London Geocoin Now Available For Purchase

"These coins will have a unique Phone Box shaped Icon."

WoW they will be some coin........... taking 200 years to make :) I quote from the web site:-

Purchasing & Delivery

These coins are in production and expected to be received from the mint the last week of March, 2206. There will be 300 of each version made available to purchasers in Europe and 300 in North America.

These coins are available for purchase now. They will be in the Hog Wild Stuff Shopping Cart the evening of March 7.

Grin

Mike

"These coins will have a unique Phone Box shaped Icon."

WoW they will be some coin........... taking 200 years to make :) I quote from the web site:-

Purchasing & Delivery

These coins are in production and expected to be received from the mint the last week of March, 2206. There will be 300 of each version made available to purchasers in Europe and 300 in North America.

These coins are available for purchase now. They will be in the Hog Wild Stuff Shopping Cart the evening of March 7.

Grin

Mike

See how long I can work with your money.

Opinion

They look cheap and nasty and tacky just like the rubbish that is flogged to American Tourists! They in no way represent London, they represent a stereotypical Tourists London

LMAO, don't hold back Milton, say what you really think, hehe. If you are right though they will sell really well in the States :laughing::lol:

Opinion

They look cheap and nasty and tacky just like the rubbish that is flogged to American Tourists! They in no way represent London, they represent a stereotypical Tourists London

Totally agree Moote. Also the circular coin has a misquotation of what Dr Johnson actually said.

Trouble is, the 'London' moniker is now unavailable for any local UK cachers who were intending to produce something more tasteful.

What next, a coin with a picture of a man in a stripey jersey and beret, with a string of onions over his bicycle ...representing Paris? A man eating paella while being gored to death by a bull.... representing Madrid? The Leaning Tower of Pisa representing Rome? !

Roll up, roll up! Get your collectibles here! Be first, hurry up before they've all gone! Only another 190 cities to bang out!

Edited by qichina

Opinion

LMAO, don't hold back Milton, say what you really think, hehe. If you are right though they will sell really well in the States :laughing::lol:

Fact

Well it is an American Cacher selling this tat, so at least he will make more profits, as the postage will be less! I do hope that the UK Coin Group don't order these!

Opinion

LMAO, don't hold back Milton, say what you really think, hehe. If you are right though they will sell really well in the States :lol::laughing:

Fact

Well it is an American Cacher selling this tat, so at least he will make more profits, as the postage will be less! I do hope that the UK Coin Group don't order these!

Aren't all geocoins just tat though and fodder for the stat/icon chasers? Can't see why so much negativity against this one coin, there's several others out there that deserve just as much critiscm if truth be known. Don't shoot me down in flames, just curious as to why the disparaging comments as i fail to see why this one stands out from the rest on the market for such negativity?.

As for being stereotypical tourist's London, what would you have preferred to have seen, the millenium tent, the wobbly bridge, Diana's ring or maybe something that reflected the increase in gun crime, the increase in homelessness, drug abuse and street robbery, the latter four things very much not your stereotypical tourists view of London but very much real and in your face.

Suppose it would be too impertinent to ask if you will be "logging" it for the icon grab should you come across it in a cache?

Aren't all geocoins just tat though and fodder for the stat/icon chasers? Can't see why so much negativity against this one coin, there's several others out there that deserve just as much critiscm if truth be known. Don't shoot me down in flames, just curious as to why the disparaging comments as i fail to see why this one stands out from the rest on the market for such negativity?.

As for being stereotypical tourist's London, what would you have preferred to have seen, the millenium tent, the wobbly bridge, Diana's ring or maybe something that reflected the increase in gun crime, the increase in homelessness, drug abuse and street robbery, the latter four things very much not your stereotypical tourists view of London but very much real and in your face.

Suppose it would be too impertinent to ask if you will be "logging" it for the icon grab should you come across it in a cache?

Fact

Good point!

Couldn't agree more. Very proud Londoner born and bred here, and my order is in. As you say, without a very obvious flag to reppresent London, then all symbols/icons are cliched by their very nature - thistles, leeks, whatever. Doesn't always make them bad though. IMHO, I would have liked to see the London coat of arms on a coin, but how many people in this country would recognise that for what it is, let alone anyone in the US. And like it or not, we have to market these things with the US in mind, to at least keep costs low!

Finally, projected pictures always look a bit more rough around the edges than the minted product. I'm looking forward to seeing mine anyway!

Cheers

Dave

Isn't the leaning tower actually in Pisa,

or have they moved it for the tourists :wub:

Sorry! :anicute:

Er that was a joke.

Geddit?

Gormless tourists buying souvenirs might fall for it, and miss the clue in the description of the Tower as being "of Pisa". Not " of Rome". Or as they say in The US, "Rome, Italy".

Opinion

Red telephone box! Symbol of London? Not at all, there are 2 of these outside my place of work identical to the ones seen in London, but without the "Call Girly cards" pinned to every square inch of available space. With the only exception of Kingston Upon Hull and surrounding areas, the Red Phone Box symbol is nothing to do with London but is to do with the UK.

I'm surprised that we as UK cachers are happy to be portrayed in this way, by people from other Countries!

I thik these coins are dreadful...

I like coins from the UK - I have UK, Wales and Scotland Coins, and I'll buy an Irish one too. However, these are REALLY tacky - you can tell that we here had no input into them.

I think those UK cachers who buy them will be buying them because they are just another coin... sad really that the cachers who commissioned them didn't involve us in their production. We could have TOLD them what would be iconic of London...

I thik these coins are dreadful...

I like coins from the UK - I have UK, Wales and Scotland Coins, and I'll buy an Irish one too. However, these are REALLY tacky - you can tell that we here had no input into them.

I think those UK cachers who buy them will be buying them because they are just another coin... sad really that the cachers who commissioned them didn't involve us in their production. We could have TOLD them what would be iconic of London...

Joke

Hazel, but I think they are also tacky etc. so you should like them; as no one ever agrees with me :(<_<:(

Edited by Moote.

This coin has been a joint effort between Lynn of the UK Coin club and Hogwildstuff.

I hope Lynn isn't taking the coin opinions too personally... as she did have input into the coin apparently. I'm not sure there was any more input into the other regional coins we've all got. I don't know about anyone else, but I feel the tone of this thread is getting a bit personal. Obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for those of us who do want the coin, is it not a bit belittling to have our opinions mocked? Anyway, just my thoughts, FWIW.

.<snip>....... I don't know about anyone else, but I feel the tone of this thread is getting a bit personal. Obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for those of us who do want the coin, is it not a bit belittling to have our opinions mocked? Anyway, just my thoughts, FWIW.

Although unfavourable opinions have been expressed, I don't feel that anything too personal has been said. I'm happy for the thread to develop as long as it discusses the merits or otherwise of these COINS, not individual collectors.

Ta.

It's not personal at all. By your logic, no one is entitled to express the opinion that they dislike their region or city being represented by tasteless or inapproriate images on a geocoin, just because some people are willing to buy it. We only have the seller's word that Lynn was somehow involved, she hasn't said anything about it, so I think you should leave it to her to comment if she wishes. By mentioning "the UK Coin Club", the seller is trying to infer that somehow the official UK coin club has been fully involved in the design of this piece of crass merchandizing. It has not.

The same seller Hog Wild Stuff did a similar thing with the San Francisco coin back in October 2005. There was no consultation with the Geocachers of the Bay Area (GBA) and along with the Pacific Coin Collective, they boycotted purchase of it.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1769896

Edited by qichina

I never had any intentions of buying the coin, before this discussion developed. I don't particularly have an opinion on the actual quality of the coin either.

But there is nothing saying that someone can't go ahead and make a coin on any particular theme. If you don't want this person making coins about your particular area, then may I suggest you get your finger out and start designing and organising a coin for it, as that is all this person is doing. Grabbing the market whilst it is still available. Nothing wrong with that, even if you don't like the final outcome.

Remember, The key to failure is to try and please everyone , so it doesn't matter who commissions a coin, not everyone will be happy about it. In the case of the London coin, it looks to me to be sour grapes. <_<

I think accusing me of 'sour grapes' is unfair. All I'm saying is that there was a great opportunity here for a beautiful coin to be made which celebrated the history, dignity and energy of London. Instead we got a piece of tat, just so the seller could be first past the post and make a lot of money. Now it's made, no other design can be called the "London Geocoin".

I think it's a shame, that's all.

Edited by qichina

I was in no way saying that people bcouldn't express an opinion - i actually explicitly stated that people should be allowed to express an opinion, I was merely stating the hope that the thread didn't turn too personal. Lacto has said he is happy at the moment, and that is good enough for me. Obviously, we only have the OP's word that Lynn is involved, although it would be a rather daft lie if she isn't, cos I'm sure that would soon be refuted.

As I said in an earlier post, these are only projected images of the coin - The actual minted coins often look much smarter. Yes, the pics are cliched, but so are many images on coins. If they weren't, it may not be immediately obvious where the coin is representing. London Taxis and routemaster buses are equally cliched. And yes, I'm a very proud Londoner...

Finally, the USA release a coin everyt year, there's no reason why London can't do the same is there?

Can I suggest that any discussion of what are acceptable discussions about coins is not a discussion about the London coin and hence should be under another topic.

Guidance has been given to what is acceptable and although I favour this being considered further it should be done without stippling debate on this coin by flooding the topic with off topic posts.

One final though. If the coin continues to receive specific negative feedback on elements of it then it may not be to late improve it.

I have ordered one of the coins and am gonna us it for what geocoins were first used for "realeasing into the wild"

I like the phone box its fun and unusual......... someone picked 2 of my coins up the other day and emailed to say how much they liked them as they were unusual <_< lets face it we all arent gonna like the same things now are we

I think accusing me of 'sour grapes' is unfair. All I'm saying is that there was a great opportunity here for a beautiful coin to be made which celebrated the history, dignity and energy of London. Instead we got a piece of tat, just so the seller could be first past the post and make a lot of money. Now it's made, no other design can be called the "London Geocoin".

Accusing you of sour grapes in your opinion may be unfair, now with that thought, think about that you are not accusing the OP, but are saying that his work is TAT, now that is more than unfair!! <_<

Who is there to discern on whom should be the first past the post to mint a specific coin? I don't believe there is anyone? Unless YOU are applying for the job of being a coin policeman??

Accusing you of sour grapes in your opinion may be unfair, now with that thought, think about that you are not accusing the OP, but are saying that his work is TAT, now that is more than unfair!! <_<

Who is there to discern on whom should be the first past the post to mint a specific coin? I don't believe there is anyone? Unless YOU are applying for the job of being a coin policeman??

OK calm down.

The term 'sour grapes' might apply to someone who's bitter because someone else thought of a lucrative idea first. But that's not the case here. Obviously someone was bound to make a London coin as it's likely to get a lot of very lucrative interest given the popularity of geocaching in the UK, and the sales promotion of it over these USA-UK English language forums. That's not the issue.

It's perfectly valid and fair to say the design is awful, and reminiscent of the cheap tat they sell to tourists in London.

As other american geocachers have noted in other forum discussions, it's one thing to mint a tasteless Personal Geocoin, but it's another thing to produce something that purports to represent a specific region without any consensus from local cachers as to what 'image' they want to convey.

Edited by qichina

It seems to me that people are becoming annoyed about this because the OP is minting coins for many regions, and therefore making money out of it.

I don't really understand why people have such an issue with this (along with coins on ebay). We live in a capitalist society and this kind of practice is symbolic of that. There is a huge market for geocoins, so people will exploit that market. A business or a private individual who chooses to mint coins has no obligation to ask outsiders for input, that is a right reserved for investors. Consumers are free to vote with their wallets.

The only way you will ever stop this kind of thing happening is to get some kind of agreement from Groundspeak about regulating geocoin production for region specific coins, and seeing as the production of geocoins generates them a large amount of revenue for very little work I can't see them going for it in a big way.

Incidentally, before the announcement of this coin were people planning a London coin? If this coin hadn't been announced would we have had a London coin minted this year by a UK/London cacher? I seriously doubt it...

qichina - I am calm, and you hit the nail on the head for the explanation of the term 'sour grapes', as that is exactly what I see being voiced. Just my opinion of course. <_<

As I said before that's simply not the case. Just repeating an opinion/accusation doesn't make it true. It's doesn't exactly advance the logic of an argument either. I very much doubt that Moote or HazelS are criticizing the coin because of the lost opportunity to make a fast buck either.

I appreciate Cryptik's point of view up to a point. That's our wonderful free enterprise system where "Greed is good" as they said in Stone's "Wall Street". But free enterprise creates many horrors if left unchecked, or if people don't voice their concerns. Acres of beautiful woodland could be turned over to tacky theme parks if it wasn't for English Heritage. Your neighbour could erect a fluorescent-strip tower advertising lap-dancing on his property - if it wasn't that people saw the need to control such tackiness. Tacky tasteless stuff will always sell well to certain markets, but that shouldn't be a reason why individuals can't object. I couldn't care less about some personal coin celebrating wombat-teasing or something. I do object to the "appropriation" of London (or Edinburgh or Cardiff) by someone who clearly has no connnection with, or appreciation of, the city without giving interested parties a prior opportunity to comment.

Edited by qichina
  • Upvote 1

At risk of inflaming the topic, I had assumed that people who made coins made 'a bit' - enough to make the effort worthwhile, but I never thought that they made enough to make it an enterprise.

If anyone knows I'd be curious to know how much profit there is in 1000 coins with an icon.

I feel a PM or e-mail might be more appropriate than a reply here becuase people will have opinions. I don't have any particular opinion on the amount, I'm just curious and I don't intend to get involved in manufacture because my artistic skills are zero.

Just repeating an opinion/accusation doesn't make it true. It's doesn't exactly advance the logic of an argument either.

Who said anything about me being logical or advanced? :rolleyes:

The reason I have not expanded on my point of view, is that I have already made my point clearly enough, therefore do not see the need to justify my comments any further.

I also like moote, do not wish to enter into what is an argument, as you have stated that this is! I would have prefered to have descirbed it as a discussion or difference of opinion. :huh:

Edited by Haggis Hunter

At risk of inflaming the topic, I had assumed that people who made coins made 'a bit' - enough to make the effort worthwhile, but I never thought that they made enough to make it an enterprise.

If anyone knows I'd be curious to know how much profit there is in 1000 coins with an icon.

I feel a PM or e-mail might be more appropriate than a reply here becuase people will have opinions. I don't have any particular opinion on the amount, I'm just curious and I don't intend to get involved in manufacture because my artistic skills are zero.

Obviously it will vary depending on coin size, design and final selling price.

1000 tracking numbers will cost $1500, plus $100 for the icon.

coinsandpins.com quoted me these prices for manufacture:

1.5" diameter, 4 soft enamel colors, polished finish - $3.32 per coin

42mm diameter, 4 soft enamel colors, polished finish - $3.57 per coin

1.75" diameter, 4 soft enamel colors, polished finish - $3.84 per coin

These included shipping to the UK and were based on batches of 250 coins, so the cost per unit may be lower for 1000. They also stated these were for 2D coins, and 3D designs would be more expensive.

If you don't like the coins, don't buy them. Some people need to get a life instead of trying to belittle someone elses efforts.

If someone is making money, SO WHAT? get off off your own backsides and make some yourselves instead of slating other people.

The trouble with this hobby is that it's begining to get its fair share of people who think your opinions should be the same as theirs, instead of getting out and enjoying the hobby for what it is.

I'm buying two coins for my six year old daughter, one to keep(Yes she collects them!!!!!) and the other to set loose into the big wide yonder.

Just my ten pence worth !

Feel free to slate me, im big enough and ugly enough to take it, plus you'll be leaving other people alone.

Regards

Jacko 65