Newbie Question - Mac User

DavidATL

Hello,

I got an Garmin etrex (yellow model) for my birthday and I'm trying to figure out to hunt for my first cache, which is literally about 300 yards from my house.

Anyway, I've been trying to figure out how to manually enter coordinates into my GPS. Either I'm completely missing something or that is not an option.

From looking around the forum, it seems that the way to get coordinates into the unit is to download them and use easyGPS to transfer the data. That software is only available for PC's as far as I can tell.

I hate to ask a question that has probably been asked a thousand times, but can anyone shed some light on this for me? Can I manually input? Is there good mac software available?

Thanks.

ok heres the deal. you can enter them manually but it was kind of a pain in the rear end. read the manual it will tell you how (RTFM MAN) read the fine manual.

as for macs, yes theres plenty of good software out there.

first you will need a keyspan serial adaptor (that is if your using a mac without a serial port, and you should be) oh and you will need a serial cable for your gps. since the yellow dont come with them, they are available on ebay pretty cheap. garmin sells them for like $30 though. they come with all the other etrex models.

then you will need something like link2gps and gpswrite by hiketech.com they are excellent software ive been using them a couple of years now.

there are some others out there as well..

if you have any more questions ask and i will try and answer..

you also might try this site...

http://jfatherton.0catch.com/MacCMConvert/geomac.html

Thanks for the info, I've purchased the serial cable and found the adapter. I will research the software options you suggested. I did read the f-in manual, I guess I missed the manual coordinate entry section so I will go back and find out how to do that as well.

Thanks again.