Verizon Wireless Vz Navigator

Since I was looking for information about this myself, I figured I'd share my experience with this application.

It's excellent for navigating via car, but it is not nearly accurate enough for Geocaching. It's more like a car GPS than a handheld one. I didn't have any luck finding caches via VZ Navigator. However, I was able to use it to navigate in my car very easily. It even talks to you like a TomTom. It only uses airtime when you initially setup your route. After that, it doesn't use airtime unless you stray from your route and it needs to recalculate it.

It does have a "follow me" feature, but it's only accurate to about the intersection. Also, if you use the follow me function, I believe it uses airtime.

Also, I do not know of a way (nor did I find a way in the documention) to input GPS coordinates. You can only set your current coordinates and input a destination that has a valid address or intersection.

This also obviously only works if you've got cell reception, which actually is somewhat more accessible than satellite reception in a lot of places.

Anyway, that's my review. I tried using it for a week and then found a decent price on a refurbished Etrex Legend and like it soooo much better. :D

Anyone else have any experience with Verizon's VZ Navigator?

Just wondered if any one has this service yet? And if so how well does it work

We purchased the service because both of us travel quite a lot for work. It's nice when you're in a city that's unfamiliar. The only problem is that we have to switch phones because we got the service on one phone only.

We have also used it several times to find Texas State Parks. We haven't had any problems with reception so far. It would be nice if it indicated where construction or other obstacles are. We are towing a 35 foot trailer so we're always concerned with bridges and such. So far it's worked pretty well.

We were disappointed that you can't enter in GPS coordinates. I wish Verizon was one of the carriers you can use for geocaching with your cell phone.

My wife has VZ Navigator and we often have a "route off" between her phone and my GPSMAP 60CSx. As best as I can tell, both units are using the Navteq data and the directions are, in general, essentially identical.

There is the nice advantage that when we look up say a restaurant, the VZ Navigator also supports directly calling the destination.

So for auto routing ojn roads it is quite good. As noted above, it is not so useful for geocaching. Also note that if you are in remote areas which do not have Verizon cell phone service, say on back roads, then this system is not particularly useful.

since the wife and I are waiting a couple of weeks to buy GPS unit, we decided to try using my Chocolate phone and Verizon Navigator.

It worked pretty well as we found our first cache by narrowing it down using the coordinates, but after two hours of having it constantly update, the battery was nearly dead. (we tried to find three other caches)

I would say for a quickie afternoon it isn't too bad, but not for the long haul or making a day of it. It is kinda frustrating to use.

WE still had fun, though.

My wife signed me up in June and we played with it some on a trip to steamboat springs, CO. She was told when she ordered the service that the demand is there for phone caching and it is "in the works", whatever that means. I discovered that if you play around with the features when you don't have service it wants to update or some such thing and you are pretty much done until you find a cell again but if you just "leave the d***d thing alone" (my wifes words) it will get you where you r going quite nicely. P.S. I haven't used it since the trial weekend