Puritan Vs Purist

I've seen the two words "Puritan" and "Purist" used a lot in the forums lately. I've also seen some people call themselves, or others, a GeoPuritan. I've gotten a little chuckle out of it since the two words don't have the same meaning at all.

A Puritan was a member of the protestant religion centuries ago, or maybe even a super prude.

From www.dictionary.com:

Pu·ri·tan (pyr-tn)

n. A member of a group of English Protestants who in the 16th and 17th centuries advocated strict religious discipline along with simplification of the ceremonies and creeds of the Church of England.

puritan One who lives in accordance with Protestant precepts, especially one who regards pleasure or luxury as sinful.

adj : morally rigorous and strict; "blue laws"; "the puritan work ethic"; "puritanic distaste for alcohol"; "she was anything but puritanical in her behavior" [syn: blue(a), puritanic, puritanical]

n 1: adheres to strict religious principles; opposed to sensual pleasures 2: a person excessively concerned about propriety and decorum

So anyone calling themselves a GeoPuritan seems to be a geocacher that is very religious and/or opposed to sensual pleasures? Hey Mopar, is this true? And does GeoHo know about that? :laughing: (j/k)

However, the word Purist I think fits more with what people are trying to say. If someone is trying to indicate that they're more interested in following the pure form of the game, and they don't want to get into any of the much debated practices of what should or shouldn't be logged, then they're more of a GeoPurist instead.

Also from www.dictionary.com

pur·ist (pyrst)

n. One who practices or urges strict correctness, especially in the use of words.

Given that definition, I think it's ironic that people calling others "Puritans" actually mean to call them a "Purist" but have chosen the wrong word to use.

I've seen the two words "Puritan" and "Purist" used a lot in the forums lately. I've also seen some people call themselves, or others, a GeoPuritan. I've gotten a little chuckle out of it since the two words don't have the same meaning at all.

A Puritan was a member of the protestant religion centuries ago, or maybe even a super prude.

From www.dictionary.com:

Pu·ri·tan (pyr-tn)

n. A member of a group of English Protestants who in the 16th and 17th centuries advocated strict religious discipline along with simplification of the ceremonies and creeds of the Church of England.

puritan One who lives in accordance with Protestant precepts, especially one who regards pleasure or luxury as sinful.

adj : morally rigorous and strict; "blue laws"; "the puritan work ethic"; "puritanic distaste for alcohol"; "she was anything but puritanical in her behavior" [syn: blue(a), puritanic, puritanical]

n 1: adheres to strict religious principles; opposed to sensual pleasures 2: a person excessively concerned about propriety and decorum

So anyone calling themselves a GeoPuritan seems to be a geocacher that is very religious and/or opposed to sensual pleasures? Hey Mopar, is this true? And does GeoHo know about that? :ph34r: (j/k)

However, the word Purist I think fits more with what people are trying to say. If someone is trying to indicate that they're more interested in following the pure form of the game, and they don't want to get into any of the much debated practices of what should or shouldn't be logged, then they're more of a GeoPurist instead.

Also from www.dictionary.com

pur·ist (pyrst)

n. One who practices or urges strict correctness, especially in the use of words.

Given that definition, I think it's ironic that people calling others "Puritans" actually mean to call them a "Purist" but have chosen the wrong word to use.

Me thinks Goodey Mushtang is performing witchery with that post. :ph34r:

{a voice in the crowd} He turned me into a newt!

Burn him!

:laughing::blink::laughing::laughing::ph34r:

I think the folks who use the term puritan are using it as a pejorative.

Hugh Jazz tells me that he originally used the term "Puritan" as a joke, as a malapropism (look THAT one up), to get a bit of a laugh in these here forums.

Alas, Hugh Jazz was burned at the Stake and forever banished from the Groundspeak community, so he is unable to post any more of his Puritannical witticisms in these forums.

:anibad:

Hugh Jazz tells me that he originally used the term "Puritan" as a joke, as a malapropism (look THAT one up), to get a bit of a laugh in these here forums.

Alas, Hugh Jazz was burned at the Stake and forever banished from the Groundspeak community, so he is unable to post any more of his Puritannical witticisms in these forums.

Then how did he post this?

The use of puritan dates back to this thread. I actually used the word "purist" and several people objected. Hugh Jazz suggest "puritan" as an alternative.

Snoogans beat me to it!

:anibad::P

. . . . {a voice in the crowd} He turned me into a newt!

Burn him!

:blink::ph34r::):wacko::P

Forgot quote

Edited by Pto

Uh, I'm not certain if this is correct since I don't hang out in these forums much anymore but at this point I think I'm supposed to say something like "why does my post say ringbone?"

:P

Uh, I'm not certain if this is correct since I don't hang out in these forums much anymore but at this point I think I'm supposed to say something like "why does my post say ringbone?"

Hello lowracer / Hugh Jazz / XNSL. I woke up this morning to the distinct whiff of dirty gym socks. To me, this is better than coffee.

Your charade of forum martyrdom has come to an end. Why not tell the truth? Here is the message sent to you by a moderator in these forums on January 26, 2006:

The moderating team noticed that you are doing your geocaching under the "Lowracer" account name again. After consulting with Groundspeak and the moderator team, I am writing to ask that you do your forum posting under that name as well. Posting rights have been suspended for the "Hugh Jazz" account. Your posts to the forums are always colorful, usually humorous and often insightful. I hope that you will continue to contribute to the forum community.

The truth reads just a bit differently from your version. The Lowracer account name continues to be absolutely free of any posting restrictions. I would not, however, try posting any further with the XNSL account. Man, that job took an entire GALLON of bleach.

Normally the text of moderator actions is not disclosed publicly. But since you continue this public masquerade in this and other forums, it was my duty as a sock puppet chasing superhero to fight for truth and justice.

as a malapropism

Cool. I met my wife when she was playing the lead role of Lydia Languish in The Rivals.

And back on topic.... um.... Go Puritans!

One of the original names considered for the New England Patriots was the Puritans. They decided against it for fear that beer sales might suffer at the concessions. :anibad:

Does this mean that anyone who condones the use of pocket caches and illegal moving caches is in league with ........SATAN!!???? :P:P

as a malapropism

Cool. I met my wife when she was playing the lead role of Lydia Languish in The Rivals.

One of the original names considered for the New England Patriots was the Puritans. They decided against it for fear that beer sales might suffer at the concessions. :wacko:

Does this mean that anyone who condones the use of pocket caches and illegal moving caches is in league with ........SATAN!!???? :P:anibad:

Whoa! Then that would make me a Devil's Advocate! :P:)

as a malapropism

One of the original names considered for the New England Patriots was the Puritans. They decided against it for fear that beer sales might suffer at the concessions. :P

Does this mean that anyone who condones the use of pocket caches and illegal moving caches is in league with ........SATAN!!???? :P:P

Whoa! Then that would make me a Devil's Advocate! :P:blink:

:ph34r: