Suggested Fix For The Pocket Lint Controversy

Trying to be constructive, I came up with an idea that seems to me to be the answer to the Pocket cache Controversy.

A great way to do Pocket caches is to add it as a feature to track the Geo-Cachers that you meet. Instead of “I Found” it would be “I Met”

Then they could seperate Events and Pocket Caches off on a seperate tab called "Meets & Greets" or something. Then archived caches would be left alone and new Pocket caches could be created just for events.

Then the purest could attend a event every now ond then and not cheapen thier find count with attends and meets and the rest can carry on having fun.

Trying to be constructive, I came up with an idea that seems to me to be the answer to the Pocket cache Controversy.

A great way to do Pocket caches is to add it as a feature to track the Geo-Cachers that you meet. Instead of “I Found” it would be “I Met”

Then they could seperate Events and Pocket Caches off on a seperate tab called "Meets & Greets" or something. Then archived caches would be left alone and new Pocket caches could be created just for events.

Then the purest could attend a event every now ond then and not cheapen thier find count with attends and meets and the rest can carry on having fun.

My good buddy and fellow denizen of Snooganville...... That would validate the practice that so many typing fingers wish to set themselves ABOVE. Prepare for the feeding frenzy. :laughing:

Just put a Travel Bug tag on a chain around your neck and use that for cachers to claim a find on...

My personal feeling on 'Pocket Caches' is they are rather like autograph collections of those who attended the Event. Did I sign a couple of PCs while at GW4? Sure I did, because I won't be rude to those cachers who came up and asked. Will I add them to my 'finds'? No, because my 'caching ethics' wouldn't allow me to feel right about claiming a find on them.

They were fun to do, and I got to meet and chat with several cachers because of it. So there WAS some good that came of them.

My good buddy and fellow denizen of Snooganville...... That would validate the practice that so many typing fingers wish to set themselves ABOVE. Prepare for the feeding frenzy. :laughing:

While we're at it, you should get a mod to rename it the Pocket Lint/Snot Rag Controversy to give it its FULL NEGATIVITY.

I tell ya. Every time I hear that snotty remark mentioned (pun intended) I see SBk & Q's smiling faces and I just get madder'n heck. Wayyyy to win friends an influence people there.... our most esteemed Mayor of Geocaching Town. <_<

Just put a Travel Bug tag on a chain around your neck and use that for cachers to claim a find on...

My personal feeling on 'Pocket Caches' is they are rather like autograph collections of those who attended the Event. Did I sign a couple of PCs while at GW4? Sure I did, because I won't be rude to those cachers who came up and asked. Will I add them to my 'finds'? No, because my 'caching ethics' wouldn't allow me to feel right about claiming a find on them.

They were fun to do, and I got to meet and chat with several cachers because of it. So there WAS some good that came of them.

Ethics has nothing to do with it for me. I signed 'em all too with no intention of logging them save ONE. I got my "license to chill" card just minutes before I proposed to The Snoogstress. I was in fact, still wearing the coconut bra and Hawaiian lei and had the card in my pocket when I proposed. I would have certainly considered that log a special find except for this:

LAME-O-RAMA!!!!!!!!! <_<:ph34r::huh::(:laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

Ethics has nothing to do with it for me. I signed 'em all too with no intention of logging them save ONE. I got my "license to chill" card just minutes before I proposed to The Snoogstress. I was in fact, still wearing the coconut bra and Hawaiian lei and had the card in my pocket when I proposed. I would have certainly considered that log a special find except for this:

Wow, 'by order of Groundspeak', eh? I don't know if I should stand up and salute at that one...

Wow, 'by order of Groundspeak', eh? I don't know if I should stand up and salute at that one...

Yea, next it will be "TELL ME WHERE THE REBEL BASE IS OR WE WILL DESTROY YOUR PLANET!" [/bREATHING]

I think this is an excellent idea and should be thoroughly considered...

you would just have another section called "Geocacher's Met..." or whatever like Roland said...

I know I've run into a cacher several times and had a coversation and would love to keep a running total on how many and who I met in person...

This would not affect find count and would be pretty cool to have...

Digi

Ohhhhhhhhhh, but the LAM-O-RAMA is just ramping up!!!!

This poor piller of the geocaching community didn't even GO to GW4 and his caches are getting archived.

There's dozens more like this!

Thanks GEOCACHING.COM for hurting a harmless old man who wants nothing but to bring fun to his community. How bout a friggin' WARNING BEFORE gettin' all heavy handed. Way to do business....... :laughing:

This is a good idea and a good way to foster the social aspect.

In letterboxing this idea is called "eXchanged" where you exchange personal stamp impressions in each other's journal. That's the X in the FPX.

I thought about this for a while, but I no longer make many suggestions. I pick my battles. I figure it would be easy to implement. Put a button on someone's profile that says "I meet this person." Click the link and it sends off a messages to the profile owner which says, "This person says he or she meet you. Is this true? Y/N" Sort of like a challenge and response thing.

Then TPTB could set up an automated "degrees or separation" map to show how far away you are from any other person. A nice little social / community building tool.

In letterboxing this idea is called "eXchanged" where you exchange personal stamp impressions in each other's journal. That's the X in the FPX.

I thought about this for a while, but I no longer make many suggestions. I pick my battles. I figure it would be easy to implement. Put a button on someone's profile that says "I meet this person." Click the link and it sends off a messages to the profile owner which says, "This person says he or she meet you. Is this true? Y/N" Sort of like a challenge and response thing.

Then TPTB could set up an automated "degrees or separation" map to show how far away you are from any other person. A nice little social / community building tool.

Now see.... Ya went and got all agreeable when I was lookin' for a scrap and lord knows you've been the ONLY one I've actually enjoyed scrapping with for quite some time. :ph34r:

C'monnnnn... Say something I can disagree with..... <_<:laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

This poor piller of the geocaching community didn't even GO to GW4 and his caches are getting archived.

Thanks GEOCACHING.COM for hurting a harmless old man who wants nothing but to bring fun to his community. How bout a friggin' WARNING BEFORE gettin' all heavy handed. Way to do business....... :laughing:

The owner has had an entire month to delete those finds. Not sure I see what the problem is.

Thanks GEOCACHING.COM for hurting a harmless old man who wants nothing but to bring fun to his community. How bout a friggin' WARNING BEFORE gettin' all heavy handed. Way to do business....... <_<

The owner has had an entire month to delete those finds. Not sure I see what the problem is.

:ph34r: Did I miss something?

Was an order or some general warning sent out? If so, let's see it. BTW ParkerPlus does all of his computing at the library last I heard. He usually just calls us if he needs something, so I'm bettin' he hasn't checked his email.... :laughing:

Could we be on to something here?

Yes but it would need to get "lost" for a year or two before TPTB rediscover it on their own. *cough* discovered it logs *cough, cough* OT Forum *cough*

Happens where I work all the time... roll eyes emoticon..........

Edited by Snoogans

Yes but it would need to get "lost" for a year or two before TPTB rediscover it on their own. *cough* discovered it logs *cough, cough* OT Forum *cough*

Happens where I work all the time... roll eyes emoticon..........

That's pretty much the *cough* story everywhere *wink wink nudge nudge*. the idea is great.... now ... how do we make it look like Jeremy thought of it???? :laughing:

How about 6 months down the road we get some newbie to create it instead of waiting for Jeremy? We could come up with some icons right now to show where ya met the person; like on a trail, or at an event. The future newbie could write a little script to post these icons in our profile. Maybe he could call the program "the detector" or something.

Many years ago, my mother taught me something very valuable. We were visiting an historic site, and I desparately wanted to get a photo of it. I insisted on a camera, et al. She looked at me and said "take a memory photo of it. That will serve you better through the years." So, I stood there and very deliberately took mental snapshots.

I can still see the place clearly today.

Through the years, I have been rather hands-off with cameras. If for my own memory, I do not bother. Another stoy is on a Denali trip, with all the tourists and their fancy telephoto lenses snapping away at the wildlife. With no camera, I just enjoyed the trip.

Most of those folks that day never really saw any wildlife until they got their film developed.

Only recently, have I really endeavored to take a lot of photos of much of anything. Even then, they are relatively few in number. One reason is that after having a photo taken and I have left home, my daughter has been sleeping with it. Golly, that is pretty important, so I get a bunch of photos taken so she can get on the computer and see some more. Family photos are important, too, since you just never know.

At any rate. A solution.

1) Cache owners maintain their caches within the guidelines.

2) Sign the log book.

3) There are no rules for signing the online log, but "false" logs are supposed to be cleaned up. Is a "find" on somehting you never visited really a find? Well, that ties to a "relativity" discussion on another thread. So, some courtesy in not asking a cache owner to apply a definition on your behalf may be the answer. So, this #3 is : Log caches only withint the guidelines, and log them once as a find (ok, there may be small exceptions out there for one or two extras).

4) Put a list on your profile page.

5) Cherish the memories of fellow cachers.

Now, if TPTB want to do more work, having another tab along the lines of a bookmark list where someone could list cachers they have met, it would not hurt (I used to list, as many others, my milestone caches on the profile page, but bookmarking made it so I do not have to do that; a similar list of met cachers would also eliminate this HTML. Nice? Yes. Required? No.).

I don't understand why 'personal travel bug' isn't the wildly accepted solution.

Because it doesn't rack up their find count like pocket caches. Who ever looks at the number of travel bugs someone found? Heck, I don't even have a clue how many I've found, without looking.

The other solution to this problem is in another thread. ONE cache = ONE "found it/attended". If TPTB make the change (I doubt they will) to only allow this, logging all those "caches" becomes rather difficult.

Thanks GEOCACHING.COM for hurting a harmless old man who wants nothing but to bring fun to his community. How bout a friggin' WARNING BEFORE gettin' all heavy handed. Way to do business....... B)

B) Did I miss something?

Was an order or some general warning sent out? If so, let's see it. BTW ParkerPlus does all of his computing at the library last I heard. He usually just calls us if he needs something, so I'm bettin' he hasn't checked his email.... B)

Yes, they're called the guidelines. Once the cache was moved, it no longer met them.

Yea, next it will be "TELL ME WHERE THE REBEL BASE IS OR WE WILL DESTROY YOUR PLANET!" [/bREATHING]

That's funny, as I was just gonna post.......

Stay on Topic

Stay on Topic

Stay on Target

B)

Tell us who has the pocket caches or this cacher gets it in the back of the head!

1bd9269d-a8a4-4c3d-9a98-ff984e142b64.jpg

I don't understand why 'personal travel bug' isn't the wildly accepted solution.

Because it doesn't rack up their find count like pocket caches. Who ever looks at the number of travel bugs someone found? Heck, I don't even have a clue how many I've found, without looking.

So it really is all about the numbers.

For the people logging "pocket caches" in my opinion, at least, yes it is.

Well, you weren't there. In fact, you've never even logged an event. The one pocket cache I planned on logging (though I signed almost all of them) had nothing to do with getting another smiley and quite a few of the folks who WERE there would tell you the same about theirs.

Well, you weren't there. In fact, you've never even logged an event. The one pocket cache I planned on logging (though I signed almost all of them) had nothing to do with getting another smiley and quite a few of the folks who WERE there would tell you the same about theirs.

Then why did people even have the idea they could log a find on it?

Well, you weren't there. In fact, you've never even logged an event.

And yet I've cached with IV_Warrior at plenty of events, in 3-4 different states.

And yet I've cached with IV_Warrior at plenty of events, in 3-4 different states.

You and a few other regulars on these forums have cached with me at events. Funny, checking my profile it says I've logged 16 events, and hosted 2. Of course, I haven't logged any "temp caches" or "pocket caches" while at those events. Heck, I'm still waiting to see if a cache I found at the last event I attended ever gets published, or if I don't get a "smilie" for that one......

Edited by IV_Warrior

You and a few other regulars on these forums have cached with me at events. Funny, checking my profile it says I've logged 16 events, and hosted 2. Of course, I haven't logged any "temp caches" or "pocket caches" while at those events. Heck, I'm still waiting to see if a cache I found at the last event I attended ever gets published, or if I don't get a "smilie" for that one......

Ooops.... My bad. I clicked the wong tab in your profile. Derrr! I retract.

I'll bite.

I like the idea of being able to note that you met certain cachers.

As for pocket caches, I think they can be a cache, just not valid on this site. I would not like them or seek them. Any traditional cache that is moved so others can log it is an insult to everyone who did them right. However that's the owners call and it's their integrity on the line.

...........I thought about this for a while, but I no longer make many suggestions.......

And I can see why.

What I have here is a win win situation for all, yet the lines have been so divided, no one is willing to make a compromise.

Events can have pocket, and temp caches with attend, met, and discovered logs.

With the separation to a different tab like the "trackables" the counts will be stripped from cache finds.

This is a step in the purest camp direction, making the shown find count a true reflection of "real world" finds.

And

Since it seemed apparent to me that people at GW4 were genuinely having a good time doing both the pocket and temp caches, I can't help but think people will still engage in these activities after they become "met" and "discover logs.

And like I have said over and over again and again........

Until they institute some sort of smiley system that differentiates a 1/1 lamp-skirt micro from a 5/5 with ball-busting terrain and super camo, all the fuss over stats and smiley counts is utterly useless.

The only thing they mean is a cacher did something x amount of times.

Haven't been caching long, but when we started we rarely ran into others and now we are starting to more, I do think it would be cool to have a GC way to keep up with who I've met while caching. My current way is my little logbook where I make notes about each day of caching. I'll note in that who I met.

But for a GC way, could you do a mystery cache where the cache is moving and it is clear that in order to get the cache you have to find me? The rules for the cache would say that you could only find me while out caching or attending an event cache and I would post on the cache page which events "me" could be found at?

Or, could we make it part of a bookmark list where you link to profiles of people you have met?

Just rambling, guess I should get some sleep, but had to get a good fix tonight as I am going to be too busy tomorrow to cache!

I've never heard of a pocket cache. What is it anyway?

A pocket cache is the single most unforgivable sin that can be committed by a person with a GPSr. If you even mention the dreaded PC words(s) in your forum posts, your IP number will be tracked by the FBI for life, or until Jeremy tells them to leave you alone, which ever comes first. Forget you ever heard the term! It'll go much easier on you in the re-education camp.

I've never heard of a pocket cache. What is it anyway?

A pocket cache is the single most unforgivable sin that can be committed by a person with a GPSr. If you even mention the dreaded PC words(s) in your forum posts, your IP number will be tracked by the FBI for life, or until Jeremy tells them to leave you alone, which ever comes first. Forget you ever heard the term! It'll go much easier on you in the re-education camp.

OK - I'll bite 2 - a Pocket cache (from my limited understanding) is basically a cache that has been taken from it's original location and carried to an event or other gather and passed around for other cachers to log. I have never seen one (still too new and, as George Thorogood sang, I cache alone) but I have seen TB's and Geocoins used the same way at the one event I did attend.