70csx Or 60 Csx

I have been looking at my next GPS and am looking at the 60CSX or the 76CSX

In the UK the 76CSX is £418.94 inc vat which includes a 128 SD card .. the 60CSX is £398.94 inc vat with a 64 MB SD .. but thats as far as I can see the difference

So ignoring the form factor and the 128M card V 64M card ... help me .... whats the difference ???

So ignoring the form factor and the 128M card V 64M card ... help me .... whats the difference ???

You can disregard the cards and any differences in the basemaps, too, since almost everyone will be using 512MB or 1GB cards (I have a 512MB in my 60CSx now and have a 1GB enroute). The 76 floats well and the 60 just barely floats. What it all comes down to is how does it feel to you, and the configuration of buttons that you prefer. They're both GREAT units!

In the UK the 76CSX is £418.94 inc vat which includes a 128 SD card .. the 60CSX is £398.94 inc vat with a 64 MB SD .. but thats as far as I can see the difference

I did a lot of research into both models and the difference is in the base maps. Garmin sell the 76CSx as a marine one based on the fact it floats and the inbuilt marine database of POI's. I have the Atlantic charts and these have all that info when uploaded.

I went in the end for the 60CSx as I preferred the button config and it is more suitable as an outdoor all rounder IMHO. I actually downloaded both manuals and went through them page by page and there is no difference in the functioality.... So, unless the card size is an issue got for the one you think will feel ok for you.

So the basemaps ARE different in the csx versions...I guess since I always have mapsource maps loaded its a non-issue though..you can only see one map type at a time anyway, right?

I did a lot of research into both models and the difference is in the base maps. Garmin sell the 76CSx as a marine one based on the fact it floats and the inbuilt marine database of POI's. I have the Atlantic charts and these have all that info when uploaded.

I went in the end for the 60CSx as I preferred the button config and it is more suitable as an outdoor all rounder IMHO. I actually downloaded both manuals and went through them page by page and there is no difference in the functioality.... So, unless the card size is an issue got for the one you think will feel ok for you.

So the basemaps ARE different in the csx versions...I guess since I always have mapsource maps loaded its a non-issue though..you can only see one map type at a time anyway, right?

Yes, I am the same, the base maps are not important to me as I have other mapsource products loaded. You can load maps from differnet mapsource products onto the GPSr, to see them you have to press Menu and selct map setup then the map you want to look at. I have just ordered TOPO UK so will be loading both for the area I neeed and switching between them.....or at least that is the plan! :(

I agree. the previous 76 series also had the advantage of showing Tide Stations for users outside of US who also use BlueCharts. The 60CS for example did not have the Tide Station function. However the new x series all seem to have the Tide Station function - even the Legend Cx - an excellent idea.

The noted differences between the two are as follows:

1. Size/shape

2. Button Placement

3. The 76 series floats

4. The 76 comes with a larger transflash card.

I agree. the previous 76 series also had the advantage of showing Tide Stations for users outside of US who also use BlueCharts. The 60CS for example did not have the Tide Station function. However the new x series all seem to have the Tide Station function - even the Legend Cx - an excellent idea.

1. Size/shape

2. Button Placement

3. The 76 series floats

Actually, the 60CS does do tide functions. It is just not advertised.

1. Size/shape

2. Button Placement

3. The 76 series floats

While the basemaps of the 60C/S and 76C/S are different, the x-series 60 and 76 have the same basemaps.

CLICK HERE to see specs for the 60CSx. GPSMAP 60CSx Features:

Includes a built-in Americas autoroute basemap with automatic routing capabilities, including highways, exits, and tide data (USA only)

CLICK HERE to see specs for the 60CSx. GPSMAP 76CSx Features:

Includes a built-in Americas autoroute basemap with automatic routing capabilities, including highways, exits, and tide data (USA only)

Note that both both units have the Tide Functions!

Edited by Neo_Geo

You can load the marine database in either unit. When you do this, you erase maps on the unit, but since you have the SD cards, you can put the maps there.

I've done this with the 60cs, but without the SD card, I can't use my land maps.

Whenever the memory is re-loaded, whether it's the card (x version), or via the non x, all the items (databases) that you want to be loaded have to be loaded together....ie. CitySelect, Topo, 168 Tides, or whatever. Loading just one type means that you want just that one to be in your GPSr and all the previously loaded items will be erased.