How Broken Is Too Broken

One of my Garmin 60CS units fell out of my car after sliding across the dashboard and out the window while turning.

It is pretty well smashed up:

The screen is smashed and the top part with the antenna and power button has separated from the rest of the case.

I suspect it is a total loss, but am curious if Garmin has repaired other smashed units?

One of my Garmin 60CS units fell out of my car after sliding across the dashboard and out the window while turning.

It is pretty well smashed up:

The screen is smashed and the top part with the antenna and power button has separated from the rest of the case.

I suspect it is a total loss, but am curious if Garmin has repaired other smashed units?

I doubt garmin will repair your unit.

Probably just send you a new one.

You're not going to believe this. I had a one year old Garmin 60c. The lettering was starting to wear off the ENTER key, probably from some abuse I gave it rubbing against something. Other than that, the unit worked flawlessly. I called Garmin last week, and they gave me an RMA number to return it for repair. I sent it to Garmin second day DHL on Monday (March 6). Today (March 10) I received a BRAND NEW 60c, in the original package, with all accessories.

Maybe you can send them the whole bag of parts and tell them how it happened.

Was it on a beanbag mount?

I never had luck with a beanbag mount, always sliding around on the Dashboard, despite being clean, and no oil on the dashboard.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I doubt if they would even try to repair it, but AFAIK, their flat-rate repair policy applies as long as you can send them anything that's recognizable as having once been one of their GPS models, even if it was run over by a steam-roller.

I expect they'd send you either a new or factory remanufactured unit for the flat-rate repair price listed on their website.

I'll call on Monday and see what they say. It certainly doesn't look repairable by any means, but it would be incredibly nice if they would replace it iwth a reman unit for their flat rate repair charge.

Yes, it was in the bean bag mount. Usually I have it in a more secure suction cup mount but was driving a different vehicle and grabbed the bean bag for simplicity.

Word to the wise: don't take sharp turns with the windows open when using the bean bag!

I'll call on Monday and see what they say. It certainly doesn't look repairable by any means, but it would be incredibly nice if they would replace it iwth a reman unit for their flat rate repair charge.

Yes, it was in the bean bag mount. Usually I have it in a more secure suction cup mount but was driving a different vehicle and grabbed the bean bag for simplicity.

Word to the wise: don't take sharp turns with the windows open when using the bean bag!

Oh they'll replace it all right. And there won't be no stinking 'repair charge', flat rate or otherwise. That seems to be the norm for Garmin. :lol::):lol:

Edited by Team Cotati