car navigation, and they won't have a 12volt charger, and mounting bracket available for about 1 year!!! :laughing:

Sound cynical?..........Nah!! not me! :laughing:

Not really, it is the same reaction from garmin, it is interesting that you do not find the garmin reaction strange.

Years ago Garmin and Magellan both would to post there new products on their web sites 6 months before the were shipped to the daelers. The dealers were not very happy about that because when ever the new products were anounced, the sales of the currnet lines would slow down almost to a full stop. Then when the new products came out the dealers were stuck with old mechandise that they would have to sell at a lose to get rid of.

There is a very small markup in GPS products so dealers do not have a lot of room to discount them.

The company is Nite Ize. The AA L.E.D. Upgrade is $4.95 at local Wally World. I bought a white one and it works pretty well. The L.E.D. Upgrade for C & D Cells is shipping March 06.