Historical Cache Site Listing Icon

Yes, I enjoy both finding and hiding historic caches. Yes, it would be nice if you could sort for these based on attributes. Unfortunately though, I (and I'm sure others) have requested such attributes added for things like historic, educational, urban, wooded, etc., and it seems to always fall on deaf ears. I think adding these things are considered a fairly low priority or of little interest to the majority of cachers.

Edited by medoug

I would like that a lot. I try to look for the historical or natural settings. That means spending a lot of time sorting through cache pages to find ones that are interesting to me. Being able to search for those then decide the best ones from the search would save a lot of time.

I think they mean that they want a cache attribute to indicate that a cache is near an historic site. I think it's a great idea. Its something I asked for some time ago, but I guess there was no interest.

I like that idea, Brian. When traveling those would be the type of sites I'd like to find. Being able to filter on an attribute like that would be great.

There are Waymarking categories built around scenic views, mountain summits, etc., yet since the beginning of cache attributes, there has been a cache attribute for scenic view.

I can't distinguish between "scenic view" and "historic site." Neither piece of information is required/helpful to finding the cache, but both are good to know when trying to sift through the listings to find interesting caches.

While the thought of seeking a cache at an historic site makes my loins quiver, there must be a limit as to how finely we can chop the chives before we achieve an ambiguous mush.

I would leave it to the owner to include that information in the description (yes, I read them), to entice me into seeking their cache.

There are Waymarking categories built around scenic views, mountain summits, etc., yet since the beginning of cache attributes, there has been a cache attribute for scenic view.

I can't distinguish between "scenic view" and "historic site." Neither piece of information is required/helpful to finding the cache, but both are good to know when trying to sift through the listings to find interesting caches.

I agree. There should be a "Wow" attribute you can put on your cache if it takes you to a place that has significant scenic, historic, or other interest that would make it different than your everyday ordinary cache. Since the voulunteer reviewers don't seem to worry too much about the use of attributes (other than questioning caches that use the wheelchair accessible attribute that are greater than terrain 1) there won't be any arguments about whether someone used this attribute for a non-wow cache location. :laughing:

My point, which I guess no one got, is that it would be far better to integrate Waymarks into this, rather than just having a generic icon which would be of little meaning (there's some unknown thing or place that may or may not be of interest to you, at some unknown distance from this cache).

Image being able to run a query that looks for caches that are within 2 miles of celebrity grave sites, or 5 miles from a Civil War battleground. Or looking at a cache page, and in the same manner as it now lists referencing bookmarks, it also lists the nearby posted waymark entries.

The advantages to this, over a simple, generic attribute are huge. It's automatic, if the waymark already exists. And it's focused, as opposed to a one-icon-fits-all approach.

My point, which I guess no one got, is that it would be far better to integrate Waymarks into this, rather than just having a generic icon which would be of little meaning (there's some unknown thing or place that may or may not be of interest to you, at some unknown distance from this cache).

Image being able to run a query that looks for caches that are within 2 miles of celebrity grave sites, or 5 miles from a Civil War battleground. Or looking at a cache page, and in the same manner as it now lists referencing bookmarks, it also lists the nearby posted waymark entries.

The advantages to this, over a simple, generic attribute are huge. It's automatic, if the waymark already exists. And it's focused, as opposed to a one-icon-fits-all approach.

Yes, it would be nice to integrate Pocket Queries to include Waymarks, for those who enjoy both that and Geocaching.

I like the OP's idea. While we wait for a more comprehensive integration of WM to GC, it will serve its purpose. The attribute will alert people looking for historic things, and might compel them to click on "all nearby waymarks..." links on cache pages.

I put this idea on another thread and was suggested to come here.

I really enjoy virtuals and was disappointed when they were discontinued on gc.com, I have noticed though that you can still create some what of a virtual that has a log book, using the offset multicache. Which in a sense would be fine, but it would be viewed as a multi-cache symbol. And those of us looking for a virtual type of cache would miss out on a lot of great history. What would be great is if gc.com would create a multi-ghost icon (virtual symbol) so that those that enjoy virtuals can still enjoy them in a gc.com format with log book and all. With this kind of icon would be much easier to sort though.