No Serial Ports

Uh-oh! My new home computer has no serial ports, it's USB only.

Is there a serial port to USB converter cable that I can use to connect my Magellan Sportrak to my PC?

I know what you all are thinking. Why doesn't he just buy a new GPS? Like one with a USB connection?

Well until I make enough money from recycling aluminum cans and donating bodily fluids :laughing: I'm stuck with old reliable Sportrak.

Thanks! :laughing:

I have a Sportrak too, but my portable still has a serial port. :laughing:

This weekend, a friend tried to connect his Sportrak to his portable, that has only usb ports (no serial).

First, he bought a serial to usb adapter, which you can buy in almost every place. Then, he needed to upgrade his Sportrak to the lastest firmware (i made it on my portable).

He installed the necessary drivers for the usb->serial adapter in his laptop, rebooted, and everything went OK. :laughing:

Good luck!

Uh-oh! My new home computer has no serial ports, it's USB only.

Is there a serial port to USB converter cable that I can use to connect my Magellan Sportrak to my PC?

I know what you all are thinking. Why doesn't he just buy a new GPS? Like one with a USB connection?

Well until I make enough money from recycling aluminum cans and donating bodily fluids :laughing: I'm stuck with old reliable Sportrak.

Thanks! :laughing:

No need to sacrifice "old reliable" for a new USB model...

Yes! ..You are going to need a USB/Serial adapter if GPS is only a serial connection....

They cost anyplace for $0.99 on ebay to $50 at local electronics supply....

I got a generic one from a electronics supply for under $15 and it works excellent....

You also may want to look at this thread....

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=131230

May save you some headaches getting USB/Serial adapter to work with your GPS unit.

Dale

Hi,

I have a SporTrak Map and purchased a Belkin USB-Serial Adapter (F5U109) at Staples (open product). It works perfectly in my desktop or my laptop. Product information can be found here: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...roduct_Id=91042

Try e-bay for a deal: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&satitle=F5U109

Just follow the adapter installation process and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck

I have a no name USB to serial adapter for my laptop. While it wont work with my data cable for my PRO-95 scanner, it works fine for the Magellan GPS cable.

Just make sure that when you install the adapter, go in and change the port that it assigns. The USB-Serial adapters can go into COM port ranges that most software doesnt use. Setting it to the usual COM 1-4 will let it work... (I use my cable for Mapsend, Netstumbler, Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005/2006.)