Advice On New Gps Please?

jj650

wanting to upgrade from my ETREX. just tired of no signal in heavy foliage. i am looking for a new one to use for caching, hunting, traveling, in that order. i do most of my caching on my motorcyle, so screen clarity and size is a must (the etrex is ok on the bike). accuracy is a major concern. i want to be able to use it for trips, mainly for city use once getting close to destination. don't really want to spend an arm and a leg for it, i have found all my caches with the etrex so far, just want to expand my uses. thanks ahead for any help!

You'll need to define what an arm-and-an-leg means to you ;) .

Seriously, $300? $500?

The Etrex have relatively good reception in foliage; the Map60CS are not known to be significantly better - nor the Magellans. The only GPS I have heard that will grab satellites significantly better is the new MAP60CSX; it'll run you about $500 plus $130 for the optional mapping software.

The Etrex Legend C would be a good unit to upgrade to as it has color screen and redraws maps alot faster than the regular Legend & Vistas. Plus, your Etrex accessories will fit perfectly.

I have the Vista C with City Select installed for auto-routing. It works great and is very durable.

I paid less than $400 for it, the software, and the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette-lighter adapter. ;) Now that the new units are out, this particular model might be even more economically-priced.

I posted the following review on Amazon about my (Garmin) Rino 530. It also covers the 60cs and the 76cs. I love the Rino and I would definetly recommend it, especially if you can get a friend to get the same thing (the walkie-talkie, and national weather channel features are great). If you don't get the rino 530, get the 60cs. Here is my review I posted on Amazon:

This is probably the only gps I will ever buy, so I did a lot of research. I could not decide between the Rino 530, 60CS, & the 76CS. In the end I obviously went with the Rino 530, and I will tell you why.

First I will compare the pros and cons of these three models.

76CS-

Pros- Floats. Has 115mb of memory (about double any other hand held gps). A built in tide chart (If you don't work at sea, I'm not sure how necessary it is, but it sounds fun). AA battery pack. And the other standard quality features that the other units offer.

Cons- All reports lead to a poor antenna due to being internal (my brother owns this model and purchased an external cable that serves as an antenna and he said it worked great after that). The format of the unit is awkward. The buttons are above the screen and the width of the gps, kind of requires the use of both hands. (My brother purchased an external antenna for this model though, and it has worked much better for him since).

60CS-

Pros- Most of the bells and whistles that the other two have, with a strong, convenient interface. The external antenna creates a great signal. AA battery pack and the least expensive of the three. This unit looks like the rino (minus the radio antenna) but with the button structure of the 76cs (only with the buttons on bottom).

Cons- Less memory than the 76, a few less extras (does not float, etc.). Even with this being an older model, everyone with whom I spoke told me that if I were going to get the 60 or the 76, to get the 60 because of the external antenna's increased signal.

Rino 530- Having the radio is a fun feature. The listing states that it has 14 mile range, which I am content to accept as 5 miles, so far the range has been adequate where ever I have traveled in a 8 mile range (it cuts out a little sometimes, but it works pretty well). The icon to see your friends and family is fun if you know somebody else that has a rino. My father and best friend purchased their rinos the same time I did, so there are three of us. By myself the radio feature would be a lot less exciting (though my Motorola walkie-talkies can sink up and broadcast with the rino on the same channels). The rino has everything the 60 has plus national weather broadcast (I enjoy that more than I thought I would. I push a button and the radio broadcasts the report for the area). You can now also purchase the AA battery pack for the long distance treks (I own it and it works great).

Cons- The radio does cut out a little while I am communicating. The unit locks up sometimes at random intervals (though Garmin is really good about providing free updates from their site for individual units. So I am confident that will be fixed soon through updates).

Through personal searching you will be able to find more general comparisons. I had a hard time deciding. What put me over the top was finding out that AA battery pack will be available. When I first received my rino I was very careful opening it, so if I was not satisfied I would be able to resell it. I broadcasted on full volume and the signal was strong enough to distort my television signal, then I new this was the unit for me.

I have had the rino for about a week now, and I have loved it. The road guidance feature is awesome, but the map I have is out dated and distorts it (so I purchased the "Garmin City Navigator V7" and it is much better. My gps is still new, so I use it everywhere I go (just for practice). It beeps to notify me in advance when I am going to turn. It is so helpful.

The radio works well. The antenna works well. It takes about a day, but once you get it down, it is very simple (oh and before I forget if you hold down the power button it will turn off, if you push it once it becomes the back light button). Anyway, whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your gps. I have been very pleased with the rino 530.

I use a Magellan Meridian Gold that spends much of its time attached to the handlebars of a motorcycle. The screen is large and easy to read, and the buttons are big enough to use at freeway speeds with winter gloves on. It does well enough under tree cover that I have no complaints, but the truth is, tree cover will give EVERY GPSr fits, regardless of make or claims. (That includes the very high-dollar, survey-grade GPS systems.) Some recreational units just handle it better than others and the MeriGold does fine, particularly if the WAAS is locked on.

The MeriGold is an older unit, but it has SD expandable memory, computer connectivity, and can be powered externally. Mine is more than three years old and is seemingly bullet-proof. I use mine for commuting, traveling and for work, and there are many days where the unit is left running for 8-10 hours at at time. Prices are in the $200-$300 +/- range.

If you want to stick with Garmin, I know that the GPS V is an excellent unit, and can be attached to a motorcycle easily. Price and features (and age) are similar to the Meridian Gold. I think the buttons would be a bit small to use while riding though.

25945_1600.JPG

25945_1700.JPG

25945_400.jpg

- Kewaneh

If you want autorouting, good reception in trees and don't want to spend a real lot, look at the eTrex Vista C or Legend C. Now that the CX models are out, a lot of places are discounting the C models.

They get way better reception under trees than your old eTrex (which BTW should work fine under trees as long as you hold it properly) and the color screen is much more readable.

The Magellan 210 is also a possibility, but if autorouting is important, Garmin's routing software is much better than Magellan's.

Edited by briansnat

If you want autorouting, good reception in trees and don't want to spend a real lot, look at the eTrex Vista C or Legend C. Now that the CX models are out, a lot of places are discounting the C models.

They get way better reception under trees than your old eTrex (which BTW should work fine under trees as long as you hold it properly) and the color screen is much more readable.

The Magellan 210 is also a possibility, but if autorouting is important, Garmin's routing software is much better than Magellan's.

I, too, am looking to upgrade from my mono Vista. My thought was that the 60 series would have better reception than the eTrex--is this not true, then?? Thanks for any help. DocRoss

I'm very pleased with my Legend C....It has all that you are after and the prices are right on them at this time. I also have the Meridian Gold and like it also but no color or autorouting, but still a very nice GPS.

I read a lot on here when I got interested and never heard much bad on the Legend C, Ifinder H2O or Meridian Gold..... I really like the big screen on the MG as I can read it without glasses....The Legned C is a little smaller in size all the way around and glasses are required for me. I bought my Legend C for $150.00 on EBAY....

SwampYankee