I Need Help/advice About Buying A Pda

Hey everyone. I just found out that you are able to use a PDA instead of printing off pages and pages of caches. Im trying to find a PDA to buy that will do just the trick. Im not looking for the top of the line and not the cheapest. Can anyone give me some tips and advice as to what to look for and what kinds are the best for pretty much just geocaching. thanks

Much appreciated

BaloneyCacher

An inexpensive Palm OS device is the way to go. My Dad just gave me a Handspring Visor Deluxe with 8MB of RAM and it works great with Cachemate. Its memory is upgradeable via the springboard expansion slot (they also have Magellan GPSr units that plugs into this port selling on E-bay for about $40.00 with maps. Before my Dad gave me this unit, I was watching Visor's on E-bay sell for ~$20.00 with shipping (used, but perfect) with a leather case and USB docking station. I'd recommend at least 8MB of RAM. Color would be nice, but you'll pay more for it and the screens can washout in direct sunlight. A lot of cachers really love the Palm IIIxe (similar to the Handspring Deluxe).

Just be sure that your Palm OS is at least 3.0 or greater. The new version of Cachemate won't work with anything less. BTW, spend the $8.00 to register Cachemate, it is WELL worth the investment. You may also consider giving GSAK a try. It is a fantastic database program for sorting caches before you go for them. Ask anyone in the forums...everyone raves about GSAK!

Here's an example...

Edited by Dude/Sweet

Of course, you don't have to go with Cachemate. I have both Cachemate and plucker on my pda, and I definitely prefer Plucker.

A while back, I picked up a used Palm V for my dad to cache with. It only has 2mb of RAM, but it works great. The best thing is since it cost less than $20 after shipping, nobody is going to cry if you crush it on the trail.

Edited by sbell111

PDAs are available on ebay...just to be sure I bought a new Garmin IIIxe 8mb with all the goodies $60...also I bought a Garmin IIIx 4mbs $25...I really can't see that what I paid is really that "out side the box". This is a great hobby and not that expensive :) On other hobbies I spend Thousands of $ +. $100 is a small price to pay for the fun I'm having. By the way I'm old and not rich... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

If you're going to buy one and use it for more than geocaching, get the best one you can afford, and protect it with a RhinoSkin cover.

If you're going to be around the $300 mark, might as well take a look at the Palm TX.

Otherwise, yea, if you just want to use it for geocaching, get a cheapie and don't sweat it.

Edited by TEAM 360

And what project is this?

I was in WA in April, and got a chance to swing by and meet the folks at HQ. They had an open house that day, and gave a demo of their next project. (There is a ? on the site somewhere.) It will be a quasi-separate site like Waymarking.

I didn't take notes, so I can only go by memory, but the premise is an interactive game using a Pocket PC with gps abilities.

Someone will create a "module" that you will play. For instance, the author of the module could direct you to go to a specific intersection. When the gps in the unit recognizes that you are within a pre-determined radius of the intersection, a new set of intructions will pop up on your screen. In this way, you can have them look for something particular in order to get the next set of instructions. They may have to enter some info, that can only be found there, in order to move on.

The example we got was when we got our invite to HQ. We were sent an email with a picture of something, and coordinates to the general vicinity. We were instructed to go into the establishment where we saw the image in the picture, and tell someone behind the counter that we were geocachers.

We got to the spot, found the image, and it was over a coffee shop. When I walked to the counter, and told them I was a cacher, he asked me what I wanted to drink. When I got my cup, there was a sticker on it with another set of co-ords, and an encrypted clue. Those numbers, and the clue, got us to HQ.

That was just a short example of the ideas they are kicking around. I think it was Raine that gave us a demo of the actual program in the conference room. The only limits to the adventure is the imagination of the writer of the module.

That is a poor explanation, but I imagined it to be kind of like a live dungeons and dragons game.

And what project is this?

I was in WA in April, and got a chance to swing by and meet the folks at HQ. They had an open house that day, and gave a demo of their next project. (There is a ? on the site somewhere.) It will be a quasi-separate site like Waymarking.

Sounds kind of like a couple of caches I've heard about. Plus, some elements from some other GPS style games on another site.

Sounds pretty interesting.

Ah Hah, now I think I understand more about the elites mentioned here. :P

Since I cannot afford a cell phone, and cannot afford another PDA, I won't be participating in that game . . . :)

I still recommend a cheap monochrome Palm for Geocaching. :)

Yet you can afford the imported petoleum distillates required to transport yourself to over 1300 cache locations? I know that I am missing something. :):P:)

Edited by Team Cotati

:) 1,300 . . . confused.gif

Ever tried car-pooling? :)

I have been blessed to know very generous cachers who have allowed me to accompany them in their vehicles. thumbsup.gif Princess Toadstool, duganrm, TrailGators, fisnjack, and Jahoadi and John deserve special mention. :D

"Ever tried car-pooling?" For Geocaching? No. And likely never will. Just too independent I suppose and our schedule rarely matches anyone else's. :D

"Most Cache Finds while carpooling"..........now that right there has GOT to be some sort of a record, wouldn't you think?

Crimminie! : http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default.aspx?id=309782

Seems as though one always has to spell it out in here. Therefore you can intrepret it as: "..to ever how many locations where approximately 1628 caches were found by Miragee the Carpooling Cache Hound".

Told ya that I was missing something!! :D

:P:D:D

Edited by Team Cotati