Benchmarks And Gsak?

I posted this question on the Benchmark Forum, and someone suggested I post it here too...

I'm pretty much ok with paperless caching. I use PQs to GSAK for identifying caches, my GPSmap60cs for finding them, and I have a Dell Axim51 using GPXSonar for my field notes. -And digital camera of course!

(Which, when you stop to think, means that I'm setting off on a lonesome trail with kit worth about 1500 of Her Majesty's Scottish pounds in my pocket!! :D But thats another thread!)

What I'm struggling with is identifying, downloading, GSAKing, and field-noting NGS Benchmarks.

Here's what I reckon I need to do.

1. Find a cache or caches that I want to go out and hunt using my tried and trusted PQs

2. On the cache page on GC.com, select Find all nearby benchmarks

3. On the resulting query page select Check All

4. Download .loc file

5 Open in EasyGPS and save as .gpx file

6. Open GSAK

7. Load .gpx file

8. Have a coffee :D

All I need now is to find a way of getting the benchmark pages on to my Dell Axim :D

Any suggestions?

I think the instructions offered at the top of your original thread offer the best route.

1. Download the archived county-wide data sheet file from the NGS site.

2. Use BMGPX to convert the dat file to gpx

3. Open into GSAK.

You'll have a lot more data (e.g., description) this route than downloading loc files from the gc.com benchmark pages.

I'm not certain what particular aspect you are trying to best solve...my read of your description suggests that you are trying to find a good way to combine cache and BM data for a day's hunt. I have separate databases for cache and BM data and I just look at the waypoints on my GPS's map screen to spot nearby candidates. However, if you are wanting to combine them in the same database, you could set a centre point for an area of interest and have all the data in a single file.

I don't know how GPXSonar would handle BM data; Cachemate does a nice job of it on my Palm PDA.

Edit: re-reading your proposed data flow, my general impression is that you are best off getting data into GSAK and manipulating it there. If you need suggestions how best to do that, you may want to post (I'm sending you to another desk again!) in the GSAK forum.

Edited by embra