Loading Topo Usa

Best source is this post.

This link takes you to the description of how to do it with registry hacks. If you scroll up in the same thread you will see few comments on just copying all the CD's to your hard drive and installing from there. This is by far the easiest way to do it. I have an e-mail from Garmin support describing how to do this if there is interest.

This link takes you to the description of how to do it with registry hacks. If you scroll up in the same thread you will see few comments on just copying all the CD's to your hard drive and installing from there. This is by far the easiest way to do it. I have an e-mail from Garmin support describing how to do this if there is interest.

Thanks to you both for the thread. 'TheFiveT's' I would certainly like to have a copy of that email from Garmin.

You can send it to jgrazioli@att.com and thanks again

Sorry, I was away for a few days. here is the relevant text:

In regards to installing US Topo to your hard drive, there are steps below to help you with that:

1) Since you have the US Topo already installed you will have to remove the current installation. To do this, follow the below steps:

2) Click on your Windows Start Button

3) On the right hand side, click on the Control Panel icon - if you are running Windows 98, go to the Settings option and then click on the Control Panel

4) When this window comes up, locate the Add/Remove Programs option and click on it

5) When the Add/Remove Program window comes up, locate the item that states "MapSource - US Topo" - click on this and remove this program

6) Once the Topo software has been removed, then you can close out of all of the windows and go back to your Windows Desktop.

Copying files from the CD-Rom to the Hard Drive:

1) Click on your Windows Start button

2) On the right hand side, click on the My Computer icon, if you are running Windows 98, skip step 1 and double click the My Computer icon on your Desktop

3) When this window come up, double click on your Local Disk (C:)

4) When this comes up, locate a folder that is labeled Garmin, double click on this folder

5) Along the top of this window, in the upper left hand corner you should have a File pull down menu, click on this and select the New option and then choose Folder. This should create a "New Folder" item - change the name from "New Folder" to "US Topo".

6) Once you have this new folder created close this window down

7) Place Disc 1, the US West CD, in to your CD-Rom drive - if it autoruns and tries to install the software, close out of the installation if it comes up

8) Click on to the Windows Start button again, click on the My Computer icon on the right hand side. This time, locate your CD-Rom drive, right click on the CD-Rom drive and choose the Explore option

9) When this window comes up, along the top you should have an Edit pull down menu, click on this and choose the "Select All" option, once you have selected that then click back on to the Edit pull down menu again and then choose the "Copy" option

10) Click back on to your Start button again and click on the My Computer icon, then double click on the Local Disk (C:) option, then double click on the Garmin folder and then double click again on the "US Topo" folder.

11) Along the top, click on the Edit pull down menu, choose the "Paste"

option - this should copy the files from your CD-Rom to your hard drive

12) Repeat steps 7 through 11 for the other 2 CDs.

13) Once the above steps have been completed you should be read to install the software from your hard drive.

To Install US Topo from the Hard Drive, follow the below steps:

1) Close out of all of the windows

2) Click on your Windows Start button

3) Click on the My Computer icon on the right hand side

4) Double click on your Local Disk (C:) item

5) Double click on the Garmin folder

6) Double click on the "US Topo" folder

7) Locate the Setup.exe file - double click on this and it should launch the setup program to install the US Topo software. Walk through the installation wizard and you should be all finished and ready to go.

Hope this helps. Worked great for me. You end up with the mapsource and setup install files left over on your HD, but it's not much and you can weed them out if you like after install.

Sorry. I already had Roads and Recreation installed. But when I tried to install the Topo only the West would show. When I tried the East the program would crash. So I used the Roads and Recreation CD and did the fix option.

Garmin has a patch to fix the crash when viewing the East region in MapSource. On this page there's a box on the right side titled "Download MapSource United States TOPO Basemap Patch". Grab that - it fixed the problem for me.