Gpss

The Lowrance iFinder Go can be found new for around $69. I've seen the Garmin Geko 101 for as low as $49.

They will work fine for geocaching, but have their limitations.

You might also want to check Ebay, or this website's GPS Garage Sale forum for deals on used and new units.

As someone who uses an iFinder GO for caching, I thought I'd comment further.

They are very inexpensive, you can buy new on the Internet with a 1 year factory warranty for about $65-70 + shipping and perhaps less than that used on eBay. They work very well, great reception and even have a basemap (which I believe the entry level Garmin and Magellan units do not). One limitation is that it is a "base" map, just of major roads (though a few major streets as well, not just routes with numbers), not one of streets, etc. and you cannot upgrade it to such.

Another is lack of a port to attach an external antenna. However the reception is so good on this you probably wouldn't need one anyway. I had it under a hat I put on my 4-year old son while he rode his tricycle to see how fast he was riding and how far he went and it kept near-perfect lock!

The major limitation is the lack of computer connectivity. There is a cable you can buy from Lowrance that connects to the bottom port that will technically let you download/upload waypoints, etc. but its a "hacking trick" you have to search for on the web that involves converting to NMEA commands/language (the port is for connecting the GPS to marine NMEA equipment).

If you're like me and only do 1-2 caches per week if that or less, entering manual waypoints (though do them carefully) is not a big deal and this GPS is more than worth it in that case if you're on a budget. But if you decide to cache more often than that, having to manual enter waypoints each time will drive you nuts!

Good luck and cache on!

Edited by hairymon