Img2gps Loads Metroguide Routing Data To Gpsr!

Neo_Geo

In THIS POST, dusee informs us that using a program called img2gps will send the routing data in MetroGuide (that's only available to the PC using MapSource) up to the GPSr!

As "THE DONALD" would say, "This is HUGE!" :P

Searching the Internet shows mostly references to it in European languages. Can any of the programmers out there breakdown the code of this program and see if there are any evil-doing commands embedded in this program?

Edited by Neo_Geo

In THIS POST, dusee informs us that using a program called img2gps will send the routing data in MetroGuide (that's only available to the PC using MapSource) up to the GPSr!

Yes, AFAIK, im2gps is a more user-friendly interface program that uses the Sendmap program from cgpsmapper internally and it does appear to load the routing data from MetroGuide (either NA or Eur). I believe some searching capabilities (like address searches and some FIND by Name?) are lost in the process. It's also somewhat questionable from a legal licensing standpoint since presumably NavTeq gets some license fees from Garmin based on the routing vs. non-routing attributes of the programs they sell.

But I've used both im2gps and Sendmap to load user-created maps and I don't think they have any malicious attributes.

evil-doing you mean your attitude towards others?

this program was made for d.i.y. maps ans happens towork with metroguide

be pleased people show you whats a around instead of questioning everything that is not known to you.

NG is referring to using an unknown program that might result in system problems. He wasn't making it personal against you. Understand?

Edited by BlueDeuce

be pleased people show you whats a around instead of questioning everything that is not known to you.

Dude - I guess I should unplug my firewall, uninstall my virus detection and post my passwords and credit card numbers here in the forum because you say everything is okay!

Nah, on second thought, I think I'll keep all that stuff - It keeps my computer healthy! :lol:

If you have a problem with that, then I suggest you learn some coping skills!

The posiblility to get routing information from MetroGuide to the GPS is old new. This has been a posibility since the first non MapSource program that send maps to the GPS was created.

There are some bugs with it, like missing search on address. I also heard that it is not possible to route between different mapsegment.

gentlemen,

What is the point?

"Haven't checkt it" and "i also heard"

it does autoroute between different maps with metroguide Europe

i use it and i also checkt it in demo mode.

addresses are a problem if you use them

other things like shopping is from the map you are in; that does not have to be a problem.

Metroguide can be your choice if you allready have it or when you think you don't need the rest. It can also not be your choice.

That is all up to you.

Edited by dusee

What is the point?

"Haven't checkt it" and "i also heard"

You asked and I answered. That was my point.

it does autoroute between different maps with metroguide Europe

i use it and i also checkt it in demo mode.

addresses are a problem if you use them

other things like shopping is from the map you are in; that does not have to be a problem.

These facts were already mentioned in POST #2 above.

Metroguide can be your choice if you allready have it or when you think you don't need the rest. It can also not be your choice.

That is all up to you.

You do sum it up very well though.