Electrical Boxes As Containers

lostndazed

I've seen some pictures of caches where the container has been some sort of electrical box. I'm just wondering how smart or safe this is.

From the point of safety. How long will it be before someone gets seriously hurt dismantling a live electrical fixture thinking it's a geocache?

Secondly, it would seem to me that they have to be placed on private property, which I believe is in violation of the rules.

I realize that we take a certain risk in our endeavours to go after caches and if you choose to dismantle an electrical fixture you're on your own but I just don't think it's good for geocaching in general.

I'm wondering about how you see this.

I think it depends on where you put them. Placing one in the vicinity of other electrical boxes that are live is certainly a bad idea, no matter how well it helps camoflauge the cache.

However, there are weatherproof electrical boxes that make good cache containers. We had one attached to a tree in the woods for a local cache and it work great until it was muggled.

Personally, I don't think it's such a good idea. Apparently, however, there is no limit on how dangerous a cache has to be or potentially be before it won't be listed, so you're pretty much on your own when it comes to safety. I suspect all that will change the first time someone is seriously injured hunting a cache listed on this site and Groundspeak is named as a defendant :anicute:

Personally, I don't think it's such a good idea. Apparently, however, there is no limit on how dangerous a cache has to be or potentially be before it won't be listed

I doubt that most listings for this type of hide make it obvious in the text, so the reviewers aren't likely to be aware.

...I suspect all that will change the first time someone is seriously injured hunting a cache listed on this site and Groundspeak is named as a defendant :cool:

Hopefully, the victim will be killed outright, and nobody will be aware that he was geocaching. :anicute:

Personally, I don't think it's such a good idea. Apparently, however, there is no limit on how dangerous a cache has to be or potentially be before it won't be listed

I doubt that most listings for this type of hide make it obvious in the text, so the reviewers aren't likely to be aware.

Actually, even if it were obvious, I'm pretty sure it would go through. Have you seen what passes for a geocache these days? And yes, I am hung up on that one, I think it's just plain wrong.

...I suspect all that will change the first time someone is seriously injured hunting a cache listed on this site and Groundspeak is named as a defendant :cool:

Hopefully, the victim will be killed outright, and nobody will be aware that he was geocaching. :anicute:

Good point. Natural selection at it's finest.

I have a cache in an electric box. It is on a utility pole in a public park. It is obvious that there is nothing connected to it (no pipes in or out). There are *no* other boxes on the poles in the vicinity. There is also a GC sticker on the box.

The listing has no (direct) reference to it being in an electric box. When people get on site, they see what the cache is in.

Personally I don't see this one as dangerous, sicne there is nothing else in the area that is a live box that people will go monkeying with.

I have a cache in an electric box. It is on a utility pole in a public park. It is obvious that there is nothing connected to it (no pipes in or out). There are *no* other boxes on the poles in the vicinity. There is also a GC sticker on the box.

The listing has no (direct) reference to it being in an electric box. When people get on site, they see what the cache is in.

Personally I don't see this one as dangerous, sicne there is nothing else in the area that is a live box that people will go monkeying with.

Yeah, that one is safe. There is another one not far away that uses a small electric box as stage one of a multi. No danger there, either. Like most things, it's a matter of common sense. I know of a micro that is not actually in and electrical box, but is hidden among them. That could be trouble. There are so many good places to hide a cache, that it just doesn't make sense to go with a questionable hide.

I've seen some pictures of caches where the container has been some sort of electrical box. I'm just wondering how smart or safe this is.

From the point of safety. How long will it be before someone gets seriously hurt dismantling a live electrical fixture thinking it's a geocache?

Secondly, it would seem to me that they have to be placed on private property, which I believe is in violation of the rules.

I realize that we take a certain risk in our endeavours to go after caches and if you choose to dismantle an electrical fixture you're on your own but I just don't think it's good for geocaching in general.

I'm wondering about how you see this.

As long as you aren't using wire cutters... :anicute:

Seriously, even if you take a screwdriver to the cover on the box, you'll see right away whether it's a cache or not. If there are wires inside, close the box back up. No harm, no foul.

If you get injured just by putting your hand on an electrical box, you need to file a complaint with the owner of the property.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

Obviously the geocache hides are safe but what happens when unsuspecting geocachers start poking around in live electrical boxes thinking they're cache sites? I worked in the electrical trade for 30+ years and I've seen some strange stuff. I think if these types of caches gain popularity that it is only a matter of time till someone gets hurt.

Obviously the geocache hides are safe but what happens when unsuspecting geocachers start poking around in live electrical boxes thinking they're cache sites? I worked in the electrical trade for 30+ years and I've seen some strange stuff. I think if these types of caches gain popularity that it is only a matter of time till someone gets hurt.

Darwin will weed them out.

Honestly, if you open any electrical box and poke around wondering what's in it, you deserve what you get. It's pretty obvious if it's real or not as soon as the cover comes off. Wires=bad, notepaper=good.

I'm glad an electrician weighed in. Don't most 'real' electrical boxes either have a safety seal on it or have a lever that requires that the juice is turned off prior to opening the door?

I'm with the blue guy on this one. I think I can tell if an electrical box is a cache or not; either before opening the door or immediately thereafter. Either way, I don't see the danger.