Geocoin's Stopping A Bullet

Renegade Knight

How thick do you recon it would need to be to stop a 9mm, .223, or 7.62x39mm?

I figure most all of them would stop a .22.

The way I see it, shooing them to make the hole for a traveling coin has got to be more fun than a drill.

Doing that is going just a little bit to the extremes. :huh: First off, unless you get a very soft metal, it's not going to happen. All you'll be able to do is really bend the coins out of shape. Then they wouldn't be of any use to collectors and worse, to yourself. ;)

I know it's not much fun, but go ahead and drill the hole instead.

If you do shoot them make sure you shoot the side that doesn't have the tracking number! ;)

:huh: If your really gonna shoot them, then send them out into the wild, give me a shout!

I'd love for you to send me one and let me start it's journey from Down South!!

I can see 'em now!!

RK's Shot Up Ricocheting Traveling Coins :(:huh:;);):blink:

Sounds like an Old West Side Show!! :huh:

D-man :(

Edited by gridlox

well ts a good thing i'm at my cabin tonight. I just shot 2, .22 rounds into a silver coin, from about 15 feet, 1 went threw and one didn't coin is pretty bent and hot. tracking number isn't readable. other geocoin. not another micro camo. 9mm 1 large hole threw coin. coin is funnel shapped, and really hot. geocoin.ca 12 gauge with bird shot. no holes but 2 dents

sorry about the coins guys, but they can still go out, i'll just write the tracking number on some paper with it

well ts a good thing i'm at my cabin tonight. I just shot 2, .22 rounds into a silver coin, from about 15 feet, 1 went threw and one didn't coin is pretty bent and hot. tracking number isn't readable. other geocoin. not another micro camo. 9mm 1 large hole threw coin. coin is funnel shapped, and really hot. geocoin.ca 12 gauge with bird shot. no holes but 2 dents

sorry about the coins guys, but they can still go out, i'll just write the tracking number on some paper with it

I think the biggest problem will be that the contents of the caches that receive these coins will most likely ignite, and consequently destroying the log book.

I wonder how long they stay hot? :huh:

The way I see it, shooing them to make the hole for a traveling coin has got to be more fun than a drill.

I'm with ya RK....LOL....It would be more fun than drilling the hole. Might not look too perty...but it would be more fun :huh:

I have shot a nickel with a .22, and it totally destoryed the nickel. It tore from the center where I hit it to the outside and the force twisted it about 30 degrees. I am afraid that shooting them would just make a piece of scrap metal, if you are even able to find it after you have shot it.

Send me your coins and I'll test it out... :blink:

Really, I figure it would need to be fairly thick. I think many geocoins plated plated brass, so they would bend a bit before the bullet eventally punches a hole. Maybe you'd need to use FMJ rounds?

Based on all the bullet holes in the signs up here, I have to think that only someone with Alaska ties would think of that! :blink:

Thanks, RK, for the smile this morning.

Ok folks, I shot a 2006 Idaho coin with a 7.62 x 39mm Full Metal Jacket round. I'll post pics later.

The coin now has a nice 7.62mm hole through it and metal burr's that would need shaved off before it's sent out to travel. I don't have a de-burring tool but I'll improvise.

It blew off the nice color face and the epoxy coating didn't help keep it on. The back side of the coin (and the exit side of the bullet) fared much better.

Alas I could not find the coin face to try and glue it back on.

I think that a solid surface to back the coin would help with the slight deformation the coin now has.

This is coin number one of the new RK Redneck Coin series. Coming soon to a cache near you.

When I was a young soldier, I shot numerous coins with 9mm and 7.62mm, I must state that it isn't a very bright thing to do at 25 yd.

If you don't hit the coin precisely square on, or if the coin isn't incredibly securely attached to whatever is holding it, it can fly back with enough energy to injure the shooter or bystanders. It won't always fly back. Indeed, they don't fly back very often - but when they do, they are pretty nasty.

I've had to use pliers to pull quarters out of the pillar of the shooting platform, for example. 12 inches to the left, and the doctors would be using pliers to pull quarters from the shooter's skull.

Edited by geoSquid

My photography skills while much improved, still suck. But here are the photo's of the coin.

951057c5-7b21-464d-8930-a69c79eb4018.jpga12e6d44-fda9-4fbe-b2e3-753126ac40e2.jpg

A couple more details.

Range was point blank. I didn't want to risk it careening off to parts unknown from a nick. It was bounded by wood on the sides so it could only go foreword. The instrument of choice was an SKS.

Sweet, so when are you going to attach a TB and set it free?

If I was the owner of the geocoin I would be pretty pissed off for some idiot whos @#$$ is smaller than his brain shoots holes in a geocoin. Sorry but that is vandalism and these sort of people give caching the worst reputation that it doesnt need. I am surprised that some of you are not banned and removed from GC.com..Bragging about shooting a coin, very intelligent. Against guns no. Just against some people who should not own them. Me? 1982, .223, 100 metres, 10 rounds, all middle circle PAPER target, still have target, then thought why and sold all my weapons.

If I was the owner of the geocoin I would be pretty pissed off for some idiot whos @#$$ is smaller than his brain shoots holes in a geocoin. Sorry but that is vandalism and these sort of people give caching the worst reputation that it doesnt need. I am surprised that some of you are not banned and removed from GC.com..Bragging about shooting a coin, very intelligent. Against guns no. Just against some people who should not own them. Me? 1982, .223, 100 metres, 10 rounds, all middle circle PAPER target, still have target, then thought why and sold all my weapons.

Thank you for that nice post. :rolleyes: I owned that coin, bought and paid for, thank you very much. I have about 15 others to go into caches that anyone can keep. Plus I've given away several while promoting geocaching. Again, thank you very much. Any other questions? I'm glad you sold your guns. It just feels better that way.

Me? Every six months for the past five years, .223 (M-16), 40 rounds at a time, every human silhouette 300 meters and closer that has ever popped up in front of me.

If I want to shoot, melt down, blow up, or saw into tiny pieces a coin that I have purchased and own outright, I don't recommend calling me names and insulting my anatomy in person. The anonymity of the internet sure brings out the "armchair toughguy" in a lot of people who maybe should get the whole story before spouting off.

Hmmm... I may hafta order me a bunch o' them coins. How many would it take to stop the average handgun? ... Say, a Taurus. ... Not sure about the caliber but it stings like the dickens even with the Kevlar.

All I can tell you for certain is you will need more than one. The tricky part would be jumping about in just the right way that the stack of coins in your pocket is where the bullet impacts. Personally I'd stick with the kevlar.

But not as fun as burning a hole through one with a laser.

300px-Laser_DSC09088.JPG

--Marky

That would be cool. Back when some white coats at the U left out their lasers I got to play with them. It was fun but they just weren't strong enough to do much damage.

That would be cool. Back when some white coats at the U left out their lasers I got to play with them. It was fun but they just weren't strong enough to do much damage.

Back when I was working at Kennedy Space Center, I worked on a project with the laser lab at UCF where they had this high power laser hooked to a CAD system. Now that was some good fun. It was powerful enough to cut through a space shuttle heat tile. We cut letters out of them. :)