Csi: Boston

Shorelander

So I was wandering aimlessly around Boston today when I stumbled upon a weird disk at N 42°21.113' W 071°03.058'.

One photo of the disk

A similar different photo

I can make out on the disk "US" and "STA". But I have no idea what it is. I looked through the NGS database and there were no marks, destroyed or not, that worked. Neither with the state marks through the MAGS site. There was also no BM on the USGS topo map from 1988 on TerraServer.

Does this look familiar to anyone? I know there are tons of disk types out there, but I felt that there was plenty of knowledge in these forums that could tackle it. Me and my curiosity.

One more note: there was work going on on the bridge around the mark - the mark had one of those triangles painted around it, which made me think it was a control mark versus something else. They'd also spray painted the number 17.10 there, which made me think it is a vertical control mark (as the bridge might be 17 feet above the sea below).

SLer

It could be anyone of several different control marks. What they may be using it for today may not be what its original intention was. I guess you have to find out who is using it and ask them for more info.

If its near water it could be a corps of engineers mark (USCE)

Sta often refer to on contruction plans. Distance on plans are refered in station + distance and distance offset. Every 100 ft could be a station, so sta 10 + 50 = 1050 ft in distance from some stating point known as P.O.B.. References are then shown as so many feet right or left of the base line, such as; Power pole - 75 ft left of sta 9 + 60; corner of house - 30 ft right of station 10 + 49.

Edited by Z15