Base Map - Garmin Gpsmap 60csx

I live in Australia and will be buying a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx soon direct from one of the USA / Canadian Suppliers. If I purchase direct from eg. USA, I will get a Unit with a routable USA Basemap showing cities, highways, interstates, exit info, rivers lakes; preloaded with worldwide cities (so I'm told).

Does anyone who has one of these Garmin Handhelds actually use this Basemap ? - or does it have any association with other MapSource Software subsequently loaded ? Is it of any use at all ???

What I'm basically asking is - will I be disadvantaged in any way at all by not having my local Basemap in the Unit ? (I think that the Australian Basemap is loaded by some company here in Australia after the Units are imported before they are then sent to the Dealers to sell them - at a hugely inflated price).

Thanks in advance for any comments / advice.

The only use I've ever had for the basemap is if I'm on an extended motor-trip and did not have enough map memory for the entire route using City Select. I will load up with the destination area maps and any cities in the route that I may have to drive through and leave the in-between to the basemap which most often displays the highway or Interstate that I'm taking. Now with the new 'X' units it's possible to have the entire route covered.

If you will be using auto-routable maps of your area then the basemap will serve no function. However if you plan on using maps that will not allow auto-routing then the basemap will provide this function while your own maps are displayed. However because of the very limited detail provided by the basemap (major roads only) auto-routing with it can be a real adventure.

Cheers, Olar

If you will be using auto-routable maps of your area then the basemap will serve no function. However if you plan on using maps that will not allow auto-routing then the basemap will provide this function while your own maps are displayed. However because of the very limited detail provided by the basemap (major roads only) auto-routing with it can be a real adventure.

Cheers, Olar

Thanks Olar.

Actually I want to use the Unit primarily for hiking - I don't really intend using it in the car - perhaps I'll change my mind later on though !

I purchased a Legend Cx from the States with an American basemap, and I'm not using the basemap at all. Infact, the Australian basemap is pretty much useless anyway.

These units are great to use with Maps, but the basemap is a joke. Major roads are WAY off.

Want a comparison? Guess which is the basemap:

map-compare.gif

For good prices, look for http://www.rei.com and http://www.provantage.com. Both are reputable, take international cards, and offer DHL trackable shipping to Australia.

At Provantage, the 60CSx is about $569 AUD + shipping. Aussie retailers are selling the 60CS for $890 !

Aussie retailers dont even have any of the 'X' units yet ( http://www.ja-gps.com.au/ or http://www.prospectors.com.au/ )

Edited by sunpazed

I purchased a Legend Cx from the States with an American basemap, and I'm not using the basemap at all. Infact, the Australian basemap in pretty much useless anyway.

These units are great to use with Maps, but the basemap is a joke. Major roads are WAY off.

For good prices, look for http://www.rei.com and http://www.provantage.com. Both are reputable, take international cards, and offer DHL trackable shipping to Australia.

At Provantage, the 60CSx is about $569 AUD + shipping. Aussie retailers are selling the 60CS for $890 !

Aussie retailers dont even have any of the 'X' units yet ( http://www.ja-gps.com.au/ or http://www.prospectors.com.au/ )

Thanks Sunpazed - that info. you supplied certainly helps me with my decision.

... by the way, GME in Australia have advised just recently that the new CSx models will be here about mid to late April. They should be priced at : 60CSx - A$969.00 plus mapping & the 76CSx A$1,069.00 plus mapping ..City navigator A$349.00 or Metroguide A$176.00.

$969 Aussie for the 60CSx converts to about $692 American. At least according to the Google currency converter. Why on earth is there a such a huge markup for you guys? Comp-u-Plus has it for US$394. I doubt it costs Garmin $298 more to install an Australian basemap.

$969 Aussie for the 60CSx converts to about $692 American. At least according to the Google currency converter. Why on earth is there a such a huge markup for you guys? Comp-u-Plus has it for US$394. I doubt it costs Garmin $298 more to install an Australian basemap.

exactly Geonerd - that's what Sunpazed said too (he's here in Australia as well and has already imported a Legend Cx from the States for himself).

In fairness, the Australian Importer (s) have to pay 5% duty on FOB value and 10% GST on (CIF Value + duty) as their bulk Orders will be over A$1,000.00 + Shipping costs and clearance / delivery / handling this end + programming of the Australian Basemap - then there's there "mark-up" for their profit - however as I can import a single Unit into Australia for under that $1000.00 threshold I don't have to pay those taxes and other add-ons. Still, that's my good luck I suppose and I'm not going to throw money away by buying locally at prices A$400.00 above what I can get it for from your side of the world (less of a differential with the shipping cost of course).

I just had to check out the "Warranty Return" set-up and whether the Basemap had any bearing on the Units functionality - those were the 2 issues that I needed to address before I was going to make the decision.

... the "Warranty Return" set-up ...

I also researched this. GME Australia will honour a GPS purchased from O/S as long as you have the proof of purchase, and it was purchased from a reputable retailer with a tax invoice. No auction sites or dodge internet crowds. Their policy should not have changed. Check with them anyway.

... whether the Basemap had any bearing on the Units functionality ...

Not at all... You can clearly see in my post above that the basemap is absolutely useless anyway. I doubt that you'd use the basemaps autoroute function to route a trip from Sydney to Melbourne!! You can see the corresponding detailed Melbourne map that I've loaded into the Unit without a hitch.

I've got two GPS units, an Aussie Foretrex and the US Legend Cx. Both units use WGS84, are set to Meters/Km/Metric, and I haven't been able to decipher any difference in their operation.

Edited by sunpazed
... the "Warranty Return" set-up ...

I also researched this. GME Australia will honour a GPS purchased from O/S as long as you have the proof of purchase, and it was purchased from a reputable retailer with a tax invoice. No auction sites or dodge internet crowds. Their policy should not have changed. Check with them anyway.

Thanks for your follow up and reply Sunpazed.

Actually it looks like they have changed their policy. GME Australia told me on 20 March, 2006 ... for warranty and support you would have to deal with the place of purchase ...

I've been following up with Garmin direct in USA as well and they are still looking into this matter for me. Once I get resolution on the Warranty Return issue I'm going to get a 60CSx.