Groups - Not Just For Category Management

The Group functionality on Waymarking.com was not just created for the management of waymark categories, but a new feature that helps you manage groups of people in communities of similar interests. Eventually this will be transferred to Geocaching.com to allow things like:

1. Family Groups - to see what family members are geocaching and to chat

2. Geocaching orgs - an official member list for geocaching organizations around the globe

3. And probably some things we haven't thought of yet like event attendees and such.

We will be sharing these groups across Geocaching.com and Waymarking.com as we start to merge the functionality of both sites together.

I suggest that folks who are interested can create their non-category management groups just for fun and to see how the process works. You can turn off the category creation portion of the page if you just want to see how it all works without the stress of creating a category.

I'm not sure if this is the right spot to mention this, if I should start a new thread, or if this has already been brought up.

When you go to a group and click the link saying that you would like to join, it would be nice if it included a message to the owner of the group so that you can state if you want to be just a member, or an officer. I have a worry that when I join a group the leader will promote me and I might not want to accept any more officer postitions. Of course, they can demote me but that seems like too many extra steps. I can send another email to them as well, but again it's an extra step.

I'm not sure if this is the right spot to mention this, if I should start a new thread, or if this has already been brought up.

When you go to a group and click the link saying that you would like to join, it would be nice if it included a message to the owner of the group so that you can state if you want to be just a member, or an officer. I have a worry that when I join a group the leader will promote me and I might not want to accept any more officer postitions. Of course, they can demote me but that seems like too many extra steps. I can send another email to them as well, but again it's an extra step.

I agree...good idea...probably should be a "feature desired" thread all by itself....