Camouflage Bags

alistair_uk

If its a small box there are some companies who sell direct to squaddies (Blackhorse is one company I think). have you tried the military surpluss sites. I used to have a Blackhorse washbag that would have been ideal.

There seems to be an ever increasing craze of using camo bags to place a cache in, and I must say I do like them.

My question is where can I get hold of one without having to order the material and make it myself?

I had a search around the Internet but could not find anything the size of a plastic box.

I went shopping for camo cloth at local army suprlus stores, but it was all in huge sheets...no, let me rephrase that...it was all in huuuuuuuuge sheets. fine if you want to hide a Landrover or two, but a bit OTT just for Tupperware.

Solution - buy whatever's the cheapest item of camo-pattern clothing thay have in stock and cut down to size. I got a something like a pair of overtrousers for about a fiver which so far has provided enough camo material for 3 large-ish cache boxes, and I've still got plenty left.

hiya alastair

i dont know if this might sound daft to everyone, :o but what i did was buy a yard of the weed control fabric from homebase it was a £1.00 for a yard square

i covered a cache box with it and cut it to size then i stapled the sides and one edge leaving one edge open to slip the cache in and out

i have covered 6 caches so far and still have over half left so it is cheap and lasts ages its not water proof but makes a white cache box harder to find and keeps the cache clean

M :lol:

You can obtain 'stash' sacks DPM with drawcord in three sizes Large 12" Medium 10" and small 8" from:

Extra Range Ltd

Unit 4

Victoria Mills

Dickinson Street

Gtr Manchester

M3 7LW

or dpm cloth off the roll at the 'Fabric and Textile' store £4.98 a metre and make your own. :laughing::laughing:

DPM: Disrupted Pattern Material (Camo)

I can buy 'ordinary' poly-cotton DPM material from my local market.... Does anyone know of a supplier of the 'waterproof' material that the commercially available 'stash sacks' are made from?

Yes.... I know all about NikWax and stuff like that to make poly-cotton water resistant but I really don't want to go down that route, thank you.

Has he? That's not what I am after at all, mind you....

Alistair, have you tried the army surplus shop down Pilgrim Street? Just a thought.

Harumph... and look, I give Pharisee some cammo and then he whinges on the forums that it's poly cotton. I too reckon that all cammo bags get scoffed by rodents within 6 months anyhow. I know that Bekandian get their rip stop nylon cammo fabric off EBay... they will probably beat me to death for telling now, and they reckon that rodents destroy cammo within 6 months.

Lester - they sell cammo bags on the army surplus stall on Bovvy market!

Great stuff, and thank you. My plan is to pop in to the DIY store on the way hone and see what paint and/or tape they have in, and if I don't find anything I like then off to the local Army surpass store tomorrow lunchtime.

If all that fails, and it's me so it probably will, I will place the cache as is, order one (or two, or more) online and add it later. It is not actually needed to hide it, just a little extra protection.

Now I wonder what kind of favour Alibags wants? :(

I can buy 'ordinary' poly-cotton DPM material from my local market.... Does anyone know of a supplier of the 'waterproof' material that the commercially available 'stash sacks' are made from?

Yes.... I know all about NikWax and stuff like that to make poly-cotton water resistant but I really don't want to go down that route, thank you.

If you (or anyone else) would like some DPM Gortex, PM us and we might just be able to help out :(

Edited by Phillimore Clan

...anyway, back in the land of Geocaching :laughing:

I was most unimpressed by my local B&Q that did not have any coloured tape and no small pots of green paint. They did have some stone effect paint that I will remember for another day though.

In the end I managed to get a pack of three synthetic bags from the local surplus store. Not the cheapest at £7, but I have them now and still cheaper than buying smaller quantities online because of delivery. The solution is obviously to place more caches to make it more cost effective :lol:.

Several options come to mind on cammo and being an ex squaddie I have used all 3.

1 DMP cloth can be waterproofed with Storm waterproofing spray. Nice and clean and easy to use, just hang whatever you want waterproofed up, take the top off the spray can, point and press. It's so simple even squaddies use it. It also works on trousers, jackets etc.

2 DPM coloured duct tape, this should be available from any good army surplus supply place. 1001 applications. As recomended by the Red Green show in the US :laughing: (http://www.redgreen.com/)

3 Before the days when they did Bergens in nice cammo colours we used to get plain green ones. But to get the cammo effect we used to go to a farm suppy shop (Mole Valley Farmers for example) and get the sheep dye sprays. These come in lots of colours, red, green, blue, black, yellow, brown, etc. By using the brown, black and green we could spray almost any cloth cammo colours and it still remained flexible. Once dry and application of Storm spray and it's waterproof too.

But to get the cammo effect we used to go to a farm suppy shop (Mole Valley Farmers for example) and get the sheep dye sprays. These come in lots of colours, red, green, blue, black, yellow, brown, etc. By using the brown, black and green we could spray almost any cloth cammo colours and it still remained flexible. Once dry and application of Storm spray and it's waterproof too.

anyone up for commoflaging some sheep late one night?

I'm selling camo bags on e-bay, same username. They start at £2.49 + P&P.

Thanks for the pointer, but most of the online options above are cheaper. If you can sell them at a lower profit margin then you could compete with the other online traders.

Update: I have just noticed the cross posting and the advert on your profile. I am all in to commercial enterprise if it is supporting the Geocaching community, but I feel you are getting very close to what Grounspeak may deem as commercial activity. If you ask me than it is probably best to post generic eBay adverst in future.

Edited by alistair_uk

Harumph... and look, I give Pharisee some cammo and then he whinges on the forums that it's poly cotton.

And he had a load of DPM Gortex from us! Whats he doing with it all? Kitting out his own army of mercenaries!! :drama::lol::D

Edited by Phillimore Clan

hiya alastair

i dont know if this might sound daft to everyone, :drama: but what i did was buy a yard of the weed control fabric from homebase it was a £1.00 for a yard square

i covered a cache box with it and cut it to size then i stapled the sides and one edge leaving one edge open to slip the cache in and out

i have covered 6 caches so far and still have over half left so it is cheap and lasts ages its not water proof but makes a white cache box harder to find and keeps the cache clean

M :lol:

Yes I know you did. i found "A walk around wharton park" last week!!