Game Or Journal?

I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days and I've come to the realization that geocaching is simply not a game. I know I've called it that before and for the most part I believed that.

Geocaching on some level appears to be more of a religion to some as they try to push their way onto others and then get all defensive when you push back. Who really has the right to dictate how I play the game? Especially when the goal in the end is the same which is to find something... But then again is it the find or is it the journey?

But wait there's more.... What is geocaching as it relates to geocaching.com?

Geocaching.com

They have a means to log your finds online, Online Journal?

They have a means to post pictures of your adventures and or finds, Online Photo Album?

There are Travelbugs.. Well I'm not sure where this one falls, Still a Journal of sorts.

Terracaching.com (simply used for comparative purposes)

A point system that awards people for hiding and finding.

A log system much like a journal, but more for the finding portion of the point system.

A rating system which supplements the hiding portion of the point system.

No online photo album, etc..

Which one seems more like a game?

To me.. Terracaching is a game. There is a point system that's sole purpose is to breed competition amongst the players.

Geocaching (as in geocaching.com) is simply an online journal to record your day to day geocaching adventures. A smiley simply represents a find and nothing more. Sure you can say you have X amount more smileys than someone else, but there is no system in place to level the playing field. I mean how is it fair that someone say in Florida or California where micros are rampant that has more finds than someone in the hill country where there are more long hike caches?

Now in the past Groundspeak has said that geocaching.com is not for competition. If they did we would probably see something more along the lines of what terracaching is now today. The funny part to me at least is that these people that are complaining about the rules and guidelines saying it isn't fair to pad numbers with pocket caches, temp caches, or whatever seem to have this idea that geocaching.com is a game/competition where the number of finds is your "score". Who are these people competing against and why are they using such an arbitrary number to base this on? If they are not competing what are they complaining for?

"Geocaching" can be whatever you want it to be. That is something you decide for yourself and by no means should that be pushed onto others.

What I don't understand is geocaching as it relates to geocaching.com. Is geocaching.com a game or journal?

If geocaching.com is a game where does one keep score, surely it can't be with the smiley count?

If geocaching.com is a journal, why not support/implement features that further what's already in place?

I use to think it was a Game, but now after reading all the message recently, more bad than good my stance is clearly on geocaching.com being a journal and nothing more. Now, I didn't really think out this post so I’m interested in seeing what other people think and maybe point out the holes in my line of thought here.

So please no personal attacks, Open civil discussion only please... if for some reason this post angers you.. type what you want to say in notepad or something similar. Wait an hour, re-read your message. If you still feel the same way then post away.

Edited by Geek-Qualizer

I guess it depends on how you define a 'game'. What about a computer game like Sim City? You don't really 'beat' that game, and it doesn't have an end goal, but is it a game? You can set your own goals. Maybe to get the highest population, least pollution, most revenue, etc. So when you compare 2 people's cities, you can't really say one person won simply because they have the most of something.

I'm not sure how good of an analogy that is, but I see geocaching as being whatever you make of it. Personally, I guess I'd call it more of a hobby than a game to me, but then I don't cache competitively in any way.

Interesting perspective, but it all comes down to how you play the "game". The game is more like solitare then a sports game where you compete with others. I think you should play it because you enjoy it for whatever reason and not because you are going to get a trophy or a cash prize at the end.

I looked at Terracaching, and there are 6 caches within about 20 miles of me, where as Geocaching.com has probably like 2,000. You don't have to participate in the journal part of the site if you don't want. Some people like that part and use it as a social experience.

I guess it depends on how you define a 'game'. What about a computer game like Sim City? You don't really 'beat' that game, and it doesn't have an end goal, but is it a game? You can set your own goals. Maybe to get the highest population, least pollution, most revenue, etc. So when you compare 2 people's cities, you can't really say one person won simply because they have the most of something.

I'm not sure how good of an analogy that is, but I see geocaching as being whatever you make of it. Personally, I guess I'd call it more of a hobby than a game to me, but then I don't cache competitively in any way.

"Game" being subjective sure.. The way I see your analogy is that you would be competing against yourself and using a another player to compare. It wouldn't really be a competition between the two of you if the other player doesn't feel the same way though.

Yes, "Geocaching" can be whatever. Geocaching as it relates to geocaching.com I think is something else altogether?

I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days and I've come to the realization that geocaching is simply not a game. I know I've called it that before and for the most part I believed that.

Geocaching on some level appears to be more of a religion to some as they try to push their way onto others and then get all defensive when you push back. Who really has the right to dictate how I play the game? Especially when the goal in the end is the same which is to find something... But then again is it the find or is it the journey?

Geocaching.com

They have a means to log your finds online, Online Journal?

They have a means to post pictures of your adventures and or finds, Online Photo Album?

There are Travelbugs.. Well I'm not sure where this one falls, Still a Journal of sorts.

Terracaching.com (simply used for comparative purposes)

A point system that awards people for hiding and finding.

A log system much like a journal, but more for the finding portion of the point system.

A rating system which supplements the hiding portion of the point system.

No online photo album, etc..

Which one seems more like a game?

To me.. Terracaching is a game. There is a point system that's sole purpose is to breed competition amongst the players.

Geocaching (as in geocaching.com) is simply an online journal to record your day to day geocaching adventures. A smiley simply represents a find and nothing more. Sure you can say you have X amount more smileys than someone else, but there is no system in place to level the playing field. I mean how is it fair that someone say in Florida or California where micros are rampant that has more finds than someone in the hill country where there are more long hike caches?

Now in the past Groundspeak has said that geocaching.com is not for competition. If they did we would probably see something more along the lines of what terracaching is now today. The funny part to me at least is that these people that are complaining about the rules and guidelines saying it isn't fair to pad numbers with pocket caches, temp caches, or whatever seem to have this idea that geocaching.com is a game/competition where the number of finds is your "score". Who are these people competing against and why are they using such an arbitrary number to base this on? If they are not competing what are they complaining for?

"Geocaching" can be whatever you want it to be. That is something you decide for yourself and by no means should that be pushed onto others.

What I don't understand is geocaching as it relates to geocaching.com. Is geocaching.com a game or journal?

If geocaching.com is a game where does one keep score, surely it can't be with the smiley count?

If geocaching.com is a journal, why not support/implement features that further what's already in place?

I use to think it was a Game, but now after reading all the message recently, more bad than good my stance is clearly on geocaching.com being a journal and nothing more. Now, I didn't really think out this post so I’m interested in seeing what other people think and maybe point out the holes in my line of thought here.

So please no personal attacks, Open civil discussion only please... if for some reason this post angers you.. type what you want to say in notepad or something similar. Wait an hour, re-read your message. If you still feel the same way then post away.

For those that just don't get it, this is a most excellent commentary on the holy war being waged on these forums for over a week now.

Calling people cheaters and liars in a game with no clear winner is absurd. The fact that TPTB actually got on that train to insanity is mind-boggling.

Solohiker said it best years ago: I wish this hobby was run more like a business instead if a business that is run like a hobby............ I thought the guy was a jerk and he was banned. He seems very profound now.

Converting an existing cache to some other use is abusing the system. It doesn't have to do with rules, cheating, or whatever, but revising a former cache listing to log a couple more finds.

It isn't a holy war or a response to cheating, but a logical decision based on the fact that the cache wasn't in the person's pocket when it was listed on the site. To say otherwise is muddying the waters in order to push your own misguided opinion on what transpired.

Spare me the "holy war" tripe. The majority of the geocaching community couldn't give a carp one way or another on this topic. Enjoy your tempest in the teapot.

Solohiker said it best years ago: I wish this hobby was run more like a business instead if a business that is run like a hobby............ I thought the guy was a jerk and he was banned. He seems very profound now.

Solohiker wasn't banned. This is just one other example of your misrepresenting the facts. But hey - live the lie if it suits you.

I don't see how the 3 posts above me have anything to do with the topic of the thread.

I say journal of individual activity.

edit to remove smiley after first sentence. Not cool to hijack the forums for a public mudslinging contest. Why don't you 2 take it outside and duke it out in the parking lot like civilized juveniles... :laughing:

Edited by hikergps

Solohiker wasn't banned. This is just one other example of your misrepresenting the facts. But hey - live the lie if it suits you.

I stand corrected... sort of. Although, I don't feel completely abashed. Could you provide the multitudes with some more of my misrepresentations.

I emailed solohiker. Maybe he can say if he was banned or not, since he clearly isn't banned now.

The tempest remark was classic. That's gonna set well with the silent crowd that was affected.

I emailed solohiker. Maybe he can say if he was banned or not, since he clearly isn't banned now.

Way to go being proactive and all.

The tempest remark was classic. That's gonna set well with the silent crowd that was affected.

Great. Make sure to quote my entire post.

oh and on topic too.. :laughing: Thanks.

I don't see how the 3 posts above me have anything to do with the topic of the thread.

edit to remove smiley after first sentence. Not cool to hijack the forums for a public mudslinging contest. Why don't you 2 take it outside and duke it out in the parking lot like civilized juveniles...

It deals directly to the topic. There is a direct correlation between an attempt to make the pocket lint part of the scoring argument, which is patently false. It's merely an abuse of the system, taking over existing caches and turning them into something else.

I have always said that this is not a scoring game so it is, in a sense, a journal. But that doesn't give carte blanche to adjust old caches to suit some sort of weird pocket lint concept.

I think the Journal analogy is a good one, and something to think about.

I agree that pocket caches don't fit in with the rules or guidelines of this site either and shouldn't probably be logged as 'finds' with a smiley.

However, people want to do this pocket caching activity so how about this proposal: Groundspeak will manufacture and sell something like a serial numbered metal dog-tag that people could attach to their pocket logbook, and when people sign the logbook, instead of posting a smiley to a cache page, they can copy the number off the tag and enter a special web page for that tag on geocaching.com where they could write an online log to claim a 'find' or 'discovered' on that tag.

Oh wait, of course this mechanism already exists, it's called the "personal travel bug."

also think very very hard about this next proposal before responding, imagine a world where you could 'elect' (by way of a checkbox in your profile) to make your find count 'private.' Like eBay's feedback system, you can choose to have the system not display that number after your username. All those who did not want to play the 'numbers game' could elect to have their username show up on online logs as (for example) johndoe_cacher (*) instead of johndoe_cacher (628). This would prevent display of your find totals on your profile as well. Someone could tell you found traditionals, virtuals, etc, just not how many you found.

XNSL

edit to remove smiley after first sentence. Not cool to hijack the forums for a public mudslinging contest. Why don't you 2 take it outside and duke it out in the parking lot like civilized juveniles...

It deals directly to the topic. There is a direct correlation between an attempt to make the pocket lint part of the scoring argument, which is patently false. It's merely an abuse of the system, taking over existing caches and turning them into something else.

I have always said that this is not a scoring game so it is, in a sense, a journal. But that doesn't give carte blanche to adjust old caches to suit some sort of weird pocket lint concept.

My apolgies then for not being more specific. I was refering to the "Holy War", "tempest in a teapot", and references to solohiker. Comments made by both Snoogans and yourself.

Gee, for a journaling thing, there sure is a big emphasis on the number of smileys people have.

Take this thread.

Or this one.

Or this one.

Or this one.

Or this one.

Or this one.

Or this one.

Or this one.

Or this one.

Or this one.

Or this one.

Or this one.

I could easily go on for many pages.

I am very puzzled by everyone who claims it's "not about the numbers" and "you don't get any prize for getting the most finds" when both statements seem to be, for a large fraction of the community, completely false.

...I am very puzzled by everyone who claims it's "not about the numbers" and "you don't get any prize for getting the most finds" when both statements seem to be, for a large fraction of the community, completely false.

Weird. I read the OP as just another 'What's geocaching to you?' thread. I expected the most contraversial post to be the one which would call it a 'RASH'. :laughing:

Edited by sbell111

Gee, for a journaling thing, there sure is a big emphasis on the number of smileys people have.

I am very puzzled by everyone who claims it's "not about the numbers" and "you don't get any prize for getting the most finds" when both statements seem to be, for a large fraction of the community, completely false.

Numbers matter to a small fraction of the community that post a lot in the forums. I doubt that the majority of geocachers reallly care about other people's numbers. They may look at the leader boards and send congratulations to friends on their milestones - but this is just because it's fun or interesting and not because they're competing. On the other hand, I suspect - but have no way to verify this - that most geocachers feel the find count has something to do with the number of caches you have found. There isn't agreement on what constitutes a find - some people want to count temporary event caches, others feel it's still a find if you didn't sign the log because you didn't have a pen or the log was wet, still others may accept bonus smileys. Certainly more than a few are puritans than hold to a higher standard to claim a find - but many of them say that as long as someone else isn't just logging blantly fake finds they're not going to get their panties in a knot. I also understand Jeremy's position. He's not going to be the log police - but if a cache is being used for a practice that he has decided is not related to geocaching he reserves the right to archive the cache (if it isn't already archived) and lockdown logging on the cache.

My apolgies then for not being more specific. I was refering to the "Holy War", "tempest in a teapot", and references to solohiker. Comments made by both Snoogans and yourself.

Religion is quoted in paragraph 2 and the creation of this topic is certainly as a result of the other topics. To disregard that would be silly.

Numbers matter to a small fraction of the community that post a lot in the forums.

I agree with Mr. T more and more each day.

Large fraction by definition do you mean the forum users?

I think its great to celebrate the number of caches you have found, but to use geocaching.com as a basis to compete and thumping the rules/guidelines doesn't make sense to me. I'm just saying maybe geocaching.com should be viewed differently by what it actually provides for us as geocachers.

Edited by Geek-Qualizer

Attempting to stay on topic;

I personally still consider this activity to be a game. I think the solitaire analogy is an excellent one. As it stands, I am not in competition with anyone, which is just the way I like it. As long as I enjoy playing, I'll continue playing. If the day ever comes when I no longer enjoy it, (yeah, right!), I'll find something else to do. Maybe knitting? If I double stitch after a cross stitch, would that be cheating? :laughing:

Religion is quoted in paragraph 2 and the creation of this topic is certainly as a result of the other topics. To disregard that would be silly.

I still think the exchange was rude and distracting from the topic. I will not purse the matter any longer.

Rule #1-The boss is always right.

Rule #2-If the boss is wrong see rule number 1.

I posted this on another thread, yet I think it’s relevant here as well.

You know there’s something here that I don’t think some of you have considered. Big numbers don’t make a good cacher and low numbers don’t make a bad cacher.

Most of you are from places where caches are thick, and yes I’ll concede the Micro Spew™ point here. For you numbers can be big. However for some cachers there are no big numbers of caches. I just moved to ND a month and half ago. There are 37 caches within 50 miles of my house. Of them 7 are mine.

I would love to have some more caches placed up here so I could hunt them. Notice I said hunt them, not find them. I’m one of those weirdoes that like the hunt as much or more than the find. I would consider Micro Spew™ a blessing here. Any cache for me to hunt would be a good cache. I, like any decent cacher, would prefer high quality caches. I will be first to stand and fight for quality over quantity. For me, here, now, any cache would be a God-send.

When you make the argument that big numbers means you’re a good cacher, I have to say, NO. Even if all the cachers out there today started caching on the same day, they all have the physical ability, and the same caching enthusiasm, they would not have the same numbers. Your arguments are based, and understandably so, on your caching habitat.

Some habitats are very diverse. In that environment even specialist that takes only a certain types of caches can thrive. In that same environment even a sloth could come up with big numbers.

Then you have caching habitats where one has to be a generalist, and a darn good one at that, just to get by.

Now let’s factor in the mobility differences. Once again all the cachers started caching on the same day, with the same physical ability, and the same desire to cache. If a cacher in a cache light area can’t take off and travel miles and miles to find that one cache, they won’t have the numbers. While others, even if from a cache light area, travel a lot, due to business or what-have-you, that cacher, even though his home habitat maybe low, has more opportunities to find the caches.

Now let’s bring this back to the real world. Just because you started caching before of after someone has no direct bearing on your ability or knowledge. I know a lot of old idiots. Your numbers may have more to do with your environment than your ability. Not only that, your time as a cacher and your cache count is in no way a gauge to your enthusiasm for, or value to the sport. You could be a burned out cynical old husk doing more harm than good.

So numbers are not always what they seem. I would rather be a noob that loves the sport and is goshdarn good at it, than a grumpy grizzled old veteran that does more griping than caching and couldn’t find a cache if it was glued to his back side.

Too many of us obsess over numbers, and because GC tracks numbers as a service to it members, we fixate on GC when talking about numbers. GC is not there to be the governing body of the “Professional Cachers of the World Association”. It is there as an aid to those of us in the world that love to geocache. I completely understand your idea when say that it’s a journal, because in many ways it is. Yet it is the means by which we engage in our hobby so it is also something more than just a journal. I think to see it as either one ONLY is to miss the broad view. The one thing I don’t think GC is or ever should be is a scoreboard for the reasons stated above.

My apologies then for not being more specific. I was referring to the "Holy War", "tempest in a teapot", and references to solohiker. Comments made by both Snoogans and yourself.

I still think the exchange was rude and distracting from the topic. I will not purse the matter any longer.

I don't work for the frog. Do you? :)

In business the idiom is, "The customer is always..." ahhh never mind. :anibad::wacko:

In this business it seems some customers are better than others hence the tempest in a teapot remark. Meaning a disturbance or uproar over a matter of little or no importance. I will continue to disagree on this matter NOT because I am affected, but because people I care about are affected. The tempest remark is an insult from on high to every last one of them and there are many. Notice the game of catch-up being played on the social logging thread in the gc.com forum..... For the record my tempest isn't about the end to a questionable practice, but the manner and timing in which the end came. I don't dispute the decision, it affects me not, but to then refer to the feelings of those affected as of little or no importance........ :P Might as well have said, "Let 'em eat cake." :blink:

Further back on topic:

Geocaching on some level appears to be more of a religion to some as they try to push their way onto others and then get all defensive when you push back.

GQ has boiled all the recent verbosity of late into one sentence. The entire post is excellent and I'd expect nothing less from someone who chooses words as carefully as Geek.

I have seen rational, fun, forum folk turn into snarling hyenas over their geocaching beliefs this past week and a half.

Debates often get heated here, but this definitely has the feeling of a crusade to take back the holy database from the infidel log abusers.

I don't feel I've lost any friends during these forays into battle, but my perspective of many here has changed as I suspect many have changed their perspective of me. :P

Edited by Snoogans

"In business the idiom is, "The customer is always...""

Any business owner who believes that....needs better training

It's called giving your customers realistic expectations.

“Yes sir, I understand what you are asking, here’s what we have available….”

My apologies then for not being more specific. I was referring to the "Holy War", "tempest in a teapot", and references to solohiker. Comments made by both Snoogans and yourself.

I don't work for the frog. Do you? :(

Nope. Just sarcastically commenting on the company's rationalization of perpetuating the sideways course of the topic from the original post.

imagine a world where you could 'elect' (by way of a checkbox in your profile) to make your find count 'private.'

Imagine a world where a box could be checked that would make everyone else's find count unknown to you. All the people who wish GC.com would remove find counts altogether could just check this box and (while reading logs on cache pages, for example) wouldn't need to see any cacher's find count ever again.

If I double stitch after a cross stitch, would that be cheating? :(

:( Brilliant!!! Edited by subterranean

The action part of geocaching-loading coords, going outside, seeking and maybe finding a cache-definitly a sport.

The sitting in front of your computer part of geocaching- entering logs, both finds and DNF's, spending time in chat and forums-journal.

There-it's the best of both worlds if you really need to label it. :(

But I've always been content with R.A.S.H. (recreational activity sport hobby). It can be contagious, and if you scratch the itch, you generally want to do it some more cuz it feels so good. :(

I think the Journal analogy is a good one, and something to think about.

>>>clip<<<

also think very very hard about this next proposal before responding, imagine a world where you could 'elect' (by way of a checkbox in your profile) to make your find count 'private.' Like eBay's feedback system, you can choose to have the system not display that number after your username. All those who did not want to play the 'numbers game' could elect to have their username show up on online logs as (for example) johndoe_cacher (*) instead of johndoe_cacher (628). This would prevent display of your find totals on your profile as well. Someone could tell you found traditionals, virtuals, etc, just not how many you found.

XNSL

Geocaching at gc.com can be analogized in as many ways probably as there are cachers. Personally, I consider it Entertainment. Never been into the numbers game, as can be seen by my almost 4 years caching, and my barely over 300 finds at gc.com.

I think the idea of having a choice to hide one's number of finds is a good one. If Jeremy truly thinks it is not a scoring game.....

>>>>clip<<<<

I have always said that this is not a scoring game

>>>>clip<<<<

Then why not allow members to remove/hide the one number at gc.com that can be viewed as a score--the find count?

I've never been hassled one way or the other about my find count, but was scathed once by another geocacher who thought I hadn't attended enough events to be allowed to have an opinion.

WCB

Not that it matters but I like the numbers they do alot of things for me... they remind me that maybe I need to get off my a** and get out caching cause fellow cachers are adding to there numbers and mine is the same or if someone finds my cache who has a lot of finds and they bragged about the cache that tells me maybe im on the right track or if they DNF maybe I need to recheck my coords but I dont cache to BEAT someone else. but I do LIKE TO SEE THE NUMBERS. I agree that some of the caches being logged not only violate the letter of the law but also the spirit of the law and that makes it wrong to the way the game is designed to be played on this site. I also belong to other sites I like the score keeping but Im playing against myself not my neighbor.

Interesting topic.

Whether I'm hunting a GC or a TC to me is immaterial: lately, caching days have become few and far between and they are almost like "mental health" days. I come back tired, filthy, bruised, sometimes bleeding, usually a pint low on blood thanks to the mossies - and I'm smiling.

Whether I get points or smilies really doesn't matter.

I would say that geocaching.com is a business. That's all.

They offer 2 services:

1) cache listings

2) A journal of your caching activities.

Whatever policies they have are there because they are in their (perceived) best interest. No other reason.

Most people use both services to some degree.

Some people choose to use the listings but don't even log their finds.

Some poeple, curiously, are more interested in the logs (smileys) than actually finding a listed cache.

If one truly does not care about the smileys, but wishes to have better journaling features, why not make up your own journal, or use some other service. (blogspot for example). There are many providers of blogging services that would do quite nicely.

----

Now along comes Terracaching.com. They provide 4 services:

1) Cache listings.

2) A journal (and you can use photos BTW)

3) A scoring system. (which you can ignore if you want)

4) A cache rating system to help you avoid "lameness" (by whatever your definition is).

But the same deal applies. You can hunt the caches and not bother with the rating systems, etc. if you want.

geocaching is an activity/game/sport/whatever you want to call it.

gc.com and tc.com are businesses. You can use their services, or not, as you so choose.

You can even replace or augment some of their services with 3rd party services such as keenpeople.com or http://www.utahgeocachers.com/Cloo.php, or others.

Love the activity, not the brand name.

Edited by headybrew

I would say that geocaching.com is a business. That's all.

They offer 2 services:

1) cache listings

2) A journal of your caching activities.

Don't forget all the cool T-shirts, mugs, antennae balls etc. etc.