60csx And 512mb Memory Card

I'm sure I'm being dumb but I just can't figure out how to make my new 60csx upload to a 512MB microSD card.

Here's the situation:-

60csx with 2.60 firmware and 512MB SanDisk microSD card

Mapsource with latest update.

I've selected around 371 MB of maps from City Select NA v7 and European Metro Guide and tried to send them to the GPS. It first builds the indexes (takes about 20 minutes) and then shows the window, "Erasing previous map set... (this may take a few minutes)". That's where it stops - so far I've been waiting on that window for an hour with nothing changing. Is this normal? How long does this process take?

I tried a small upload (less than 64MB) and that worked fine with no delays. Is there something I need to do to tell the GPS that it has a larger memory card or to initialize the card? I can find nothing in the manual or on the Garmin website about using larger cards.

All suggestions gratefully accepted!

Mike

I just bought a 512MB SanDisk card today. I sent 400MB of map data. I clocked it and the whole process took about 55 minutes. I checked back on numerous occasions and always verified that the progress indicator bar was moving.

Could be maybe a corrupted .img file hanging up MapSource... Try loading different maps - all City Select the first time. If it happens again, try all European Metro Guide maps.

Are you sending any other data along with it - waypoints, routes or tracks? If so, try just sending the maps.

Try also installing the new GPSMAP 60Cx software version 2.62 Beta as of March 9, 2006. I doubt that it has anything to do with it, but it does give you the ability to send your tracks to the MicroSD card!

Of course there's always the chance that your new card is bad...? If it makes you feel any better, the card reader that I also bought won't read the data on my MicroSD cards! So I'll be makin' a trip back to the store soon.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm working my way up. Currently sending 80MB of US CS data only. Seems to be working OK - I didn't even see the "Erasing previous map set" message at all.

Next I'll try 129MB of US only, then 257MB and so on. This is a painful and slow process. So far I'm not impressed with the 60csx...

Next I'll try 129MB of US only, then 257MB and so on. This is a painful and slow process. So far I'm not impressed with the 60csx...

I feel for you - really I do. I've been playin' with my unit the whole weekend! It sucks when things don't work the way they're supposed to. But don't blame the GPSr! Lots of people have the 512MB cards in 'em and they work well. I think you'll find the problem is not with the GPSr.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Well I've discovered something strange. MapSource manages to crash the SpeedStep system in my laptop and forces the processor speed down to 600MHz! That partly explains how slow this process is. It's not done this before so I suspect it's the latest MapSource upgrade that started this.

The pain continues...

I have read somewhere on this site that the problem is the number of map segments are limited to a certain number. You may want to do a search on that. Practically, I load only the areas I am going to be in and that is typically Oregon and Washington, and I add the topo maps for that region too. That takes about 118 mb and that is fine for my 256mb card in my6 60CSx.

Do a search on map segments, and that should tell you what the upper map segment limit is. That would be one advantage of City Navigator over City Select.

Geofindr

The 60cx came with a 64MB card in it and I recieved an additional 512mb for a $1 more. Haven't put the 512 in yet not sure I'll need to. I have put all of NM, 1/4 of wTx., 1/2 Ut., 3/4 Az, 2/3 Co.Guess I could load the 512 card incase i go out side that area. I can see that the map areas are smaller back east so you would want to load more.

using CS NA v7

Having worked my way up in map sizes it looks like 256MB is the magic limit. Anything less than 256MB works (eventually after an hour or so) - anything more and it hangs on the "Erasing previous map set" screen.

I guess the next step is to go and buy a memory card reader so I can see if my SandIsk 512MB card is really 512MB or actually only 256MB!

(PS - I was only sending around 200 map segments which is well below the allowed 1,000 or so)

Edited by Lignumaqua

I also have the Garmin 60csx with 512. I am trying to load all of alaska on it.

when it get to 90% done it stops with erre massage

Has anybody gotten their 60 or 76 CSX to take more than 256Meg of maps on their unit?

One of the only reasons I would want to upgrade is so I can load more Topo's and City Select segments to cover the places I travel.

I suppose I could have 2 256 SD's with different parts of the country, but it would be nice if they could all fit on 1.

I guess the next step is to go and buy a memory card reader so I can see if my SandIsk 512MB card is really 512MB or actually only 256MB!

Update - I tested the card and it is a good 512MB card. No problem using the whole capacity within Windows using a USB memory card reader.

No nearer fixing my problem - I've written to Garmin Tech Support. Hopefully they can suggest something.

You'll save 95% of the time if you load your maps into your card using a reader instead of directly into the 60x. To load 512MB will only take about 10 minutes.

You'll then need to put the card back into your 60x and load just the waypoints, routes, etc...

These readers costs next to nothing, $10-$20 so I would recommend that you load the maps that way from now on...

Edited by jcc123
I like that idea but how do you create the img file with the set of maps that you want in the first place?

Use mapsource and transfer directly to the card in the reader instead of the GPSr. It shows up as a device.

That's how I put the City Select maps onto my 256MB card.

-bob

I have a Map76C and wanted to purchase a 512 card. I emailed Garmin to ask if I could and they said it was NOT advisable and that 256 was the largest I should use. Sorry, I did not ask the reasons.

Just noted that the new revision of MapSource allows the use of 512s. See the following:

* Change so that MapSource is compatible with 512 MB Garmin data cards when the card is in the unit and data is transferred to the unit (via USB or serial). The 512 MB Garmin data cards are not currently compatible with the USB data card programmer.

Edited by M170
I like that idea but how do you create the img file with the set of maps that you want in the first place?

Use mapsource and transfer directly to the card in the reader instead of the GPSr. It shows up as a device.

-bob

Bob - you're a star - that worked! I just transferred 456MB this way.

Thanks everyone for all the useful suggestions. Looks like there's some issue with sending more than 256MB through the GPSr but if you use a card reader and send it directly to the card instead it works.

It's a bit of a pain having to take that tiny card out every time you want to load it - but at least it works.

-bob

Yup that works on my card reader here too. I assume that after you have copied the image files to the SD that the 60CSX has no trouble finding them?

The next question is, if a 512 meg works, how about the 1Gig? That I think would give me complete coverage of all the places I go in the US, Canada and Caribbean.

I just transferred 456MB this way.

Glad to hear you got it worked out... How long did that 456MB take? :D

I thought that the "Change so that MapSource is compatible with 512 MB Garmin data cards" was refering to their proprietary "Data Card" memory cards that were used in eMaps and old StreetPilots. It never crossed my mind that that change refered to the TransFlash cards!

Edited by Neo_Geo

I just transferred 456MB this way.

Glad to hear you got it worked out... How long did that 456MB take?

Whole process took about 45-50 minutes I think. About 40 minutes of that was Mapsource "Creating Indexes" (painfully slow process - especially as Mapsource manages to overrride the SpeedStep setting in my laptop so the processor drops to 600MHz from the normal 1.7GHz at times! That's a good trick...). Actually copying the img file to the card at the end only took it 5-10 minutes.

Edited by Lignumaqua

You'll save 95% of the time if you load your maps into your card using a reader instead of directly into the 60x. To load 512MB will only take about 10 minutes.

I your ida it works great using the card read. I got all of alaska on the 512. it only used about 150mb.

I think the problem is a time isu with the 60csx

I have a 1GB card.

I put the 64MEG card and saw it was formatted FAT32

The new 1GB was formatted FAT. So I reformatted it FAT32.

I put most of the east on it. It took 665.3meg. not problems.

I removed the 60Cx from the computer and was able to install the same maps on a 1GB SD card.

It is 10 times faster. Next time I will use the adapter, and install directly to the microSD.

Just for the heck of it I just checked, and it would take 1435.4meg for the lower 48 states.

The largest microSD right now is 1GB

I have a 1GB card.

I removed the 60Cx from the computer and was able to install the same maps on a 1GB SD card.

It is 10 times faster. Next time I will use the adapter, and install directly to the microSD.

Just for the heck of it I just checked, and it would take 1435.4meg for the lower 48 states.

Nice to see that 1GB works. I would also guess that 2GB will work to when its released.

I have a 1GB card.

Before I make my transflash purchase I want to be certain of a couple of things...

Are there access time specs published anywhere on the microSD chips that ship with the unit? If so can someone post them?

In connection with the first question has anybody determined if there any advantage to pending more $ for faster access times? Does the unit repaint faster? Does it acquire faster, store more points?

Are there any particular manufacturer's microSD's that have not worked?

Thanks, I ordered one for 67 delivered.

How long did it take to get here from the UK?

Lookslike it comes with an adapter...so that is the way to put maps on the card to save time. Glad Im' not still using serial port any more LOL

I have a 1GB card.

Where'd ya get it??? :unsure:

Ebay

FastMemoryMan, he has it for about $60.00 shipped

I just have to add that I just added 147mb of maps to my new 512mb card and it is taking forever. I can't wait for my new laptop so I have the sd card reader. Just a note for anyone thinking about massive amounts of data, probably worth getting a card reader.

If you examine the auction, I believe that it is being shipped from USA

Emartbuy Ltd

FastMemoryMan

135 N Main St. Ste B

Washington Court House, Ohio 43160

Lookslike it comes with an adapter...so that is the way to put maps on the card to save time. Glad Im' not still using serial port any more LOL

I have a 1GB card.

Where'd ya get it??? :rolleyes:

Ebay

I ordered one from fastmemoryman and never got it. They kept telling me it takes 5 to 15 days to get it and would not address the fact that it should not take that long to get from OH to IL. It seemed like no matter what I said to them, all they would do is tell me it takes 5 to 15 days no matter where it is shipped. After I threatened to leave them negative feedback, they gave me a refund. I then bought one from dz_corp@yahoo.com and got it in a couple of days. The one from fastmemoryman never showed up. I also thought 5-15 days was not fast like they advertised. I will never use them again.

If you examine the auction, I believe that it is being shipped from USA

Emartbuy Ltd

FastMemoryMan

135 N Main St. Ste B

Washington Court House, Ohio 43160

I have a 1GB card.

Where'd ya get it??? :rolleyes:

Ebay

I have a 1gb micro SD. Last night I transferred 965mb of map data to it without a problem (approx 260 segments of GB topo, including autorouting data). Total time taken from selecting the segments in Mapsource to getting them on the card was about 20 minutes (via card reader built into my laptop). Now the card is in my 60csx and the maps are displaying properly.

:)

Well great...glad I used a credit card instead of direct on paypal..

Hope mine comes..it seems most are OK with his deals but a good percentage have problems. If its just coming from ohio I wonder about his sources..must be grey market or something since all the legit vendors are out of these.

I ordered one from fastmemoryman and never got it. They kept telling me it takes 5 to 15 days to get it and would not address the fact that it should not take that long to get from OH to IL. It seemed like no matter what I said to them, all they would do is tell me it takes 5 to 15 days no matter where it is shipped. After I threatened to leave them negative feedback, they gave me a refund. I then bought one from dz_corp@yahoo.com and got it in a couple of days. The one from fastmemoryman never showed up. I also thought 5-15 days was not fast like they advertised. I will never use them again.

Okay... two different people saying that they have 1GB microSD cards... but still not a link to buy them at. :huh:

Where are you folks getting them at? I'll cancel my order from Outpost.com in a heartbeat if someone can tell me where I can order one overnight and have it Monday from...

ONe guy said he got his on ebay, another guy said he had bad luck with that seller...

Okay... two different people saying that they have 1GB microSD cards... but still not a link to buy them at. :huh:

Where are you folks getting them at? I'll cancel my order from Outpost.com in a heartbeat if someone can tell me where I can order one overnight and have it Monday from...

I just read post #40

Entered the name in google and BAM

:laughing:http://stores.ebay.com/Super-Flash-Memory-Store :unsure:

Okay... two different people saying that they have 1GB microSD cards... but still not a link to buy them at. :)

I may have missed something, even in re-reading the thread. Is anyone loading maps to a 1 GB card THROUGH the 60CSx with no problems? (512 MB cards?)

I keep getting the impression the successful loads are all being dome through card readers.

Rick

Edited by rstickle

I am quoting form a previous post I left.

>I have a 1GB card.

>I put the 64MEG card and saw it was formatted FAT32

>The new 1GB was formatted FAT. So I reformatted it FAT32.

>I put most of the east on it. It took 665.3meg. no problems.

>I removed the 60Cx from the computer and was able to install the same maps on a 1GB SD card.

>It is 10 times faster. Next time I will use the adapter, and install directly to the microSD.

I had no problems transfering 665.3meg. It took a while, but hey I just started the upload and went and wached TV. No big deal. It is much faster using a card reader. But in no means is it necessary. I have a SD slot in my laptop.

I may have missed something, even in re-reading the thread. Is anyone loading maps to a 1 GB card THROUGH the 60CSx with no problems? (512 MB cards?)

I keep getting the impression the successful loads are all being dome through card readers.

Rick

Yes. I have 912 megs of maps on my 1 gig card. That is 1,843 maps in a compination of City Select, Topo USA, National Park 24 K Central, and National Park 24 K West. I tried it with my card reader and it said the disk was copy protected. So I did it via the USB port of the unit. It worked fine, but took a couple of hours. But I do not plan to chance my map set any time soon so the time is not that big of an isue.

Rick

Looking at windows explorer, it says there is only 484meg available in my Scandisk 512 microsd. Is that for real? Mapsource / CN v7 agrees… I even reformatted to fat32, it didn’t make a difference. FAT or FAT32 doesn’t make a difference.

I thought about changing the allocation block size, but was afraid I would destroy it. Even at that, not sure what size to change it too. Have you guys tried messing with that? And what is the most you can cram onto a 512?

I have a 60csx, and using a card reader to load the maps. ( A BIG THANK YOU to the guy that posted that card reader shortcut. )