Sending Coins To Europe

Fotografen

Educate the senders on their shipping options. Looks like 3oz via Air-post to Denmark is $2.55. but that requires the sender to go to the post office.

I think many go with the Global Priority Mail because they can print the postage online and not have to visit the post office. And GPM-small envelope is $5.25 to Denmark.

Maybe see about joining or forming a European coin club to buy more at once which will ship to someone there, and then get sent back out at what I'm guessing would be lower postal rates within europe.

I was going to use Global Priority for the Decoder coins for non-us/canada orders. I had read in several posts of overseas packages taking 4-6 weeks to arrive at the other rates and many coin collectors said they would rather pay the higher price to get their coins faster. And, I continue to see complaints on the "What's in your mailbox" thread about overseas shipments taking so long.

If anyone that is non-us/canada that received an invoice (or even paid for) the Decoder coin with the global priority fee and would rather pay a lower shipping fee and wait 4-6 weeks (on top of the 3 weeks to mint the coin) to receive their coins, please email me. I'm not sure if it is cost effective, though, for those that have ordered several coins. The global priority is a flat rate whereas the standard rates are based on weight. I'd be happy to go to the post office with a 3 oz coin to get pricing. But, please do not post any complaints on how long it takes for the coin to arrive to your non-us/canada location.

....Anthus

I'm living in Europe, Denmark, and I'm pretty tired of having to pay 5-6$ for sending one coin. And maybe have to add local tax and addtional freight in Denmark.

Does anyone know how to tackle this problem?

I send all out of country package Air Letter Post. As stated in the previous post this is only $2.55 US for 3 oz. Additionally I mark the packages as Gift with a $5 value per coin on the custom form. This was the reciever (especially in Canada) doesn't get hit with extra taxes. Yes it takes a trip to the Post Office but it seems only fair to do it this way.

Team Sand Dollar

I sent most of my international order via airmail also. The average price was between $2.50 and $3.50 depending on the number of coins inside. A few went global priority flat rate $5.00 because there were enough coins inside to make it heavy enough to justify the fee.

Judging from the feedback I got, the priority envelopes did'nt beat the airmail envelopes by more than 1 or 2 days.

I will say that filling out all those customs forms was a pain, but I am greatful for all the international orders.

Thanx for the feedback.

I'm very glad to hear that many of you ship air mail.

It's also very important that you mark it as "gift" and a value at about 5$, because in Denmark we'll have to pay VAT (25%) and toll for values above approx. 10$.

Geocaching is becoming very hot in Denmark (and probably the rest of Europe) these days, and geocoins will probably also soon be very popular if we can keep the rates down.

Thanx all geocachers around the world. :laughing:

In the last month I have sent probably 40 coin packages to various countries in Europe. Some things I have learned:

For packages that weight less than 7 oz. Airmail is the least expensive, but just barely

For packages that are 7 oz. Global Priority is the least expensive. $5.25 for up to 4 pounds. Assuming you can stuff the coins into their packaging. I have gotten maybe 25 or 30 coins in one of the letter packaging, then taped it heavily.

For packages that weight less than 1 pound you do not need to do a customs form. (Take a look at the global priority packages)

Customs: Think in terms of wholesale value of the coins, not what they are sold for.

For packages that weight 16 oz (1 lbs) or more:

- You need to hand carry them into the post office, but: If you have the customs form all filled out, you do not need to wait in line, there is usually a window for picking up special mail, you can hand them in there.

If you need more info. PM me

For packages that weight less than 1 pound you do not need to do a customs form. (Take a look at the global priority packages)

You should always add a customs form just in case it is required at the desination country. I have had 5 or 6 trades arrived at least 2 months later than they were mailed due to being tied up in UK customs. These are all single coins that would weigh less than a pound.

T

You should always add a customs form just in case it is required at the desination country. I have had 5 or 6 trades arrived at least 2 months later than they were mailed due to being tied up in UK customs. These are all single coins that would weigh less than a pound.

T

Thanks...this is good to know, I am getting ready to ship some geocoins to Europe, all of the packages are under a pound, so I was going to skip the customs forms...but you would advise including them anyway.

Jamie

If you don't include a customs form... GOOD LUCK!!!!

I wasted way too much time standing in line only to have a stuck-up USPS employee tell me that I needed a customs form for each of my 45 packages even though the priority folder says RIGHT ON THE PACKAGE that it isn't required.

The USPS... "public servant" claimed that the 1 lb rule only applied to printed material. :laughing:

Customs forms are fast to fill out with mail merge and printable address labels, so I'm going to just default to filling it out. I don't want to spend any more time in the post office than absolutely necessary.

Speaking of Customs Forms, for those in the US, did you know there is an online one?

https://webapps.usps.com/customsforms/

You can fill it out and then print it and have it all ready to go when you get to the Post Office. :unsure:

Can you mail the envelope with customs form without having to deal with a postal clerk (mine are friendly and helpful - but the line is sometimes long).

Oh, and what about the sticker-half of the form - how do they deal with that? Do you tape it on yourself? Well, on the envelope I mean.

Edited by pdxmarathonman

Speaking of Customs Forms, for those in the US, did you know there is an online one?

https://webapps.usps.com/customsforms/

You can fill it out and then print it and have it all ready to go when you get to the Post Office. :unsure:

Can you mail the envelope with customs form without having to deal with a postal clerk (mine are friendly and helpful - but the line is sometimes long).

Oh, and what about the sticker-half of the form - how do they deal with that? Do you tape it on yourself? Well, on the envelope I mean.

I checked recently and was told you do have to go to the counter. They said the 24 hour post office kiosk can't take international mail yet.

Thanks Allanon for the online Customs form.

For the one I did yesterday (the first time I'd tried), I printed it on plain paper and when I got to the PO, the clerk just used tape to put it on the package.

For the one I'm sending to Canada today, I actually printed it on label stock so it will stick by itself.

As for visiting the PO vs just dropping it in the mailbox, for international I always go in because I don't know the postage (although I could probably learn). Since it's not that often, it's just easier for me. edit: But, since I'm going in, I'll ask the question (if I remember).

Also, be aware that the online form requires a phone number for both parties. Since the paper one doesn't, and it's not printed anyway, I just put my number in both spots.

Edited by Allanon

I'm pretty sure using mail merge and printing directly on the form or onto address labels will be faster than using the online form.

You can order USPS supplies including customs forms in bulk (no fee, no shipping :P.

The clerks often times offer me very generous handfuls of forms.

Seems like I am doing a lot of trading with German and Dutch cachers recently :P