We Found This Fancy Disk!

We did a search using the coordinates (36° 06.793' & 115° 10.355') And found nothing on this fancy disk. It appears as though the Disk ID is PLS4541 and it is #055 in the series. How do we know it is a series? There was another one across the drive with the #054 on it.

We don't know how many there are, but someone may want to consider listing them over there at WM.

8b352ee7-9b70-43a1-8761-0f508e7a8c2d.jpg

889b0981-743a-4249-a279-f0a5aad3f7c9.jpg

Enjoy,

John & Shirley

The PLS number is not a disk ID, but a Professional Land Surveyor (PLS) license number. It is the identification number of the surveyor who set the mark. (Some States use RLS for Registered Land Surveyor, or simply LS for Land Surveyor.) PLS4541 is a Mr. Frederick W. Orban, of Las Vegas. He has been licensed since 1977 and his license is current through 2007. (This is public information that can be found through the Nevada State Board of Engineers and Land Surveyors. Their license holders are listed here.) As stated on the disk, it is a right-of-way monument for Las Vegas Boulevard. The number 055 may or may not be a series number, but it certainly is for mark identification purposes. Most roadways and highways have some sort of right-of-way monumentation, either on the right-of-way lines or along the centerlines (and sometimes both). In this case, the right-of-way line would most likely be defined by the small divot in the middle of the cap, at the center of the 'V' in Vegas.

It's easy to see that the City of Las Vegas spent a bit on their street monumentation; they have the money, so why not. Most areas and cities, use much less extravagant methods of monumentation. Additional information about this mark, and the others, could be found by contacting the Clark County Department of Public Works (which the County Surveyor is a part of) and you can find more information about surveying in Nevada on the Nevada Association of Land Surveyors website.

- Kewaneh

Oh good! I have been wondering if someone would go find some of those. I have checked back on Waymarking every once in a while to see if anyone had logged any.

I noticed last time we were there in Vegas, that most people are Not looking where they are walking at all. I wonder why? :blink:

In front of MGM there are some rather big multi-colored marble stars in the sidewalk for people I had never heard of...people were walking right on top of those and never even knew they were there. Matter of fact people were almost walking right into me as I was trying to look at them. Amazing.

Shirley~

Sorry 'bout that double tap above.

Here are my results from my trip to Vegas.

I found 19 established Waymarks, 3 virtual Geocaches.

I did not find any BM's on the GC database or NGS Clark County download. (so no new poker hands :laughing: )

As far as these special LV Markers, I found 16 of them, 1 set of RM's, 2 NV DOT markers, 1 Clark County Marker, and 1 Clark County rivet/square that I can't quite figure out yet.

I've submitted all but the last to Waymarking, excepting the last.

The highest # I found was 058, so I've got at least 42 more to find as another excuse to return to Lost Wages.

I did find the #021 previously waymarked, but did not find #054 and #055 like 2oldfarts (the rockhounders) did. I didn't have those coordinates with me and didn't stumble across them.

That's how I found all but #021, looking down while walking and not up like a tourist.

All of these were found in about a mile and a half stretch of Las Vegas Blvd.

So, here we go, in numerical order. (All waymarked by me unless noted)

These took all night to post and not all are approved yet, might have to wait until a reviewer wakes up.

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #001

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #012

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #013

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #014

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #018

Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #21 Posted by Vegas Gamblers

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #022 Only about 8-12 feet from #021

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #023

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #024 Only about 12 feet from #023

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #025

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #031

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #032

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #046

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #047 Reference Markers I found a couple of RM's for #047; but not #047 itself - I think; see the next one.

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #0?? I couldn't number this one, because someone built a wall on top of it! Odds put it probably having a number in the 40's.

2c9c783a-42d4-440c-808e-0625ca862b77.jpg

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #056

Las Vegas Blvd Right of Way Las Vegas Strip Benchmark #058

That's it for the specials, here's the others

NV Dept. of Trans. Control Monument #413221H posted by TexasGreg. His coordinates seem to be WAY off, and his location slightly off.

NV DOT Control Monument 413220H 1998 Monumented by NV DOT

Las Vegas Blvd CP NO 108 Monumented by Clark County.

Well, that's it for one night of posting.