Google Earth Problems

Jingacacher

When I try to have Google Earth access the Geocaching information I get an error message that says:

"Fetch of Network Link 'Geocaching Network KML' failed....

Parse Error: File has missing or bad root element at line 1"

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, is there a fix?

I got the same thing. Anyone know what's wrong? I'm trying to use the new Google Earth 4 beta version. If I can't figure anything else out, I'll try to back up to the last version of Google Earth.

UPDATE: Uninstalled beta version and tried w/ last stable - still no luck...HELP!

Edited by teambeener

You are confusing Google Maps with Google Earth. If the URL isn't exactly right, Google Maps won't like the page. There's an issue with double slashes somewhere to still be found.

No, I get the problem from Google Earth. When I'm running the geocache KML, if I select a cache from the main map window and click "View Cache Details" everything is fine. If I select a cache from the "Places" window on the left side of the screen and select "View Cache Details" from there, I get a URL of the form http://www.geocaching.com//seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=xxx, with a double-slash between .com and seek. This has happened for me using GE 3 and 4, and on at least two different computers.

dave

Well Dang! I finally got some replies and my topic got hijacked!

I actually am talking bout the kml that you download from GC itself - the one that normally shows you all the caches in the area that you are viewing inside GE.

Any ideas why I would get the error I mention above?