Explorist 500 Le

I went to TigerGPS looking for the AAA battery clip mentioned in this topic. Instead of further hijacking it, I'm starting this new one.

Anyway, I noticed that TigerGPS was listing the Magellan eXplorist 500 LE for sale with a release date of early July. Not a model I was familiar with. This unit uses the AAA battery clip that sells for $8 separately. TigerGPS's product listing for the 500LE says:

AAA Alkaline Battery Clip

Now you can power your eXplorist 500 with a simple pair of AAAs. Up to 17 hours of battery life, and no worries about chargers or nonstandard batteries!

The 500LE sells for a whopping $71 less before you take off the $50 rebate for the 500. There's no trade-off in battery life, as I get 18 hours from the Li-ion battery on my eXplorist 400.

I know the Garministas will say that Magellan is reversing their position on the Li-ion batteries that have been used and admitting failure. The Li-ion batteries have worked well for most people (maybe not me), but now Magellan is realising that they scared away some customers by not using AAs or AAAs in their higher-end units. The batteries were cell phone batteries and not proprietary, but the iPod has given rechargable batteries a bad name even if they are user-replaceable.

I think I would prefer to run off the AAAs. I have many NiMH AAAs lying around that I use for my MP3 player and PDA. To be environmentally conscious, you could use the NiMH AAAs. And if you were in a pinch, you could run to the drug store and buy regular AAAs. I had (and maybe still have) a charging issue with my 400. It's easier to go out and buy a new Energizer charger than sending the GPSr in for repair or buying a new one.

The eX500 can be purchased for $225 less $50 rebate= $175. This is a bargain for a full featured GPSr (I have had mine a year+.)

This new version is shown at a price of $212.15 before any rebate (unkown if the rebate will apply to this model, or last until these are available in mid-July.)

It appears that the new model 500 Le comes with the AAA battery clip, but not the Li-ion battery or the wall wart charger. The USB cord may or may not have the "Y" that accepts the wall wart or car chargers.

I really like the Li-ion battery and the ease of charging (like your cell phone or PDA.) I found the replacement batteries for very cheap, and the car charger cord very cheap. I would recommend getting the existing version 500, an extra battery (less than $10) and the battery clip (about $14 delivered), and do not forget the Swivel Bracket mount for easy charging (leave it on your desk with the charge cord in the mount.)

The eX500 can be purchased for $225 less $50 rebate= $175. This is a bargain for a full featured GPSr (I have had mine a year+.)

This new version is shown at a price of $212.15 before any rebate (unkown if the rebate will apply to this model, or last until these are available in mid-July.)

It appears that the new model 500 Le comes with the AAA battery clip, but not the Li-ion battery or the wall wart charger. The USB cord may or may not have the "Y" that accepts the wall wart or car chargers.

I really like the Li-ion battery and the ease of charging (like your cell phone or PDA.) I found the replacement batteries for very cheap, and the car charger cord very cheap. I would recommend getting the existing version 500, an extra battery (less than $10) and the battery clip (about $14 delivered), and do not forget the Swivel Bracket mount for easy charging (leave it on your desk with the charge cord in the mount.)

Man, TigerGPS is charging $8 for the battery pack by itself. But if you're in Canada, they want $60 to ship it here. What a rip off. Anyone know where I can get this in Canada without getting hit over the head for shipping?

Using the same math of 7.5 times the product price, I would have paid $3,750 for my eXplorist 600 if I bought it from the person that set THAT shipping price :rolleyes:

Man, TigerGPS is charging $8 for the battery pack by itself. But if you're in Canada, they want $60 to ship it here. What a rip off. Anyone know where I can get this in Canada without getting hit over the head for shipping?

Using the same math of 7.5 times the product price, I would have paid $3,750 for my eXplorist 600 if I bought it from the person that set THAT shipping price :rolleyes:

froogle

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Magell...AA+Battery+Clip

I went to TigerGPS looking for the AAA battery clip mentioned in this topic. Instead of further hijacking it, I'm starting this new one.

Anyway, I noticed that TigerGPS was listing the Magellan eXplorist 500 LE for sale with a release date of early July. Not a model I was familiar with. This unit uses the AAA battery clip that sells for $8 separately. TigerGPS's product listing for the 500LE says:

AAA Alkaline Battery Clip

Now you can power your eXplorist 500 with a simple pair of AAAs. Up to 17 hours of battery life, and no worries about chargers or nonstandard batteries!

The 500LE sells for a whopping $71 less before you take off the $50 rebate for the 500. There's no trade-off in battery life, as I get 18 hours from the Li-ion battery on my eXplorist 400.

I know the Garministas will say that Magellan is reversing their position on the Li-ion batteries that have been used and admitting failure. The Li-ion batteries have worked well for most people (maybe not me), but now Magellan is realising that they scared away some customers by not using AAs or AAAs in their higher-end units. The batteries were cell phone batteries and not proprietary, but the iPod has given rechargable batteries a bad name even if they are user-replaceable.

I think I would prefer to run off the AAAs. I have many NiMH AAAs lying around that I use for my MP3 player and PDA. To be environmentally conscious, you could use the NiMH AAAs. And if you were in a pinch, you could run to the drug store and buy regular AAAs. I had (and maybe still have) a charging issue with my 400. It's easier to go out and buy a new Energizer charger than sending the GPSr in for repair or buying a new one.

Yeah, I had spoken to a Magellan techie about two months ago and he told me about this in a round about way, saying that they were coming out with a modification that would use 3 AAA's. This is going to cause quite a stir..........trust me. And it does make one question the rumors wrt Magellan exiting the handheld business do it not? Now if they could just get their customer no service in gear..........? And that opening price at TigerDirect!!! Is see big trouble brewing. Sweet :):anibad::)

Edited by Team Cotati
This is going to cause quite a stir..........trust me. And it does make one question the rumors wrt Magellan exiting the handheld business do it not? Now if they could just get their customer no service in gear..........? And that opening price at TigerDirect!!! Is see big trouble brewing. Sweet :blink::o:o

$212 USD is a nice price, but I'm not sure that I would come to the conclusion that removing the charger circuitry and adding a new back door has shown enough engineering prowess to indicate the salvation of the group.

Products that are respins that can be done by a sustaining engineer in a few days just aren't what it takes to make "big trouble" in the market.

This is going to cause quite a stir..........trust me. And it does make one question the rumors wrt Magellan exiting the handheld business do it not? Now if they could just get their customer no service in gear..........? And that opening price at TigerDirect!!! Is see big trouble brewing. Sweet :laughing::laughing::laughing:

$212 USD is a nice price, but I'm not sure that I would come to the conclusion that removing the charger circuitry and adding a new back door has shown enough engineering prowess to indicate the salvation of the group.

Products that are respins that can be done by a sustaining engineer in a few days just aren't what it takes to make "big trouble" in the market.

It's not "the market" where I foresee big trouble brewing.............trust me. lol :laughing::lol::laughing:

Thanks embra - been waiting to "see" it. No I wonder if there is a device that we could use for extended outdood adventures that would allow us to charge the batteries but not require a power cord. Similar to many of the cell phone and laptop chargers you see on the market these days.

I just got the eXporist AAA battery clip/pack delivered this afternoon. The instruction sheet, by Magellan, says that "you can expect to get 11 hours of use from three new AAA batteries with the backlight turned off. Battery life will drop to approximately 3 hours with the backlite turned on."

I usually use mine with the backlight turned off. I will try to do a test tomorrow. I just got this as a backup, will not use it regularly.

Purchased from the TwisterGroup:

$5.12 for the battery clip

$6.12 for the black nylon belt clip case

$10.19 S&H Received in 3 business days.

embra thanks for the pic. If I put rechargeables in it can I charge them from within the GPS like the li-ion battery? I have more than a few spare Li-ion batteries so I can't see myself using this if the battery life with the back light on is only 3 hours

I am doing the test with alkalines because it is all I have in AAA. I will do 5 to 6 hours tonight and then turn it on in the morning to get the total time.

One thing about the clip/pack, you can put it in the unit and remove/install the batteries while the clip/pack remains in the unit. Actually, this is probably the perferred method, because with the batteries installed, it is difficult to install and remove the clip/pack (it slightly twists when loaded) (Magellan calls it a AAA Pack.)

I do not believe it will charge the AAAs while in the pack, in the GPSr. I tried it and it says "fully charged", but the alkaline AAAs are new.

for sure it says fully charged because 3 AAA alkaline gives you 4.5 volts. If you were to use rechargeables than your fully charged voltage would be very similar to that of the original Li-Ion battery. Please let us know but I would not think that magellan would allow the batteries to be charged because if you were to charge non-rechargeable batteries than you could potentially could the batteries to explode and/or damage you unit.

I got 11.5 hours on a set of AAA alkalines. I used Toshiba brand AAAs with a use-before date of Jan2008. I had my eX500 on for 6 hours last night, and then 5.5 hours this morning through afternoon. It was with the back light on off/lowest setting. The low battery warning came on at the 10 hour point.

So this is the most we can expect from this battery source. I believe that the alkalines will last longer than NiMH. Also, I do not think that using NiMH makes much sense, you are better off using the Li-Ion. As a backup, NiMH do not keep their charge very long, alkalines and an extra Li-ion pack keep their charge much longer.

I'm not sure about AAA NiMH you might be right but my 2300mA/hr AA NiMH will last longer than any alkalines that I've tried in other electronic devices I have. Your right that this kit would only be a supplement for when you need extended battery range like on long hiking trips etc... I have 3 Li-ion batteries so I have more than enough for the amount of use I would need.

Edited by D0T-C0M

Using the same math of 7.5 times the product price, I would have paid $3,750 for my eXplorist 600 if I bought it from the person that set THAT shipping price <_<

Ok, here's a solution (using froogle) for Canadians. I received my battery clip today, grand total $16. $6 for the clip, $10 for the shipping and UPS didn't club me over the head for import fees. Got mine from radiooutfitter.com.

It still irks me what TigerGPS wants, but hey - there are other vendors now and I'll just have to remember this little stunt of theirs next time I want to upgrade my GPS unit.

I'm not sure about AAA NiMH you might be right but my 2300mA/hr AA NiMH will last longer than any alkalines that I've tried in other electronic devices I have. Your right that this kit would only be a supplement for when you need extended battery range like on long hiking trips etc... I have 3 Li-ion batteries so I have more than enough for the amount of use I would need.

You're. :huh:<_<:unsure:

Has anyone out there ever measured the voltage coming off the a/c battery charger / adaptor for the Explorist 500 ? I have th AAA battery version and plan to swap the battery pack for the Motorola cell phone battery. I'm wondering which terminal on the charger connector is positive and which is negative. Also - any idea how much voltage the adaptor is putting out ?? By the way, I got my Explorist 500LE with the mapsend TOPO software for $179. from COSTCO including shipping and handling...

eXplorist FAQ

The AC adapter connects in the middle of the data cable. It is 5VDC, center +. There are several sources of the AC and DC auto chargers that you can use, and are listed above. Many of us highly recommend that you get the Swivel Mount cradle for charging and data transfers. It saves you trying to attach the cable by hand each time.

eXplorist : Photos

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/eXplorist...s/view/db1d?b=2

"A picture is worth a . . . ." gotta join to see it though!

Norm

Has anyone out there ever measured the voltage coming off the a/c battery charger / adaptor for the Explorist 500 ? I have th AAA battery version and plan to swap the battery pack for the Motorola cell phone battery. I'm wondering which terminal on the charger connector is positive and which is negative. Also - any idea how much voltage the adaptor is putting out ?? By the way, I got my Explorist 500LE with the mapsend TOPO software for $179. from COSTCO including shipping and handling...

Edited by RRLover

I just picked up an open-box Explorist 500 from London Drugs up here in B.C. for the same sale price as the 500LE and had a few questions I'm hoping members can answer:

- can the 500LE be retrofitted with the rechargeable battery/AC power pack?

- likewise, can the 500 be retrofitted with the AAA battery pack as well?

The clerk let me crack both boxes open to take a look and it appears that the units themselves are actually the same; I'm a bit puzzled since the Magellan site lists the 500 as being discontinued while the 500LE is still on the active product list.

Would it be better to just return the 500 and get the 500LE for the map discount? Judging from the prices on Tiger's Canadian site, having the power adapter/battery set in the 500 makes up the difference in cost.

I- can the 500LE be retrofitted with the rechargeable battery/AC power pack?

- likewise, can the 500 be retrofitted with the AAA battery pack as well?

Yes to both of those. The GPS is exactly the same; it's just a matter of the battery inside and the accompanying cords and transformers.

AS far as the return--I'm not sure what your prices run on those accessories, but usually the map discount will well exceed the cost of the Li-ion battery and the chargers. Do some pricing and see which is the better deal for you.

Mentioned above is the "Swivel Mount cradle for charging and data transfers", that post was written in Dec of 2006, so I am wondering if there has been any new ideas on this post.

Also, I am ready to purchase a battery as mentioned in the link in the above post "1100 mA battery designed for the Motorola T720/T730 cellphone. The model number for the Motorola cell phone battery is SNN5595B" and again that information is about a year old.

Before making these purchases, just wonderin if anyone has had good or bad luck or updates,

Thanks ahead of time.

This topic has been well discussed here, so I am probably not adding anything useful.

I have the 500 and have purchased a car charger (for going away by car) and the battery clip (for extended hikes). Although the charger and clip will be seldom used, it is really a bummer not to have in those situations.

I would have the LiIon battery as a base and the clip (with disposables) as a backup. In my experience a recharcheable battery that is not used regularly dies all on its own and when you call on it it does not deliver!

If one starts witha LE (the battery clip version) and then purcases a LiIon do you end up with a unit without the back cover? From the pictures of the clip it looks as if it does not have much of a cover.

I would have the LiIon battery as a base and the clip (with disposables) as a backup. In my experience a recharcheable battery that is not used regularly dies all on its own and when you call on it it does not deliver!

If one starts witha LE (the battery clip version) and then purcases a LiIon do you end up with a unit without the back cover? From the pictures of the clip it looks as if it does not have much of a cover.

The 500 and the 500LE are identical except for the battery arrangement. The clip was designed to occupy the same space as the Li-Ion, so the cover is functional in both situations...just like you must be seeing with your 500.

FWIW, my readings suggest that Li-Ions hold a charge fairly well...better than NiMH's, anyway. I use a spare Li-Ion for my backup. Over enough time, I'm sure that it, too, loses charge; I switch between them every month or two to insure that I've got a good charge on the backup. For someone who wants to throw a backup in their backpack and use it a year later, I'd agree that alkelines in a clip would be better.

Edited by embra

Thank you for your help. I will be purchasing 1 or 2 Li-Ion batteries, then a car charger. Right now, I have been carrying my laptop, using the power it provides through the USB port.

I just cannot believe the short time of regular AAA batteries. It's only a few hours, which is not acceptable. Hopefully with 2 Li-Ions, I'll have more time with power. Obviously, if I ever go out, I'll have to carry a couple packs of AAA just for back-up.

This is going to cause quite a stir..........trust me. And it does make one question the rumors wrt Magellan exiting the handheld business do it not? Now if they could just get their customer no service in gear..........? And that opening price at TigerDirect!!! Is see big trouble brewing. Sweet :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I wasn't talking about "the market". :laughing: