Garmin Etrex

I just received my Gramin Etrex and want to make sure I'm not missing the right way to use it! I am still waiting on a PC Cable so am having to use it manually right now. I was able to find my first cache but am hoping there is an easier way! I haven't figured out a way to enter coordinates without the PC Cable and am wondering if there is a way to do it that I am missing. Also, I haven't found a way to tell what my coordinates are without choosing to mark a waypoint. Is there a screen that will show my coordinates without having to keep going in and out of marking a waypoint?

Thanks so very much!

Just push down on the Click Stick and it will create a waypoint for your present location.

Then, using the Click Stick, move it up to navigate to the coordinates section.

Push down on the click stick and you will get a little "keyboard." Edit those coordinates to the ones you see on the cache page.

Welcome to the addiction! :D

So from what I can see you know how to mark a waypoint. IF you mark a waypoint and then use the toggle stick to highlight the coordinates of the waypoint and enter by pressing the toggle, you can edit the coordinates.

Second, your current coordinates should be shown on the satilite screen at the bottom.

Edited by Polar B's

To manually enter waypoints:

Use the upper right button to page thru until you find the page marked "Menu". The first one on that page should be "Mark". Click the lower left button and "Mark Waypoint" page will appear wtih a little guy holding a flag. Use either of the 2 upper left buttons to page down to the coordinates on the bottom of that page and then click the lower left button one time. That will pull up a screen where you can enter the coords you want. Using the middle left button will take you to each number in the coords. When you get to a number you need to change then click the lower left button. That will pull up a small box in the middle of the screen. Using the 2 upper left buttons move thru until the number you need is highlighted. Once your number is highlighted then click the lower left button which will move you to the next number in the coords. Continue that until you have your coords entered that you want. When you are finished changing the coords then using either of the 2 upper left buttons click down until "OK" is highlighted. Click the lower left button and that will take you back to the little guy holding the flag. The coords at the bottom of the page will be highlighted. If those coords are correct then using either of the 2 upper left buttons click until "OK" is highlighted. Click the lower left button and the new waypoint is entered.

If you want to find your waypoint you just entered then click the upper right button until you return to the "Menu" page. Using either of the 2 upper left buttons page down until "Waypoints" is highlighted. Click the lower left button. That will take you to the "Waypoints" screen. You will need to remember what you called that waypoint that you entered. If you didn't name it then it will be a sequential number. The left side of that screen has the waypoints broken down into sections "0-9"; "A-D"; E-H"; etc. One of those should be highlighted in that column. Using the 2 upper left buttons click down until you reach the section where your waypoint is located. So if you named your waypoint "Home", click down until you highlight the "E-H" and then click the lower left button. That will highlight the right side of the column where "Home" should be listed. Highlight "Home" and click the lower left button. That will take you to the "Review Waypoint" page. There you can delete, go to the map, GOTO, and project. At the bottom will be the coordinates you entered. If you want to GOTO, then highlight and using the bottom left click once. That will then have that waypoint as your GOTO.

I hope the above are clear enough. It's easier to do than explain. If you need more info just ask away.

Thank you sooo much everyone! I was able to change the coordinates to what I wanted! Still can't wait until I receive my pc cable, but at least I know how to use it without it now!!

Knowing how to enter waypoints manually will be a blessing when you start do multis - where you will need to enter coordinates in the field.

I would also learn how to switch units (feet, meters, miles, nautical miles, true/magnetic north), and also how to do a projected waypoint (mark current position and create a new waypoint x feet away, at y degress True). All of this may come in handy one day, and you want to know how to do it before you have to.

Just my 2cents.

Also, I haven't found a way to tell what my coordinates are without choosing to mark a waypoint. Is there a screen that will show my coordinates without having to keep going in and out of marking a waypoint?

Thanks so very much!

If you are still trying to figure this out click the right top button until you come to the compass screen, then toggle up or down with top two buttons on left side of unit until you come to the location box at the bottom of the screen. :rolleyes:

Use the upper right button to page thru until you find the page marked "Menu". The first one on that page should be "Mark". Click the lower left button and "Mark Waypoint" page will appear wtih a little guy holding a flag. Use either of the 2 upper left buttons to page down to the coordinates on the bottom of that page and then click the lower left button one time. That will pull up a screen where you can enter the coords you want. Using the middle left button will take you to each number in the coords. When you get to a number you need to change then click the lower left button. That will pull up a small box in the middle of the screen. Using the 2 upper left buttons move thru until the number you need is highlighted. Once your number is highlighted then click the lower left button which will move you to the next number in the coords. Continue that until you have your coords entered that you want. When you are finished changing the coords then using either of the 2 upper left buttons click down until "OK" is highlighted. Click the lower left button and that will take you back to the little guy holding the flag. The coords at the bottom of the page will be highlighted. If those coords are correct then using either of the 2 upper left buttons click until "OK" is highlighted. Click the lower left button and the new waypoint is entered.

If you want to find your waypoint you just entered then click the upper right button until you return to the "Menu" page. Using either of the 2 upper left buttons page down until "Waypoints" is highlighted. Click the lower left button. That will take you to the "Waypoints" screen. You will need to remember what you called that waypoint that you entered. If you didn't name it then it will be a sequential number. The left side of that screen has the waypoints broken down into sections "0-9"; "A-D"; E-H"; etc. One of those should be highlighted in that column. Using the 2 upper left buttons click down until you reach the section where your waypoint is located. So if you named your waypoint "Home", click down until you highlight the "E-H" and then click the lower left button. That will highlight the right side of the column where "Home" should be listed. Highlight "Home" and click the lower left button. That will take you to the "Review Waypoint" page. There you can delete, go to the map, GOTO, and project. At the bottom will be the coordinates you entered. If you want to GOTO, then highlight and using the bottom left click once. That will then have that waypoint as your GOTO.

I hope the above are clear enough. It's easier to do than explain. If you need more info just ask away.

Instead of numbers I only get the option of chinging 2 letters & 5 numbers on one line

and three letters & 5 numbers on the next!

So how do I enter say N 53 17.956 & W 3 45.978?

Instead of numbers I only get the option of changing 2 letters & 5 numbers on one line

Instead of numbers I only get the option of changing 2 letters & 5 numbers on one line

Just realised what I had done wrong, I had messed with the settings.

Went back to original settings in 'set up' and now it all makes sense!

Trust me to have to mess with everything new...... :D

if using the yellow one you can use a program like easygps and create a pocket query (if you are a premium member) set it to the nearest 495 caches (leaving 5 free spaces for parking and any other points you want to mark) then use easygps to install them onto the yellow device. if after each one you find you delete that one you will slowly see the map clear as you clear caches, mine shows a nice couple of miles of nothing around me, then it gets thicker and thicker out to a 15 mile radius.

any problems then feel free to post up here.