Forums Gone Wild

cache_test_dummies

Earlier tonight, I happened to be looking at the bottom of the Forum home page when I noticed that the "most users ever online was ... " record had just been set. I watched it for a few moments, and the record kept climbing. It reached a peak at 776 users, and then began to drop.

This was a just before 9:00 (EST) on a Sunday. In the past, I've had the feeling that the Forum user spikes were associated with some particular event, like the day many of us were following the live legislative events in South Carolina.

But today was just another day in the world of geocaching, so I was surprised at the spike. GC.com is down for what I assume to be unscheduled maintenance, which may have something to do with it.

Or maybe with the growing popularity of geocaching we can expect to see forum records being set on a more regular basis.

In any case, the Forums seemed to be performing pretty well under the high load, which is good news.

Anybody happen to remember what the "most users ever online was ..." record was prior to today?

gc_forums_most_users_ever.gif

Earlier tonight, I happened to be looking at the bottom of the Forum home page when I noticed that the "most users ever online was ... " record had just been set. I watched it for a few moments, and the record kept climbing. It reached a peak at 776 users, and then began to drop.

This was a just before 9:00 (EST) on a Sunday. In the past, I've had the feeling that the Forum user spikes were associated with some particular event, like the day many of us were following the live legislative events in South Carolina.

But today was just another day in the world of geocaching, so I was surprised at the spike. GC.com is down for what I assume to be unscheduled maintenance, which may have something to do with it.

Or maybe with the growing popularity of geocaching we can expect to see forum records being set on a more regular basis.

In any case, the Forums seemed to be performing pretty well under the high load, which is good news.

Anybody happen to remember what the "most users ever online was ..." record was prior to today?

WOW, and to think I was part of gc history this afternoon and didn't even realize it.

I believe the previous record was 550 (ish?) set February 23rd. I think........

I knew I should have run those PQs sooner---We are going on a trip this week, and I've been peeking through caches we might want to try. I was going create PQs after the Sopranos, and set them to run early tomorrow, so I could get them into the gps tomorrow. Ohwell, here's hoping it is all better soon.

I think it was like 556

I was there last night, wild and crazy (still trying to recover) - I've got some good footage, the DVD will be out sometime next month. Lots of frog action ;) .

Right now I just need more coffee. I just now checked up on things (Sunday morning, 7:30am Pacific time) and collected the following data:

Users other than me in each section of forum:

5, Geocaching.com Web Site

12, Getting Started

31, Geocaching Topics

10, Off Topic

0 Cache In Trash Out

31,GPS Units and Software

22 in all other GPS-related topics

5 in all the regional forums

15 in all individual country forums

0 in all Waymarking forums

That’s 132 users (including myself)

And if you count up the actual userids at the bottom of the main page, it seems to be about that many.

Yet the system reports “2074 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes”

Yeah - right! Where is everybody?!?