Warning - Ebay Sales

planewood

Q. What factors should I be aware of if I purchase a GPS unit from another individual?

A. There are several factors you need to be aware of when making such a purchase. First, you will only be entitled to warranty service if you can provide a copy of the original receipt. Second, if the sticker that contains the serial number has been removed from the unit, Garmin will not perform warranty or repair work on the unit. Third, because MapSource City Navigator is not sold separately, if you have purchased a STP III or GPS 2610/2650, it is imperative that you get the MapSource software that came with it. Replacement software for MapSource City Select can be purchased directly from Garmin or from an authorized Garmin dealer. In addition to the original receipt, serial number sticker, and MapSource software, be sure that you receive all related unlock codes for your GPS unit. Future updates to MapSource City Select and City Navigator will be subject to Garmin's update pricing structure based on the registration date of the unit.

Please call Garmin Product Support to have the registration information updated. You'll be asked to submit proof of ownership transfer. You can reach Garmin Product Support at 1-800-800-1020 M-F 8 A.M.-5 P.M. Central Time.

Q. Does Garmin have any authorized dealers on eBay or any other online auction site?

A. Garmin does not have any authorized dealers that sell new products directly on online auction sites. Any purchases made through online auction sites are on a ”buyer beware” basis. A copy of the original sales receipt is required as the proof of purchase for warranty repairs. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

Q. What factors should I be aware of if I purchase a GPS unit from another individual?

A. There are several factors you need to be aware of when making such a purchase. First, you will only be entitled to warranty service if you can provide a copy of the original receipt. Second, if the sticker that contains the serial number has been removed from the unit, Garmin will not perform warranty or repair work on the unit. Third, because MapSource City Navigator is not sold separately, if you have purchased a STP III or GPS 2610/2650, it is imperative that you get the MapSource software that came with it. Replacement software for MapSource City Select can be purchased directly from Garmin or from an authorized Garmin dealer. In addition to the original receipt, serial number sticker, and MapSource software, be sure that you receive all related unlock codes for your GPS unit. Future updates to MapSource City Select and City Navigator will be subject to Garmin's update pricing structure based on the registration date of the unit.

Please call Garmin Product Support to have the registration information updated. You'll be asked to submit proof of ownership transfer. You can reach Garmin Product Support at 1-800-800-1020 M-F 8 A.M.-5 P.M. Central Time.

Q. Does Garmin have any authorized dealers on eBay or any other online auction site?

A. Garmin does not have any authorized dealers that sell new products directly on online auction sites. Any purchases made through online auction sites are on a ”buyer beware” basis. A copy of the original sales receipt is required as the proof of purchase for warranty repairs. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

I realize you're just quoting from Garmin's website, but there are some inaccuracies in the above statements.

1) CityNavigator-NA is now available for sale directly either directly from Garmin or from their dealers. Indications are that CitySelect will no longer be offered beyond v7 and CityNavigator will replace it.

2) There are a number of authorized Garmin dealers who also sell products through eBay. For example, www.tvnav.com is an authorized dealer and sells Garmin products both through his own website, through eBay auctions, and through his eBay store site.

In addition, my experience has been that Garmin doesn't generally require an original sales receipt for warranty service. I recently had a problem with a Garmin receiver and called them for a warranty RMA. No receipt was requested and they promptly replaced my defective receiver. I also got an RMA from them several years ago on another receiver, again without any request for a receipt. Of course these experiences are no guarantee that they won't require a receipt in other circumstances.

Authorized Dealers, to the best of my knowledge, are not allowed to sell new products on auction sites but are allowed to sell refurbished units. When there is a rebate going on, with Garmin, that is when the original receipt is needed. If Garmin wanted to push the issue, they can ask you for the receipt for warranty work if they wanted to. I guess it all boils down to how much they police the auction sites.

Edited by benjamin921

Garmins intent is to protect authorized dealers from gray market dealers, Garmin will not

sell to non brick and mortar dealers, in other words if someone wants to buy become a

Garmin dealer they need to have a real store, not just a web site. There are ways people

can get their hands on Garmin products through false pretenses. When Garmin or one of

Garmins authorized wholesale distributors ship an order they can track that order with the

serial numbers on the GPS. If they find a GPS that has been sold by a non authorized

dealer, any GPS they have a record of every GPS shipped with that order and they can

refuse to service those units.

Authorized Dealers, to the best of my knowledge, are not allowed to sell new products on auction sites but are allowed to sell refurbished units.

Checking a bit I found quite a few Garmin authorized dealers selling new units on eBay, but they weren't listing them for auction - just for the "Buy it Now" option. Still seems contrary to their statement above about not having any sales "on online auction sites" but could be interpreted either way.

I'd also be a bit upset if they enforced the 'no service on units without serial numbers' policy since my most-used receiver lost the flimsy serial number tag long ago (along with the labels on the keys, little rubber feet, etc.) from extensive normal 'wear and tear.' Of course it's long out of warranty anyway, but I'd still expect the flat-rate service policy to apply. (There might still be a duplicate number inside the case.)

I'd also be a bit upset if they enforced the 'no service on units without serial numbers' policy since my most-used receiver lost the flimsy serial number tag long ago (along with the labels on the keys, little rubber feet, etc.) from extensive normal 'wear and tear.' Of course it's long out of warranty anyway, but I'd still expect the flat-rate service policy to apply. (There might still be a duplicate number inside the case.)

They can probably retrieve the serial electronically, or like you said, it may be inside the case. The equipment I work on have redundant serial numbers stored electronically, this is how I recently came upon a stolen piece of equipment and was able to return it to the owner (well, the PD came and took it away, I assume it'll be returned to them sometime).

I'd also be a bit upset if they enforced the 'no service on units without serial numbers' policy since my most-used receiver lost the flimsy serial number tag long ago

You are correct peter, i mean they all have electronic serial numbers that it would only take a tech a few minutes to look up in the GPS itself

The electronic serial number is easily looked up *if the unit is working*. But the only reason I'd be sending it in would be because it's not working. In that case it may or may not be possible to retrieve the electronic ID depending on the exact nature of the failure.