Caches Hoisted Up In A Tree

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about planting a cache with a pulley system that releases the cache. Can you give me some ideas and pictures of how this method can be accomplished. I've only heard about this technique and only saw it done once but would like some ideas of how a cache can be hoisted into a tree. I have some ideas but just wanted to be open about other ideas.

Thanks,

ChaseOnTheGo

Edited by ChaseOnTheGo

Forget the pulley! Make'em climb the tree! :laughing:

Okay, if you insist on a pulley system, then you really don't need a pulley. Use a cheap $1.50 carabiner and a short piece of large diameter rope or strapping. Use the strapping to loosely attach the carabiner to the tree. Run your hoist rope through the carabiner. 550# paracord works great for this.

The reason for the carabiner is so you're not running the hoist rope over the bark of the tree and using a sawing action to damage the tree as it raised and lowered. The thicker rope or strapping also helps protect the bark. There is really no advantage of a more expensive pulley with the weights we are talking about, yet there is a risk of the line jumping the pulley and getting jammed. Simple, cheap, and effective.

Hope this helps.

The only time I saw it done was with fishing line tossed over a branch. The cache lasted a pretty long time. I'm not sure how often, if ever, that the line had to be replaced.

I agree with CR about the carabiner. I thought about doing this using a pully, but having had to climb up my ladder and unjam my clothesline pulley once a month made me realize that the carabiner is the way to go.

I have a cache out that uses a fishing reel ($3.00 cheapo) About 20 0r 30 pound test fishing line and two caribiners

The CoOrds are for the reel that is placed at the bottom of a straight tree(no lower branches) I climbed 30 feet in the air with my clinbing tree stand.Attached a caribiner to the tree with a boot lace (loosely) ran the line though it ..Than went about 30 yards away and ran the fishing line Though another carabiner and attached a small water proof container and let it hang .

When the cache is found, The cacher has to release the reel to let the container down (They must have to look around to see where it is dropping) After signing the log...They go back to the reel and reel the line back up...The only problem I had was the line getting caught in the bark of the tree. I had to go back and repostion one of the caribiners

The cache is called "Cache and release" [:laughing:]

I have a cache out that uses a fishing reel ($3.00 cheapo) About 20 0r 30 pound test fishing line and two caribiners

The CoOrds are for the reel that is placed at the bottom of a straight tree(no lower branches) I climbed 30 feet in the air with my clinbing tree stand.Attached a caribiner to the tree with a boot lace (loosely) ran the line though it ..Than went about 30 yards away and ran the fishing line Though another carabiner and attached a small water proof container and let it hang .

When the cache is found, The cacher has to release the reel to let the container down (They must have to look around to see where it is dropping) After signing the log...They go back to the reel and reel the line back up...The only problem I had was the line getting caught in the bark of the tree. I had to go back and repostion one of the caribiners

Is this the waypoint that is associated with the cache? GCKYVH :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Is this the waypoint that is associated with the cache? GCKYVH :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yep...That's the one!!!

Use the strapping to loosely attach the carabiner to the tree.

How do I get the carabiner high into the trees? What is strapping? Does the pull string wrap around a stick to unwind to let it down?

This is exactly what I wanted this post to be about.

Thanks,

Chase

I was thinking, about a 2 stage multi, where at the first stage you recover a garage remote.

And at the second stage you press the button, and lowered from the trees would be the cache.

Lowered by motor, powered by solar panels and some NiMH batteries. A light cache though.

Then you would return the remote on the way back out.

Anyone see anything like this anywhere?

The ones I've seen have a loop tied in the line that hooks over a branch/nail/hook that holds the cache in place. The extra line is coiled up and "hidden" in some manner.

I've worked out a way to get a strap/cord with a biner up and around a branch without climbing the tree or using a ladder. But it's hard to describe without drawings. (The hardest part it throwing the line over the branch the first time!)

Yep...That's the one!!!

That is what I thought. For future reference you might like to know that the name of that particular cache is not "Cache and Release" but: "Sportsmans Serie ; Cache and Release" As you can see, it usually makes things a bit easier for your caching associates in here to locate stuff if you use the GCxxxx waypont name. What with that being a unique and possibly less confusing identifier and all. Cache on Garth. :lol::P:laughing:

Edited by Team Cotati
That is what I thought. For future reference you might like to know that the name of that particular cache is not "Cache and Release" but: "Sportsmans Serie ; Cache and Release" As you can see, it usually makes things a bit easier for your caching associates in here to locate stuff if you use the GCxxxx waypont name. What with that being a unique and possibly less confusing identifier and all. Cache on Garth. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Why would he want to be more explicit about naming a cache for which he's just provided a huge spoiler?

The only hoisted cache I've seen, they obviously tied a rope to an ammo can, threw the rope over a branch, then tied it off on one of those...nautical tie-off things attached to a tree. Come to think of it, I bet it was one of those tie-off things for flagpoles. I think it's had good longevity, though I worried that I hadn't tied it off properly and it would slip. Not being a nautical sort of a weasel. Or a flag flyer.

The only hoisted cache I've seen, they obviously tied a rope to an ammo can, threw the rope over a branch, then tied it off on one of those...nautical tie-off things attached to a tree. Come to think of it, I bet it was one of those tie-off things for flagpoles. I think it's had good longevity, though I worried that I hadn't tied it off properly and it would slip. Not being a nautical sort of a weasel. Or a flag flyer.

For my "throw the rope over the tree branch" cache I simply covered a brick with pine needles and wrapped the extra paracord around that.

Curiously, this cache was actually muggled twice! I placed the cache in winter and come spring I realized that it was only a few feet off a tiny path. The first muggle cut it down and dragged it through the woods thinking it was some kind of "trap." They did put it back but not as well since the cammo paracord was now shorter. The 2nd one just scattered the contents and left the cache on the ground.

I moved it about 100 feet off the path and it has been fine since.

I also have some tree caches with that are about 15 feet off the ground, attached to long dead trees propped up against a live tree. This sounds like it could be seen but it is difficult for some. It helps that I place these in areas that have lots of ground hiding spots.

Paul

Chase there are a few examples in your area. I'm surprised you haven't run into them.

PM me if you want some GC #'s

I've found that most of the caches hidden in the fashion you are describing generally need a lot of maintenance.

Unless the cache hider goes out of the way to uses wire, cord and fishing line always deteriorates in the elements.

One of the best examples it Bill & Gary's Excellent Adventure. The wire for this cache ran about 150ft and went through several pulleys through the woods. The cache box was suspended over a fairly large river, and the release device was about 70ft away. It was a two person job, and the cliff in the area was pretty steep. I've always considered this stage of B&G the ultimate adventure.

But it's hard to describe without drawings.

Is this what your talking about?

hoistedtree.jpg

I would connect a piece of rope to a carabeiner. Then thread the piece of rope connected to the cache through the carabeiner and then take the first piece of rope and throw it around a branch and tie that piece of rope off. That would hold the carabeiner on the branch.

Edited by ChaseOnTheGo

But it's hard to describe without drawings.

Is this what your talking about?

hoistedtree.jpg

I would connect a piece of rope to a carabeiner. Then thread the piece of rope connected to the cache through the carabeiner and then take the first piece of rope and throw it around a branch and tie that piece of rope off. That would hold the carabeiner on the branch.

No, the way I do it only has one cord that reaches the ground. Let's see if I can describe the basics.

1. Make a loop of cord/webbing/rope that is a little more than twice the circumference of the branch.

2. Throw a cord over the branch (This is the hardest part, the higher the harder).

3. Use this cord to pull the center of the cache hauling line up and over the branch.

4. Clip biner to loop and center of the haul line.

5. The free ends of the haul line are threaded thru the loop.

6. Now pull on both ends of the haul line. This will bring the biner up and over the branch, and thru the loop. Now the loop is tied around the branch, the binner is hanging free and the haul line is set ready to go.

The biggest problem with this system, it that if the haul line is broken/pulled thru you can't reset it (unless you are a VERY good shot with bow & arrow).

How do I get the carabiner high into the trees? What is strapping? Does the pull string wrap around a stick to unwind to let it down?

Opps! I missed this post.

Strapping: webbing, like flat rope.

One way of getting the carabiner up a tree without extra gear is a bit complicated to explain, but here goes.

Materials needed:

• 36" piece of 1" webbing.
  • 3ea. 100' of 550# paracord.
  • cheap carabiner. A solid ring will work, too.
  • You might need extra cord and a weight in the field.

Take the 36" piece of 1" webbing and attach the ends together to form a continuous loop, sewn preferably. You might need a longer piece of webbing if your branch is larger than, say, 4 inches. Also, if you're using a ring make sure it is on the loop before you attach the ends.

On one length of paracord, the one you're not going to be leaving at the cache site, attach your weight. Throw the weight over the desired branch.

Side note: if the branch is further than you can throw, a sling shot set up will get you a lot further. These can easily be made.

Once you get your first rope over--the throw rope--take your second rope/cord--the one you're going to leave--and thread it through the carabiner/ring, bring the ends together, and tie off. Attach the throw rope to the tied off end of the cache rope. Put the throw rope through the webbing loop. Take another cord and loop it through the webbing, bring the ends together and tie off. The third rope will called the rescue rope just because.

Pull the throw rope. The webbing loop will then be going up the tree while it is around the throw rope. Be careful when the tied off end of cache rope meets the loop. Once the tied off end of the cache rope gets past the webbing, continue to pull until the carabiner goes over the limb. There are two places where the carabiner can get caught, the limb and the webbing loop. This is were the rescue rope comes into play because it is still on this side of the limb and will allow you to pull the rig back to get it unjammed.

Carefully pull the carabiner over the limb and then through the webbing loop. You will have to really play with both the cache rope and the rescue rope to get it through. Have patience.

Once the carabiner is through the webbing loop--and hopefully exactly where you want it--untie the throw rope and the rescue rope. Pull the rescue rope down. Dress the ends of the cache rope. Attach cache and hoist. Dress the other end of the cache rope as desired.

I hope that was clear enough.

Yes, this means the rig is pretty much permanently in place.

One way of dressing the loose end of the cache is wrap it around a stick, or a spool, or wad it up put it in a bag and cover with debris.

:tired: ...or cut off all of the extra length, tie another ring or carabiner to the loose end, and attach to a low limb. The finder will have to have their own piece of rope to attach to the end so the length is long enough to lower, and then raise, the cache. The problem would can if someone simply releases the rope and lets it fall to the ground with no way of getting it back up there. Of course, you could hide the extra length of cord nearby for convenience.

That is what I thought. For future reference you might like to know that the name of that particular cache is not "Cache and Release" but: "Sportsmans Serie ; Cache and Release" As you can see, it usually makes things a bit easier for your caching associates in here to locate stuff if you use the GCxxxx waypont name. What with that being a unique and possibly less confusing identifier and all. Cache on Garth. :laughing::):lol:

Why would he want to be more explicit about naming a cache for which he's just provided a huge spoiler?

I don't know the answer to that question and I am not particualrily interested in what he or anyone else names their cache. I just thought that when someone refers to a cache by name that they might actually want to use the correct name. And that perhaps they ought to consider using the cache's waypoint name to possibly decrease the opportunity for confusion and error. I hope that this helps. :tired:B);)

Edited by Team Cotati

(Much good stuff deleted)

Hi Mike, awhile back you shared some of your ideas with me. Just placed a 'Cache and Release' yesterday. I'm going to have to go back out and re-do it though. I only had 6-lb line with me and can already tell that it's not going to go the distance. I'm going to have to get some 20-lb test line. Should be a fun cache and I look forward to the logs.

Just wanted to post a Thank You for sharing your ideas!

JohnTee

I have a cache that used to use an 80lb test fishing line. I figured nobody would break that by accident. Wrong! It was snapped by the first person to find it. I still have no idea how they managed that just by pulling on it too hard. :laughing:

Edited by Ferreter5

Opps! I missed this post.

Strapping: webbing, like flat rope.

One way of getting the carabiner up a tree without extra gear is a bit complicated to explain, but here goes.

Materials needed:

• 36" piece of 1" webbing.
  • 3ea. 100' of 550# paracord.
  • cheap carabiner. A solid ring will work, too.
  • You might need extra cord and a weight in the field.

Take the 36" piece of 1" webbing and attach the ends together to form a continuous loop, sewn preferably. You might need a longer piece of webbing if your branch is larger than, say, 4 inches. Also, if you're using a ring make sure it is on the loop before you attach the ends.

On one length of paracord, the one you're not going to be leaving at the cache site, attach your weight. Throw the weight over the desired branch.

Side note: if the branch is further than you can throw, a sling shot set up will get you a lot further. These can easily be made.

Once you get your first rope over--the throw rope--take your second rope/cord--the one you're going to leave--and thread it through the carabiner/ring, bring the ends together, and tie off. Attach the throw rope to the tied off end of the cache rope. Put the throw rope through the webbing loop. Take another cord and loop it through the webbing, bring the ends together and tie off. The third rope will called the rescue rope just because.

Pull the throw rope. The webbing loop will then be going up the tree while it is around the throw rope. Be careful when the tied off end of cache rope meets the loop. Once the tied off end of the cache rope gets past the webbing, continue to pull until the carabiner goes over the limb. There are two places where the carabiner can get caught, the limb and the webbing loop. This is were the rescue rope comes into play because it is still on this side of the limb and will allow you to pull the rig back to get it unjammed.

Carefully pull the carabiner over the limb and then through the webbing loop. You will have to really play with both the cache rope and the rescue rope to get it through. Have patience.

Once the carabiner is through the webbing loop--and hopefully exactly where you want it--untie the throw rope and the rescue rope. Pull the rescue rope down. Dress the ends of the cache rope. Attach cache and hoist. Dress the other end of the cache rope as desired.

I hope that was clear enough.

Yes, this means the rig is pretty much permanently in place.

One way of dressing the loose end of the cache is wrap it around a stick, or a spool, or wad it up put it in a bag and cover with debris.

:tired: ...or cut off all of the extra length, tie another ring or carabiner to the loose end, and attach to a low limb. The finder will have to have their own piece of rope to attach to the end so the length is long enough to lower, and then raise, the cache. The problem would can if someone simply releases the rope and lets it fall to the ground with no way of getting it back up there. Of course, you could hide the extra length of cord nearby for convenience.

Sorry, but I am a slow learner and I don't get this....is there a possiblity you can draw a step by step pic on paint...?

step123-1.jpg

I got confused after step 3

Edited by ChaseOnTheGo

I was thinking, about a 2 stage multi, where at the first stage you recover a garage remote.

And at the second stage you press the button, and lowered from the trees would be the cache.

Lowered by motor, powered by solar panels and some NiMH batteries. A light cache though.

Then you would return the remote on the way back out.

Anyone see anything like this anywhere?

Someone will forget (or be too lazy) to return the remote and you'll have to replace it. I have a two-stage cache. the first stage has a cheap flash light with the coordinates. The cache is hidden at the second stage 30' down a dark tunnel. I've had to replace the flashlight twice after it went missing.

Curiously, this cache was actually muggled twice!

I can relate. Both of our tree climbing caches have been muggled. I guess people look up more than one would think.

Yes, but it seems a lot of cachers don't. Or at least they didn't in the early days of caching

Inbetween

I used a 4 ounce sinker to get the para cord over a branch with a fork in it, then ran the cord off to another tree and tied it off on the second tree a total of 100 feet of paracord was used. The cache was about 30 feet up and in plain sight. A lot of cachers came back 2 or 3 times looking for it

(Much good stuff deleted)

Hi Mike, awhile back you shared some of your ideas with me. Just placed a 'Cache and Release' yesterday. I'm going to have to go back out and re-do it though. I only had 6-lb line with me and can already tell that it's not going to go the distance. I'm going to have to get some 20-lb test line. Should be a fun cache and I look forward to the logs.

Just wanted to post a Thank You for sharing your ideas!

JohnTee

John, Even with the heavier test line , You will have to replace it every year or so ...As Ekitt 10 says the elements will do it in....Also make sure that it doesn't rub the tree branches

Good Luck and keep me posted on the cache so that I can put a watch on it

I have seen two of these since I started actively caching in the last 4-5 months. The first was probably 50-60 feet up on each of two trees, probably close to 200 feet apart. The container was probably a yard long, surrounded by logs taped/attached to the container, and weighting it down. The rope was a kernmantle type, probably 1/2 inch diameter. It was very impressive. The second one I saw was probably 3-4 days ago, and was a much smaller setup, but similar in function. Both were cool finds - the clue for the second one was "over there" - didn't help find it, but once I saw the string, I knew what I was looking for.

So the webbing loop is around the branch and connected to the loop is the carabeiner? So the carabeiner is where the rope slides when pulled through? So it must be hard to get the webbing loop around the branch without the whole thing comming down......

untitled.jpg

So is this the final picture......?

HA! I just thought of an even easier way to do this!

IMPROVED HOISTING METHOD

Materials needed:

• 2ea. 100' paracord
  • 18" webbing or thick rope.
  • 2 carabiners, or rings though rings make the operation a lot harder.

Prepare the hoist rig buy simply tying or sewing a carabiner to end end of the 18" webbing or rope.

Proceed like above to get your throw over the limb. Double up the cache rope and tie the ends. Attach to the throw rope and pull one end of the loop up over the limb and down to the ground. Attach one end of the rig to the loop and remove the throw rope. Attach the other end of the loop to the other end of the rig. You should now have a loop of cache rope over the limb and the two ends of the loop attached to each other at the ground by one end each of the hoist rig. See figure 1

95ba9e2d-bc6c-4594-a067-3d289d0bab94.jpg

Pull the loop until the rig is over the limb like in figure 2.

Pull only one piece of the loop until the other side of the loop is taken up to the rig like in figure 3.

Obviously, you can't have any other limbs or obstructions within the loop otherwise it would be in the way when you pull the one side of the loop.

Note: if your limb is more than 20 to 25' feet off the ground then you're going to need to double up on your cache rope temporarily. Just use two pieces of 100' paracord for up to 40 to 50 feet off the ground.

Hope this helps.

HA! I just thought of an even easier way to do this!

IMPROVED HOISTING METHOD

Materials needed:

• 2ea. 100' paracord
  • 18" webbing or thick rope.
  • 2 carabiners, or rings though rings make the operation a lot harder.

Prepare the hoist rig buy simply tying or sewing a carabiner to end end of the 18" webbing or rope.

Proceed like above to get your throw over the limb. Double up the cache rope and tie the ends. Attach to the throw rope and pull one end of the loop up over the limb and down to the ground. Attach one end of the rig to the loop and remove the throw rope. Attach the other end of the loop to the other end of the rig. You should now have a loop of cache rope over the limb and the two ends of the loop attached to each other at the ground by one end each of the hoist rig. See figure 1

95ba9e2d-bc6c-4594-a067-3d289d0bab94.jpg

Pull the loop until the rig is over the limb like in figure 2.

Pull only one piece of the loop until the other side of the loop is taken up to the rig like in figure 3.

Obviously, you can't have any other limbs or obstructions within the loop otherwise it would be in the way when you pull the one side of the loop.

Note: if your limb is more than 20 to 25' feet off the ground then you're going to need to double up on your cache rope temporarily. Just use two pieces of 100' paracord for up to 40 to 50 feet off the ground.

Hope this helps.

Yeah! Thank you! You are on a role!