Beating The Virtual Dead Horse.

Okay, yes I know about Waymarking, no virtuals and all that jazz but...

I just got back from vacation and along the way made layovers in both DC and in Denver. It seems to me that it would be really cool if there was one virtual cache allowed in each airport. There are lots of works of art and permanent structures that could be used in public (not behind security) areas of the airports for these virtuals.

That would allow those of us flying through the airports to do a little caching during stop-overs when there is not time to actually leave the facility and would also allow us to do virtual drops on TBs we are traveling with etc. It would be especially fun for business travelers that might not have time to cache on a trip but would still be able to look back on a lot of their journeys and see all the airports they have hit over a period of time.

What made me think of this was this bug I was traveling with. One of the bugs stated goals was to make it to Denver. Well, it made it there but there was no time for me to drop it or to even find a cache to place it in near the airport there. I snapped a picture to prove it was there but there was not way for me to record a drop of the bug in Denver even if it was just as a lame bug dip.

Anyway, just thought airport virtuals might be a fun idea for travelers passing through. What do you think?

I don't really think anything around an airport is a good idea. Lets just say I know my local airport pretty well <_< . I have always wanted to place a cache nearby but the surrounding community is not very practical and the outlying property is just asking for trouble.

I have not traveled all that much so I can't speak for other airports and their size or points of interest around them.

I know that many folks would not cause any problems but there is always that one bad apple. Lurking or acting suspicious is a key indicator that someone is up to no good including taking unusual/multiple pictures (not everyone reads signs).

Some folks are pretty keyed up while in airports and seeing someone nosing around some art or whatever may cause unwanted problems even if explicit written approval from the Airport/TSA/Local PD or whoever is granted even if there is no physical cache.

What made me think of this was this bug I was traveling with. One of the bugs stated goals was to make it to Denver. Well, it made it there but there was no time for me to drop it or to even find a cache to place it in near the airport there. I snapped a picture to prove it was there but there was not way for me to record a drop of the bug in Denver even if it was just as a lame bug dip.

How about allowing travel bugs to be logged through waymarks?

The fact that you snapped a photo of the TB's visit to Denver is good enough, IMHO. If I were the TB's owner, I'd be completely satisfied with that. Many cachers don't even bother to do what you did.

I was in the Denver area not too long ago, and my plans for dropping off some TBs on my way to the airport was thwarted since I helped give someone a ride down from Pikes Peak and I was almost late for my flight.

I would like to see the approvals of Virtuals return, too, but it's not urgent for me, since there are plenty of good ones to be found still. Judging by the various recent GeoControversies, my bet is that they WON'T return primarily due to potential for unruly behavior. <_<

The fact that you snapped a photo of the TB's visit to Denver is good enough, IMHO. If I were the TB's owner, I'd be completely satisfied with that. Many cachers don't even bother to do what you did.

Completely agree. It's more than I've seen done for many bugs.

I picked up a bug that wanted to visit historical places. 6 pages of logs, one photo and about 3 'historical' located caches. I took it on a tour of my town. No cache necessary to meet that goal. I even enjoyed doing it.

Thanks - I guess it is just unsatisfying somehow.

I really do think it would be neat if there was just one virtual in a public area of major airports to stop in at. I don't think there would be anything suspicious about the behavior (perhaps I am naïve) and it would add some fun to mundane layovers.

Just a pipe-dream I guess.

I think that it needs to be a waymark. Especially since new virtuals are no longer allowed. Of course there might be a slight problem with signal reception in an airport but I'm sure that you have already taken that into account in your planning.<_<:D:o

Edited by Team Cotati

That would be pretty cool - there are some really neat spots at airports.

yellowknife.jpg

Like this guy at the baggage claim in Yellowknife, Northwest Terretories, Canada. <_<

Sadly, I doubt your suggestion would fly (no pun intended). Maybe a better answer would be to implement a way to log a travel bug's visit to a waymark? There's already an airport category in place there.

Maybe a better answer would be to implement a way to log a travel bug's visit to a waymark?

Yeah, even if the powers that be did implement something like that, it just loses its luster having to go to a seperate site to log things. That's not even getting into the technical issues that something like that would present.