Newbie - Purchasing A Gps

JBiff

I'm very new to this game and very enthused. I was introduced and have been out twice with a good friend, known here as jedihunter. I want to get my own family into caching and in that interest I have been researching gpsr units and I believe I have narrowed the search down to two in my price range: The Magellan 210 and the Garmin Etrex Legend. Hoping there are some of you out there who have experience with either or both of these units or maybe you think I should be looking in another direction. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

I'm very new to this game and very enthused. I was introduced and have been out twice with a good friend, known here as jedihunter. I want to get my own family into caching and in that interest I have been researching gpsr units and I believe I have narrowed the search down to two in my price range: The Magellan 210 and the Garmin Etrex Legend. Hoping there are some of you out there who have experience with either or both of these units or maybe you think I should be looking in another direction. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

As luck would have it, I researched both of those models and went with the 210. It isn't that I found the 210 to be vastly superior to the Legend, it's just that I wanted the Geocaching software that goes with the 210. I had done a side-by-side specification check and finally decided the 210, software aside, would suit my needs. I went out for the first time yesterday and am quite pleased with the performance. Be aware, though, that as with most products these days, the manual that comes in the box isn't worth the paper it is printed on. I downloaded the manual from the Magellan site prior to purchasing so I could take a look. It's better, but I'd suggest reading it along with the chapter on setting up your GPS in the Idiot's Guide to Geocaching.

Good luck!

Those are the exact models I came down to also. I just got my eXplorist yesterday so I can't really give a review.

The legend doesn't have a usb port, I didn't like that. The legend has 8 megs compared to the 22 megs of the 210, so I figured the more the better. I did read some forums posts by unhappy people who claimed poor reception under trees and that really, really scared me off. I have no idea to the truth of those claims.

Those are the exact models I came down to also. I just got my eXplorist yesterday so I can't really give a review.

The legend doesn't have a usb port, I didn't like that. The legend has 8 megs compared to the 22 megs of the 210, so I figured the more the better. I did read some forums posts by unhappy people who claimed poor reception under trees and that really, really scared me off. I have no idea to the truth of those claims.

That's right, the memory did factor into the decision.

Just thought I'd let ya'll know that, using the geocaching software included with the 210, I downloaded waypoints to my PC, imported them to the software then transferred them to the GPS with no tribble at all... :D

Not sure why someone would come down to these two. They are in a different price range and have different capabilities. The Legend is a great, inexpensive starter unit, but it doesn't come close to the 210 in most categories. If price is important however, the Legend is usually $40 or so cheaper.

Other units to consider are the Legend C and Vista C. Now that the CX models came out, a lot of places are heavily discounting the Legend C and Vista C (I saw the Vista C for $199 at the LL Bean the same price they were asking for the regular Legend :D). Both would compare favorably to the eXplorist 210.

Edited by briansnat

Not sure why someone would come down to these two. They are in a different price range and have different capabilities. The Legend is a great, inexpensive starter unit, but it doesn't come close to the 210 in most categories. If price is important however, the Legend is usually $40 or so cheaper.

Other units to consider are the Legend C and Vista C. Now that the CX models came out, a lot of places are heavily discounting the Legend C and Vista C (I saw the Vista C for $199 at the LL Bean the same price they were asking for the regular Legend :D). Both would compare favorably to the eXplorist 210.

Actually, the buying guide from geocache sent me to a site (REI) in which these two units are similarly priced (the magellan for $179 and the Garmin for $170) as I've been researching them more and more I am finding that the magellan seems to have a lot more bang for the buck. I am definitely leaning that way now.

However, I've now found a site selling a 300 for $144 so my new question now is is this enough of an upgrade to consider or should I just do the 210 which I have a lead on for $129? Thanks!

BTW, thanks for the move, chalk it up to a newbie, not yet familiar enough to know where I should post :D

Thanks.

JBiff:

Between the two, I recommend the 210 over the 300. It has a computer interface, which you will find very helpful. The 300 does not, but it has an electronic compass and barametric sensor. I find a seperate handheld compass more accrurate, and better for siting bearings. As far as a sensor for elevation, the GPS calculated elevation is suffiecient, and if you have the topo map installed, its elevation is better than barametric elevation.

I would steer clear of the Magellan 210. I bought one and found the instructions were horrible. They contradicted instructions given at their website.

When I called tech support, I was put on hold for over 45 minutes before hanging up. I found other forum members complaining of the same experience with tech support. I went back to using my garmin geko - cheap and easy to use.

I sold the Magellan on eBay.

Good luck.

The Etrex Legend does have advantages over the 210 like much more data fields. The 210 is seriously lacking in data fields, information screens, and general information as do all the Explorist units. If you are strictly going to use it for geocaching, the 210 is probably the better bet slightly. But if you are going to use it for more then geocaching, consider another unit.

I use mine primarily for bike riding, thus the 210 is useless to me because I like to have moving average speed, total average speed, time moving, elevation rate etc. Basic data fields that the Explorist simply doesn't have. As far as reception, any GPS will have trouble in dense woods, don't believe otherwise.

I think the 400/500/600 series is flawed with the battery. I think had they come out with a unit that took standard rechargable batteries would have generated a lot more sales. While some people love those batteries, many didn't buy the 400/500/600 series strictly for that reason alone. A plus on those units is the availability to use SD cards for storage.

No matter what, there isn't a unit that will be 100% perfect but yet almost everyone seems pleased with the units they buy. Good luck in whatever you buy.

I don't find the Legend v. 210 a fair comparison as the 210 is an auto-router and a newer model with more desirable features. On offroute.com, one of my favorites retailers, the Legend is $136, and the 210 is $155.

I think a more comparable model is the Legend C. It can be had for $200, but a significant improvement over the regular Legend.

For $45 more than the 210, you get a color screen; almost twice the battery life (32 hr v. 18); 2mb more memory (24 v 22); able to create more routes (50 v 20); more track points (10000 v 2000); and from you may have heard, better product support. In my opinion, the Legend C is the best value in Garmin's handheld line, with the new Legend Cx close behind. For $40 more ($240) you get 32mb microSD card with optional memory card upgrades.

Edit re gpsblake log. Wow, I didn't know the 210 lacked those tripometer features that even my older Vista has. I couldn't do without some of those trip features. One of my favorites involves autorouting; it can accurately predict my time of arrival which I can relay to my waiting party, or my boss if I'm using the unit in the field.

Edited by Chuy

I researched for a few months before I finally purchased my GPS. I ended up getting the Garmin Quest. I looked at the Legend C, but the price for it was about the same as the quest when you purchased the street software. The quest came loaded with it. I like the car adapter/mount that it came with, and found it very easy to use. It has a 20 hour battery life so you can use it as a handheld unit for geocaching. Just figured I would throw in my 2 cents here.

JBiff:

Between the two, I recommend the 210 over the 300. It has a computer interface, which you will find very helpful. The 300 does not, but it has an electronic compass and barametric sensor. I find a seperate handheld compass more accrurate, and better for siting bearings. As far as a sensor for elevation, the GPS calculated elevation is suffiecient, and if you have the topo map installed, its elevation is better than barametric elevation.

Just to add, the 300 does not support a detailed map display, and the compass is not a triaxial compass so unless you hold the 300 level the compass will not be very accurate.

Thanks to all for your excellent input. And especially Briansnat for redirecting me to this forum where I found loads of useful info not only in this thread but in many others. As a result of all this I just ordered my Legend C. Amazon has them on sale for less than $200 and hopefully within the week I will be up and running. Next purchase will be the city select software to make this summer's vacation run just a little smoother :)

Actually, the buying guide from geocache sent me to a site (REI) in which these two units are similarly priced (the magellan for $179 and the Garmin for $170) as I've been researching them more and more I am finding that the magellan seems to have a lot more bang for the buck. I am definitely leaning that way now.

That's way high for a Garmin Legend. You should be able to find it for less than $12o if you shop around.

I've heard ppl say before the manuals you get with the 210 are crap, not sure why though. Admittedly the manuals are thin, but the thing is so easy to use you almost can get away w/o any manual, which I did the first day.

Also, can someone tell me why when standind still, the compass updates as I turn around. I thought the 210 couldn't do that?

I've heard ppl say before the manuals you get with the 210 are crap, not sure why though. Admittedly the manuals are thin, but the thing is so easy to use you almost can get away w/o any manual, which I did the first day.

Also, can someone tell me why when standind still, the compass updates as I turn around. I thought the 210 couldn't do that?

The Explorist 210 fooled you into thinking it had an electronic compass, because it sensed movement as you pivoted around, and I think a magellan is more sensitive to movement than my Garmins, and It took a bit of movement with the Garmin, before the direction of travel on it, would update, and now the direction of travel on my 60Cx is very sensitive to small changes of direction, compared to my other garmins.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I just ordered my Legend C. Amazon has them on sale for less than $200 and hopefully within the week I will be up and running. Next purchase will be the city select software to make this summer's vacation run just a little smoother :blink:

I just purchased the Garmin eTrex Legend C Handheld GPS Navigator (24 MB) from Amazon too!

It should be here by tomorrow, so I am very excited too!

I am sure I will learn much more once I get the thing in my hand and play with it, but what sort of extra software is available and why would you need it? I hate to be lost on vacations, so I may need to buy extra maps for my GPS unit. I looked around the Garmin site and read a bit about the extras, but my brain hurts from all of this information!

Thanks!

MB

:blink:

Actually, the buying guide from geocache sent me to a site (REI) in which these two units are similarly priced (the magellan for $179 and the Garmin for $170) as I've been researching them more and more I am finding that the magellan seems to have a lot more bang for the buck.

I have been saying that for months, the 210 is a lot of GPS for the money.

The Explorist 210 fooled you into thinking it had an electronic compass, because it sensed movement as you pivoted around, and I think a magellan is more sensitive to movement than my Garmins, and It took a bit of movement with the Garmin, before the direction of travel on it, would update, and now the direction of travel on my 60Cx is very sensitive to small changes of direction, compared to my other garmins.

That's what freaked me out, I knew it didn't have a electronic compass. It did not bad a job though as I spun around, I was surprised, I haven't used a gps for many, many years.

Thanks for the reply.

Awesome! This is the same model that I have finally decided on as well. I can't wait to pick up mine.

- Chad

I picked up a 210 for $160 at Circuit City yesterday. If you go to the store, it will ring up at $229. You have to ask for the web price and they'll give it to you at the lower price. Or you can order it over the web. There are several other places at this price and you have go through the annoying process of adding it to your cart to see the actual price.

It's a great unit for caching. You download the .loc file from the web site and import it into the geocaching application that comes with the unit. From there, you upload the caches you want to visit to the GPS.

One interesting feature is a mode where the GPS appears as a usb flash drive to your pc. All of the files on the GPS are in a text format and you can edit them directly on the GPS or drag and drop them from the pc.

Once the caches are on the unit and you're in the field, you move the cursor to the cache you want to visit, and press the goto key. The unit comes back with a dialog box asking if you want to go to the cache and it should display the name of the cache. If it says "move to the current cursor position" rather than the name, select cancel and try to reselect the cache. Once selected, you can get "distance to next" readouts with a compass that has a target indicator on it or you can follow it on the map.

I've had the unit for about 24 hrs now and we easily knocked of three caches with it. I'm really happy with it. I'm not sure how well it will receive under a heavy canopy since the leaves aren't fully out yet, but we did test it under a screen tent and surprised us by working. My previous unit did not work under the same tent.

So far it seems to be a really great unit and I have no complaints. I suppose I do have one minor issue - the proximity alarm doesn't seem to have audio. I'd like to set the alarm and put it back into the case and walk until I get a beep, then pull out the unit.