My New Category Idea Thought

I want to do a moving waymark category but have no idea if this is possible given the tech we currently have but thought I'd see what others thought...

The basic idea is that someone would create a waymark, base it on a theme... perhaps not unlike what a current category is... but instead of going to visit or creating marks in it... someone would visit the most recent coords and essentially "Take it" and move it to another spot.

Example (I'll use my most hated category as a waymark category to appease everyone)

McDonald's Movable Waymark.

Currently resides in say my hometown of Madison, WI. Blue Quasar comes to visit it, logs it and then he is in possession of the mark and moves it to Compass land where he resides. Then Cache_test_dummies picks it up in compass land and moves it to the cache test warehouse... etc etc etc.

The idea is essentially like a super waymark, a category within a category... but would be fun... it is my idea of Waymarking meets travel bugs or geocoins. You could even do stuff like have a geocaching waymark and move it from geocache to geocache...

i think the idea is cool but need help on how to make this one work.... Could we just post in the log and have the waymark owner constantly move the coords? Can we even do that? Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not a fan of the idea for the same reason that I didn't like moving caches. What does the second person to show up at the site do, wander about for an hour and eventually give up? It just doesn't sound fun.

Yeah this is an issue that I'd like to figure out a solution to... I'm not sure how likely it is that people will be going to the same waymark within a few hours of each other (not enough waymarkers... but it is an eventuality I suppose. Like I said I am open to suggestions

I'm not a fan of the idea for the same reason that I didn't like moving caches. What does the second person to show up at the site do, wander about for an hour and eventually give up? It just doesn't sound fun.

OT: A very easily remedied situation with the moving cache. Stick a roll of survey tape in the cache. When the first person to show up finds the cache, they take out the survey tape, and tie a little bit on to a tree/rock/bush/fence post whatever at the coordinates. When Mr. Slowpoke gets there they see the flagging, and go gosh darn and move on...

OT: A very easily remedied situation with the moving cache. Stick a roll of survey tape in the cache. When the first person to show up finds the cache, they take out the survey tape, and tie a little bit on to a tree/rock/bush/fence post whatever at the coordinates. When Mr. Slowpoke gets there they see the flagging, and go gosh darn and move on...

Nice idea ibycus...

Jeremy, wasn't likely going to start this category any time soon, was just trying to figure out a way under the current tech. I think it could be done but would take a lot of work right now and am seeing what we could do to marginalize it. (We do have the ability to allow visitors to provide additional waypoints as it stands....) So my question then is... can we still talk about it even if there will be no category for a few months? (I would assume we'd still need to create rules and names and such that would need to get ironed out by the community).

Also... a more direct idea I had today which is linked was railroad cars... essentially the idea I had was to waymark em and then track them with the coord feature in the visit log.... so for instance I could make a waymark for car WM32309A and someone else who logs it sees it in a different place could mark the visit of it...

As a feature request that would be related to both of these ideas of mine... could we get a "Don't list coords in search?" or something in the future? I agree it would suck if you were not understanding the rules of these categories and seeing a certain thing in your "waymarks near you" list and trying to go visit it... These categories would be very dependent on people actually reading the rules before they started seeking them out...

Not really my idea as far as the flagging goes. Its what they do around here with our two grandfathered moving caches. Sometimes they get moved 3 times in the same day, so we certainly need a way to keep track of if its there or not.

Still, never knew that and is good to see a productive idea being added to the thread=P