Mapping Program

ScatStomper

I would like the opinion of geocachers as to what they think of the following mapping program:

http://www.cachefever.com

ScatStomper

THIS IS AN EDIT OF MY FIRST INPUT

This mapping program was tested in Internet Explorer and with Windows XP Pro. It works really great there. What I was looking for was a mapping program in which I could enter the coordinates and name of the cache. And then plot additional waypoints, such as, road intersections, trail heads, etc. And then to be able to save these waypoints in a file that could be brought into EasyGPS and uploaded to my GPS receiver. The added waypoints direct me to the cache in unfamiliar country.

When you click on the above website, look at "Getting Started" first. This will give you an idea of what the program can do. I like its capability to display maps in different formats and to be able to zoom in and out, and to be able to shift the maps across the screen.

Once again, ScatStomper

Edited by ScatStomper

I would like the opinion of geocachers as to what they think of the following mapping program:

ScatStomper

It appears that you only tested it in IE, not Firefox. Try it in Firefox, and you see that despite the attempt to resize the Google map to fit the current window, you still have scroll bars on both the side and bottom.

Clicking the map to add a push-pin doesn't work in the upper left quadrant of the screen in Firefox.

There doesn't appear to be any editing on the coordinates being entered. No check for invalid values (minutes >= 60, for example) or even invalid characters. You have to wait for the system to attempt to create the map, and then when it can't, there's no feedback telling you why it failed.

This use of the Google v2 API to add WMS server maps is nice.

Edited by Prime Suspect

ScatStomper

It appears that you only tested it in IE, not Firefox. Try it in Firefox, and you see that despite the attempt to resize the Google map to fit the current window, you still have scroll bars on both the side and bottom.

Clicking the map to add a push-pin doesn't work in the upper left quadrant of the screen in Firefox.

There doesn't appear to be any editing on the coordinates being entered. No check for invalid values (minutes >= 60, for example) or even invalid characters. You have to wait for the system to attempt to create the map, and then when it can't, there's no feedback telling you why it failed.

This use of the Google v2 API to add WMS server maps is nice.

I only tried it in IE, and Windows XP Pro, but it works great there

ScatStomper

ScatStomper

:blink: (In before lock/ move???)

If you want my feedback I'd tell you it doesn't work, but I run an older system and slow dial-up, so nothing with Google earth works for me.

Uses Google Maps, not Google Earth.

Its a little clunky, but a good "one stop shop" for Google Maps, USGS and Topo. Entering the co-ords by hand is a little...well, feels primitive nowadays. Handing off the co-ords from GSAK or something is probably achievable (Custom URL, for example). The Google Ads in the top kinda annoying, but once clicked once to see what they are I can now avoid them :o The Google Maps zom bar is very unresponsive, doesnt really "drag" anymore. Maybe thats a Firefox thing, otherwise it works totally fine in Firefox for me.

I kinda like.

Maybe this thread will be better in GPS Units and Software, as its more of a mapping utility.

Edited by Maingray

I sometimes run with a large font size. The menu at the top doesn't handle that. It drops down over the text below. Also, you've assumed a maximum pixel width for the window, this is a bad idea, especially for those of use with larger monitors and large fonts. Let me use my width.

I'm also on a Macintosh but I doubt that that is an issue, try your page with large fonts.

In this screen shot I've reduced everything by 50%

f127fb6c-ffcf-4ca6-a65e-f2eaff9917ba.jpg

Hi all,

Cachefever is my site, so I will try and go through everyone's comments and questions. First, thank you for taking the time to look at it. Please do understand that it is what I consider "pre-production" (beta) and has some issues that I'm working on. I do believe it works well if you keep that knowledge in mind. I appreciate any feedback you guys provide. The site is for you, so any feedback you can give me will help me make it better!

Yes, this is an issue with Firefox, and I do believe I have a fix. It will be straightened out on the next version that will be put into place shortly.

There doesn't appear to be any editing on the coordinates being entered. No check for invalid values (minutes >= 60, for example) or even invalid characters. Correct -- this pre-production version has a number of ways that you can break it if you try. I'm working hard on getting updated in place so the entire map system works better. The smaller details will be addressed after some of these changes.

You have to wait for the system to attempt to create the map, and then when it can't, there's no feedback telling you why it failed.

Same reason as above. I am doing some development and early testing of a much better interface for creating the points. It should give you much better feedback.

This use of the Google v2 API to add WMS server maps is nice.This map is still on v1, but I'm working on the v2 version. I kinda started at a bad time where v2 wasn't quite ready and now I'm upgrading stuff onto the new platform.

Its a little clunky, but a good "one stop shop" for Google Maps, USGS and Topo. Entering the co-ords by hand is a little...well, feels primitive nowadays.

Thanks. It is a little clunky (or klugy would by my word of choice ;) ), but I'm working on those issues. As for hand-entering the coordinates, there are a couple of things that you could do -- first, you can link directly to a mapping session with the link on the 'about' page (which could be used from the geocaching.com site if they'd be willing) -- or you can use topographs.com, which has many more features and allows upload of gpx and loc formats and allows for uploading tracks. It also has an automatic route creator and track profile information.

Handing off the co-ords from GSAK or something is probably achievable (Custom URL, for example).

Yep! -- check this: http://www.cachefever.com/cachepoint.php?l...48&name=Liberty

Google Ads in the top kinda annoying, but once clicked once to see what they are I can now avoid them

Yeah, I understand -- but I'd eventually like to see the site cover some of its cost. I put them there so they were easily avoidable and didn't use up valuable mapping space -- but if someone saw something they were interested in, they'd click to help pay for the webspace.

The Google Maps zom bar is very unresponsive, doesnt really "drag" anymore. Maybe thats a Firefox thing, otherwise it works totally fine in Firefox for me.

Yes, it is that way sometimes, it's been worse the last week or so. I'm not sure why but think it's on Google's end and am hoping it resolves as I upgrade to v2 of the api. I really loved the 'zoom' effect that it had -- and will make sure that it has it again before I consider the project finished.

I kinda like.

Thanks. Please feel free to email me with any suggestions.

Direct linking : This link doesnt work.

Please try it again. I clicked on it and it worked fine? Anyone else?

I sometimes run with a large font size. The menu at the top doesn't handle that. It drops down over the text below. Also, you've assumed a maximum pixel width for the window, this is a bad idea, especially for those of use with larger monitors and large fonts. Let me use my width.

These issues will be addressed when the upgrades to the map are finished.

Again, thank you all for your feedback. All support is appreciated!

What I was looking for was a mapping program in which I could enter the coordinates and name of the cache. And then plot additional waypoints, such as, road intersections, trail heads, etc. And then to be able to save these waypoints in a file that could be brought into EasyGPS and uploaded to my GPS receiver. The added waypoints direct me to the cache in unfamiliar country.

So, basically, you were looking for google earth?

Cool, is it anything more than Google Maps with more maps though?

I noticed the .GPX export, but can you import .GPX's? That would make it much more useful...

Hi Alex,

Yes. I have another site called topographs.com, which allows upload of gpx's and even photos (which are automatically geolocated based on timestamp). It also does track plotting and profiling of speed and altitude and automatic route generation based on your track. The maps are also sharable, so you can send a link or post it on a forum.

The address is: http://www.topographs.com - it still uses the Google API version 1, so it doesn't quite as nice of an interface yet, but it should be updated within a week or so.