60cx Shuts Down When On Specific Icon.. Strange!

Mr. Grimm

Ok, this is a first... Was looking at the local city select map on the Cx and saw a spot I had not noticed before with a strange symbol.. The name of the point was "Herod Point" and it had an Icon of a large round blue circle with a single horizontal squigly line thru it (like an "s" on its side)... Out of curiosity, I cursured over the Icon and hit <ENTER>... The screen faded and the unit shut off... This was the weirdest thing I have seen yet. The error is repeatable... Went to many other points around it, and they come up fine. So far, it is just this one point.

I looked thru the icons on the Cx and in Mapsource, but it is not listed. Also, there is no Herod Point in my area. When I look at the Mapsource map of the area, there is nothing there. It is like a phantom point.

I loaded some custom POI files, but there is nothing with that name there either.

Anyone encountered this? Know what it could be? Not too worried about it, but curious.

Grimm-

I'm gonna take a stab at this and say that the Point of Interest in question is a tide station located at N40° 57.999' W72° 50.032'. When you click on it, the unit should produce a graph of the day's high and low tides as shown below. The unit is capable of doing the tide predictions, so I don't know why it's shutting down instead of producing the graph. Try another station. There should be one 10 miles to the West named "Mount Sinai Harbor", and another one 10 miles to the East named "Northville".

307856.JPG

Edit: give credit to Rubberhead for the images from THIS POST.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I'm gonna take a stab at this and say that the Point of Interest in question is a tide station located at N40° 57.999' W72° 50.032'. When you click on it, the unit should produce a graph of the day's high and low tides as shown below. The unit is capable of doing the tide predictions, so I don't know why it's shutting down instead of producing the graph. Try another station. There should be one 10 miles to the West named "Mount Sinai Harbor", and another one 10 miles to the East named "Northville".

307856.JPG

Edit: give credit to Rubberhead for the images from THIS POST.

Yes, it does appear to be a Tide station.. Looked under the Marine POI and tried a few more... Same thing happens with each I tried... Screen goes dim, then the unit just dies... This sounds like a serious bug.

Even took out the SD Card... Same thing happens when looking at Tide Stations.. This has to be a problem with the Firmware (2.40) in my unit. I just put an email into Garmin, lets see how they reply.

Grimm-

Edited by Mr. Grimm

Yes, it does appear to be a Tide station.. Looked under the Marine POI and tried a few more... Same thing happens with each I tried... Screen goes dim, then the unit just dies... This sounds like a serious bug.

Even took out the SD Card... Same thing happens when looking at Tide Stations.. This has to be a problem with the Firmware (2.40) in my unit. I just put an email into Garmin, lets see how they reply.

Grimm-

Do you have tide station data loaded? The data may be corrupt. Maybe you could try reloading it. From the link in question 2 of the Miscellaneous Section of the FAQ

If you visit the software download page for the Garmin GPSMap 162 or 168, you'll see a link on the right side for "Download Recommended MapSource US Tides Software" (see download page here). As long as you have MapSource installed, you can download this software and it will get added to your list of available products in MapSource as "GPSMAP 162/168 Tide Points".

The next step is to download the Tide Points. This is just like any other map download from MapSource. Select the map sets and maps you want, including the Tide Points you want, and proceed with the download.

Once you have done this, your "Find" page will have an option for "Marine". Select it and you will see an icon for "Tide Station" in there. It works great on the 60CS; I'm not sure why they only present it for the 162 and 168.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Hey, I have the same thing on my 60CSx after I loaded 300 mb worth of City Select, and Topo maps! I didn't know what that blue circle meant either. I just thought that it was some new Icons they decided to put into the x models.

I think this must be a bug because the tide stuff is not suppose to appear with City Select maps right? or perhaps it's now NOT replacing the base maps in the 60CSx since we're using external memory.

Edited by jcc123

Do you have tide station data loaded? The data may be corrupt. Maybe you could try reloading it. From the link in question 2 of the Miscellaneous Section of the FAQ

Ok, this is a good start... You mean I have to have other software loaded than what comes with the unit for Marine? If that is the case, then why would the Tide Points show up at all?

If you visit the software download page for the Garmin GPSMap 162 or 168, you'll see a link on the right side for "Download Recommended MapSource US Tides Software" (see download page here). As long as you have MapSource installed, you can download this software and it will get added to your list of available products in MapSource as "GPSMAP 162/168 Tide Points".

The next step is to download the Tide Points. This is just like any other map download from MapSource. Select the map sets and maps you want, including the Tide Points you want, and proceed with the download.

Once you have done this, your "Find" page will have an option for "Marine". Select it and you will see an icon for "Tide Station" in there. It works great on the 60CS; I'm not sure why they only present it for the 162 and 168.

Without going thru the dload from Garmin, My unit already has the Tide Points and I have a POI category for Marine. The unit has these POI even when the SD card is removed from the unit.

Grimm-

I only have a 76S, but the icon sounds like a tide station. If so, it would likely be part of the marine POI file which goes away if you load maps.

Well, my card is fully loaded with maps. Does this mean that the Icon should not be there?

No, it would mean that my brain wasn't entirely in gear. The tide station database is permanent in some units, apparently the 60cx is one of them, I knew the 76S was. Having had the chance to fire mine up last night it does show a Herod Point tide prediction station at that location.

I only have a 76S, but the icon sounds like a tide station. If so, it would likely be part of the marine POI file which goes away if you load maps.

Well, my card is fully loaded with maps. Does this mean that the Icon should not be there?

No, it would mean that my brain wasn't entirely in gear. The tide station database is permanent in some units, apparently the 60cx is one of them, I knew the 76S was. Having had the chance to fire mine up last night it does show a Herod Point tide prediction station at that location.

Is there a way to turn this off in the map setup page?

Is there a way to turn this off in the map setup page?

In the Map Setup menu on the GPSmap 76S the tide stations can be turned off, but that is the kind of thing that seems to change from one generation to the next for no apparent reason.