Garmin Gpsmap 60csx Vs. Magellan Explorist 500

Reyna Y

I am buying my first GPS and am debating between the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and Magellan explorist 500. I want the Garmin, but I am quite worried by the problems I have been reading about. I like the technology and potential that exists with the Garmin, but it is more money and the complaints seem to be rampant. I am uncertain as to what to do. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful. :ph34r:

Also, what is the best mapping software for the GPS's. Thank you.

Complaints seem to be rampant? Are you talking about the explorist or 60csx? I have read though quite a few of the posts about the 60x series and I think the complaints are quite minor. Search this forum on the explorist and you will find that there are a fair number of complaints about it. And from what you read here the customer support from Garmin is much better than Magellan.

I have a explorist 400, but I'm considering switching to a 60cx for the better reception and the color screen.

Edited by paulamur

I have a explorist 400, but I'm considering switching to a 60cx for the better reception and the color screen.

I doubt if you'll get much if any better reception with the 60cx

I've been a diehard Magellan user for almost 5 years, that said my next gps will possibly a garmin or another Lowrance. Magellans Customer support has really gone down hill in the last couple of years,although I've been lucky and haven't had any problems with my Magellan gold. I've had my exp for about 9 months, I sent a email request last monday for repair on my 500 and still haven't heard anything from Magellan.So now I'm going to do the phone wait that I've heard so much about. If you get a good one they're great,but if you have any problems and need warranty help,good luck

These are both excellent units. The reception is similar as shown by this: 60cx vs. 500

I have had my 500 for a year now and it works very well. It functions flawlessly. Once on, it gets a good signal lock and never lets go.

The features that are unique to the 400,500,600, XL: LiIion battery charges similar to your phone and PDA. I can charge it from AC wall, car, USB on PC. Put it in the craddle (Swievel Bracket) and forget it. It charges automatically and stops. The screen will show you that it is fully charged. No more pulling batteries out, puttting them in a charger, pullling them out of the charger and putting them back in the GPSr. Imagine doing that withyour PDA and phone (which I use and charge every day.)

The file system is the most advanced of any GPSr, with Internal memory and SD card memory for maps and files of Tracks, waypoints, geocache points, and routes. Connected to a USB port it looks like a drive. Quick loading of files of geocaches, waypoints connected to USB. Unconnected, stand alone, you can move/copy/rename individual points to other files, Move/copy/rename files to other folders, move/copy/rename folders to other folders/other drive, SD or internal.

Yes, there are improvements I would like to see to the firmware. But when I turn it on, I know it will work, and get great reception, and be very accurate in position.

These are both excellent units. The reception is similar as shown by this: 60cx vs. 500

I have had my 500 for a year now and it works very well. It functions flawlessly. Once on, it gets a good signal lock and never lets go.

I wish I could say the same about my 400. I had waas yesterday, and it would lose the signal when trees got too tall beside the road. It was a nearly cloudless day, and while in tree cover it wasn't extreme, as say some of the areas on the oregon coast.

Not to draw too fine a point on it, but shouldnt the comparison be a 60CSx and a 600 (or a 60Cx and a 500)? I was under the impression that the 600 had an electronic compass (like the CS) and the 500 did not (like the C). I could be wrong. I believe Robert Lipe's test compares the 60CSx to the 600.

Your understanding is correct, Sputnik 57. That's why the title is "...comparison of Garmin 60CSX and Magellan Explorist 600 reception". :-)

Since my test was focusing on reception, the sensor kit didn't really figure in. Since the receiver circuits are the same in each family of {400,500,600}, {60C,60cs, 76c, 76cs} and {60cx,60csx,76cx,76csx} I would expect the same punchline when comparing one from each of those sets.

I want the Garmin, but I am quite worried by the problems I have been reading about. I like the technology and potential that exists with the Garmin, but it is more money and the complaints seem to be rampant.

I've been reading these forums for some time because I'm interested in the 60CSX. I wouldn't say that I've seen rampant complaints about the unit. In fact I 've found far more people praising the units. And half of what are "complaints" are about the look of the icons and lack of an alarm clock. Non issues in my mind.

Depends on your intended use. If you are a hiker, backpacker, hunter, etc... you will find topo maps to be useful. If you're an urban or surburban cacher or want your unit to guide you around town with autorouting, the road mapping software is best. Garmin's City Select and City Navigator are the best of that bunch. Magellan's offering in this dept isn't quite up the the Garmin autorouting software.

After reading multiple reviews of the Garmin 60 series and the Magellan explorist series I decided on the Garmin and have not regretted it one bit. I used to have a Megellan Sport trac Pro with topo software and now have the garmin Mapsouce Topo. I found Magellans software to be useless in my area. Its topography was absolutely incorrect and had no trails (the roadways it showed were dead-on though and gave enough detail to use for street navigation). Mapsources software for Garmin is very accurate and shows every minor trail in the area (most roadways aren't always labled but they are all there).