Best Geocaching News Article

M-T-P

This has got to be one of the best, most informative and accurate descriptions of geocaching that I've read in the news yet. It mentions some "bad" aspects of the game if you want to consider that, but also really focuses on the benefits and enjoyment of the sport. If you were thinking about sharing geocaching with local land managers or the police, this would probably be a great article to reference.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.southflorida.com/news/cl-wk-cov...-news-headlines

Seen better, seen worse. This article's strength was how it described the actual cache hunts. Its weakness was its slant towards chasing the numbers, and being a geek.

Usually when I want to show someone a news article, I choose a few that feature families with kids. When I'm asked for interviews, I always bring my daughter along -- especially if there's a photographer coming. Also, choose articles from newspapers in or near the area -- not a local paper from across the country.

A good source for news articles is the Geocaching in the News page. I've found that only the well-written, positive articles get collected there.

1. Steve O'Gara should consider thinking before speaking

Yet you see his ilk on these forums every day - "I can't be bothered to find the hours of local parks" is but a milder version of his actions.

I disagree. He specifically stated that he drives where he should not.

Of course, I've never seen anyone post that they can't be bothered to get the hours. This is different than there not being hours posted at the entrance that you used. Of course this is fodder for the other thread, not this one.

Steve O'Gara should consider thinking before speaking

Elde's post forced me to read this post.

I'd word it a little stronger and say Mr. O'Gara should keep his mouth shut. Not only that, but he needs to watch his actions.

Why hasn't anyone stood up to this person and tell him to chill? This is exactly the type of actions that get us kicked out of some areas.

What they didn't mention in this article is that Steve has 146 cache hides also. That is also a very good number (#56 in the world)!

I've had the pleasure of geocaching with Steve and you have to realize that he has a wicked sense of humor. I'd say that the writer did not always know what was the truth and what was a joke on him. Yes, Steve likes to drive as close as he can to a cache, but even caching in the desert, I didn't see him or anyone in our group of 11 vehicles drive over anything they shouldn't have.

The day he had the LA Times reporter and photographer, Steve visited a couple of my caches. I was hoping to see one in a photo - but it wasn't meant to be.

If you want to look it up, the photo of his Jeep from a distance going up a hill from that day as they searched for "Cache4Fun-01" (GCCA04) - a perfect description of what the whole point of this sport is.

...I've had the pleasure of geocaching with Steve and you have to realize that he has a wicked sense of humor. I'd say that the writer did not always know what was the truth and what was a joke on him. ...

Obviously, he should have been more mindful of what he said. I'm apt to make sarcastic comments that can be misinterpreted. However, when speaking with a reporter, I know that I can't do that.

Why hasn't anyone stood up to this person and tell him to chill? This is exactly the type of actions that get us kicked out of some areas.

I cache with this person all the time. Steve is a real joker but doesn't go out and willfully destroy sensitive areas as the article may imply. He loves the sport, but wouldn't comment any reckless acts to restrict it. I think you guys need to chill.

Well, I've never met the #3 geocacher in the world in person (measured by finds), though I've chatted with him online. I *am* friends with the #1 geocacher in the world (measured by finds). She would gag if she read the term "world champion" being used to describe her.

It is not so much the persons who are being critiqued, it is the words in the article, and how they come across to the uninitiated reader. I've had good quotes and bad quotes come out in print when I've given interviews, yet I'm still the same person with the same views.

it is the words in the article, and how they come across to the uninitiated reader.

I think this is why people on this forum would get upset. This guy may have said all of that about driving his jeep over bushes as tongue in cheek but the reporter would just want "juice" for his story and would take it out of context. I'm sure this guy is a hoot to be around when caching but I feel he could have chosen his words better.

Edited by Torchbearer

Steve O'Gara should consider thinking before speaking

Elde's post forced me to read this post.

I'd word it a little stronger and say Mr. O'Gara should keep his mouth shut. Not only that, but he needs to watch his actions.

Have you even considered that maybe it's the fault of the pinhead reporter who has absolutely no idea what "context" and "sense of humor" mean? Aren't reporters supposed to do a little research before they publish their drivel? Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who's asked about Steve will tell you he has a very, very dry, glib sense of humor, and that he rarely opens his mouth without making a joke. I've only met the man a handful of times and learned that about him in seconds. It's not tough to discern, even for pinheaded reporters.

But hey, if you feel like martyring him for your crusade, go right ahead. I doubt he cares, however, for surely he's too busy out finding caches.

The article in the LA Times was pretty good and a true representation of the hobby. It's tries to touch on a little bit of the contraversy surrounding geocaching, but can only go so far in the space it is given.

I'm a little suprised at the negativity to Mr. O'Gara exhibited here. I've met him once and and chatted with him online. He seemed pleasent and friendly. Now, I don't know what he has done to deserve anyone's hostility, but I don't see anything in the article about him that makes us look bad.