Coordinate Calc On Palm Devices

The Palm version of Coordinate Calc can be downloaded from here.

It should run on all Palms, and allows you to load and save multiple sets of calculations, so you can look for more than one cache in a trip without entering the calculations in the field.

As I no longer use a Palm (IMHO Pocket PCs are so much better ), please let me know how it works in the field, and any problems, feature requests etc.

Andy

Just been playing with it on the palm emulator. Looks good, and I might just pinch the idea for the front page/multiple coordinates for mine!

A couple of things I noticed.

If the letter isn't found yet it puts in 0 which could be confusing as 0 might be valid.

Invalid syntax causes it to bail out. Now this might be the emulator but (a+) as in a typo, caused a crash.

I did notice a fault on mine though which you don't have. Off to fix it now! :)

Simon

If the letter isn't found yet it puts in 0 which could be confusing as 0 might be valid.

Yes, I am going to fix that so that it says invalid calculation or similar.

Invalid syntax causes it to bail out. Now this might be the emulator but (a+) as in a typo, caused a crash.

Strange, works on my emulator, but crashes the device, I suppose thats what you get for putting out an early test version. I will get on that tonight.

Feel free to use any ideas, after all the whole thing was your idea, thanks for the feedback.

Strange, works on my emulator, but crashes the device, I suppose that's what you get for putting out an early test version. I will get on that tonight.

Feel free to use any ideas, after all the whole thing was your idea, thanks for the feedback.

That's why I put it mine in this forum rather than Units and software. A limited number and very friendly people in here to test it!

Simon

Brilliant Andy, works a treat. Tried it out on Frome - By The Numbers (GCNWJG) which we did yesterday and so had the required info. Spot on! Also on my Palm if I tap in the bottom right corner of the writing area the keyboard comes up. What I did find was that the programme likes it all in lower case. It does not accept a mixture.

So many, many thanks ! Just great. :):)

It seems fine on my Palm IIIxe with OS 4.1.

Instead of "invalid calculation" when a letter value is missing, could we have the co-ords calculated as far as is possible, and a non-digit character, perhaps a question mark, in any position which can't be calculated?

Thanks for a really useful application! :laughing:

It seems fine on my Palm IIIxe with OS 4.1.

Instead of "invalid calculation" when a letter value is missing, could we have the co-ords calculated as far as is possible, and a non-digit character, perhaps a question mark, in any position which can't be calculated?

Thanks for a really useful application! :laughing:

Great idea, will try that out.

I've just tried using simulated typos to force a crash. Surprisingly, my Palm crashed as expected, but recovered on a soft reset. Usually when it crashes it requires a hard reset and loses all data.

Brave man. I am just crashproofing it now, so typos will be picked up in the next version.

Good news, a new version is available, use the link at the top of the page. :)

Bad news, you all owe me a drink :P

Installing it does not delete any saved files.

NEW FOR v1.1

Letters can now be in upper or lower case.

Spaces are allowed in brackets

Operator precedence is now sorted - so (2+3*2) is now 8

It no longer assumes 0 for undefined variables

There is a LOT more error checking, so if you manage to chash it let me know how.

Numbers do not need to be single digits, so (22+a) will work

If you enter (ab +3) where a=2 and b=4, it will calculate 24+3

I will now look at Bill D (wwh)'s idea, any more suggestions while I am playing?

Andy

Great job Andy - it's looking fab.

Would it be easy to paste the calcs from (say) a Cachemate page to the app using the normal Palm Paste functionality? This would be REALLY handy if possible.

How about some easy way of displaying version number so I know I've got the latest one?

The version number is part of the title on the main screen.

I will look in to copy and paste.

Great job Andy - it's looking fab.

Would it be easy to paste the calcs from (say) a Cachemate page to the app using the normal Palm Paste functionality? This would be REALLY handy if possible.

How about some easy way of displaying version number so I know I've got the latest one?

I will look in to copy and paste.

Hope you have it easier than I did! :P Blooming Microsoft.

Simon

All I get on the main screen of my Vx running 3.5 is 'Coordinate Calculator' - no version number visible. Have I misunderstood something?

Have you downloaded (and installed :P ) the latest version ? You can tell because the text file has a "NEW FOR v1.1" bit at the top.

All I get on the main screen of my Vx running 3.5 is 'Coordinate Calculator' - no version number visible. Have I misunderstood something?

Have you downloaded (and installed :) ) the latest version ? You can tell because the text file has a "NEW FOR v1.1" bit at the top.

Yes I did. I went to the link you gave at the top of the page - I assumed you meant the link you posted right at the beginning of this thread. I even deleted the first one I installed. Maybe the link didn't work properly?

Tried it again just now, and the .txt file tells me it is the first version. :P

Edited by walkergeoff

Yes I did. I went to the link you gave at the top of the page - I assumed you meant the link you posted right at the beginning of this thread. I even deleted the first one I installed. Maybe the link didn't work properly?

Yes, you used the right link. I just tried it and it worked for me.

I tried it on a Treo 600 (OS 4.1).

1. In order to enter the numbers in the corresponding letter spots I need to press the silver, numeric entry key twice before entering the digit.

2. I also use 'Graffiti Anywhere' on my Treo so I can use graffiti to enter the numbers on the silk screen. This works very well.

3. If, after entering the numbers and press OK instead of Calculate and it does a soft reset.

Perhaps I spoke too soon about it not resetting...

I use a program called Crash, which is supposed to intercept fatal errors. It never has done before, but it just did. The only thing is, I wasn't trying to force an error, I was just playing, so I'm not certain what I did. I think I made a change to the formula, recalculated, then put the cursor in the Lat line at the top, then without doing anything else, pressed OK. But I haven't been able to repeat this despite trying what I think I did and variations of the same.

Edited by Bill D (wwh)

I've been playing with this (even tried to write my own but gave up when this version came along!) and have a couple of thoughts...

When entering the formulea & name could we have the "Grafiti Indicator" in the lower right corner to let us know if we are in Caps, Caps Lock or Symbol mode

From the "List" view, could a double-tap open that record? Or even a single-tap with the "Delete" option moved to the formula screen?

Still a brilliant idea and far better that I could knock up!

Phil

New version is available here including all the suggestions so far:

Min page:

Tap a record to open it.

Menu to create new records.

New record page:

"Caps/Caps Lock/Symbol" indicator.

A cut/copy/paste menu.

Calculation page:

A cut/copy/paste menu - you can paste calculations, or copy the calculated coords.

Menu to delete the record

Co-ords are calculated as far as is possible, and a question mark is put in any position which can't be calculated

When the coords are fully calculated, they appear in bold.

That should finish it for now, unless there are other ideas. Let me know how you get on with it.

Andy

Min page:

Tap a record to open it.

New record page:

A cut/copy/paste menu.

Calculation page:

A cut/copy/paste menu - you can paste calculations, or copy the calculated coords.

Co-ords are calculated as far as is possible, and a question mark is put in any position which can't be calculated

That should finish it for now, unless there are other ideas. Let me know how you get on with it.

Andy

Sorry - but I installed this over v1.1 (on my Palm Vx 3.5) and it does not appear to work at all.

All I get is a screen with Co-ordinate Calculator v1.2. If I tap that I get a drop-down menu headed 'Record' with 'New' as the only option. Tapping 'New' just returns me to the main screen.

There is no panel of select buttons at the bottom of the screen.

Should I have uninstalled v1.1 before installing - or is the problem more serious?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Sorry - but I installed this over v1.1 (on my Palm Vx 3.5) and it does not appear to work at all.

All I get is a screen with Co-ordinate Calculator v1.2. If I tap that I get a drop-down menu headed 'Record' with 'New' as the only option. Tapping 'New' just returns me to the main screen.

Should I have uninstalled v1.1 before installing - or is the problem more serious?

I had only one entry from the previous version and it appeared on the opening page. Tapping on it opened it up for review / calculation and the Shift and NumLock worked great.

You should not have needed to uninstall 1.1 before installing 1.2.

1.2 does not have buttons on the main screen, tapping "new" should take you to the new record screen, as other people have found. I am baffled by your problem, but would suggest that you uninstall it, do a soft reset, and reinstall.

Let me know if it works.

Andy

Min page:

Tap a record to open it.

New record page:

A cut/copy/paste menu.

Calculation page:

Andy

I tried deleting v1.1 and reinstalling 1.2 and it worked! B)

Edited by walkergeoff

The Palm version of Coordinate Calc can be downloaded from here.

It should run on all Palms, and allows you to load and save multiple sets of calculations, so you can look for more than one cache in a trip without entering the calculations in the field.

As I no longer use a Palm (IMHO Pocket PCs are so much better ), please let me know how it works in the field, and any problems, feature requests etc.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Just nosing about from across the pond. While I'm something of a noob, I am intergrating my PC / Palm / and GPSr. Just from reading through this thread, I'm not fully understanding what your program is used for. Any chance of a basic explanation?

Thanks!

JohnTee

Hi Andy,

Just nosing about from across the pond. While I'm something of a noob, I am intergrating my PC / Palm / and GPSr. Just from reading through this thread, I'm not fully understanding what your program is used for. Any chance of a basic explanation?

Thanks!

JohnTee

Don't know about your side of the pond, but we have caches where the coordinates are calculated from a series of clues. EG

N 001 4(a*2).(b/a)(b+a)(c-4)

where

a= number of steps

b=last digit of a date

c=height in feet of the wall

This program allows you to enter the calculation at home, then when in the field you just enter the numbers for a, b and c and the program calculates the coordinates.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Hi Andy,

Thanks!

JohnTee

Often in a multi-stage cache you will find a clue such as a street address that needs to be substituted into a set of co-ordinates where there is an "a", "b", etc. in place of a number. This great little utility allows you to enter the corresponding numbers (from the street address) into the "a", "b", etc spot in the array and have the program display the co-ordinates for you.

Tried it out on a real cache! Works great.

Just one question - while mine will save the numbers entered, it does not save the result of the calculation.

You mean that when you open it from the main screen it doesnt have the calculation?

The only reason for that is I didn't think of it! I will put it in next time. Thanks for the feedback, and glad it worked in the real world, hope you found the cache :wub:

Tried it out on a real cache! Works great.

Just one question - while mine will save the numbers entered, it does not save the result of the calculation.

You mean that when you open it from the main screen it doesnt have the calculation?

The only reason for that is I didn't think of it! I will put it in next time. Thanks for the feedback, and glad it worked in the real world, hope you found the cache <_<

Correct - it simply comes up with the page ready for calculation. Not a major issue - and I have yet to go out and look for the cache!

One thing I have noticed. If I have (c*d)-g where c=5, d=7 and g=6, the calculation comes out as 35-6 rather than 29. Is that normal?

Edited by walkergeoff

One thing I have noticed. If I have (c*d)-g where c=5, d=7 and g=6, the calculation comes out as 35-6 rather than 29. Is that normal?

Yes, thats normal if the whole calculation is not in brackets. I did this to allow letter values to be used on their own.

EG a(a*2).00 where a=3 = 36.00, whereas (aa*2)=66

Bottom line is, if it needs calculating, put it in brackets.

Andy

Edited by The Royles

Excellent stuff, many thanks Andy. We'll field trial it today ......... and after trying to work out some co-ords the other day using pen, pencil and paper in the rain it sure will come in useful!! <_<

I could only get round it by using another set of brackets ((c*d)-g) ........... good'ol BODMAS!