Serious Bug That Makes The 60csx Useless For Road Nav!

:grin::grin::P;) I can't figure this one out. I have city nav 4.01 and I've always really liked the address search feature of the GPS and I use it all the time! Now I go to enter an address and it all works (the road search works) but the city search doesn't. When you go to enter the first letter of the city you want, ALL the cities disappear from the list. Even if you start with A the ones you can SEE that have an A at the start go away! Is this a bug in the FW or just an issue I'm having?

anyone have a fix for this?

Hummm, my 60Cx seems ok. I can enter any letter & it goes to the 1st city for that letter.

This is a picture of when I first enter the city search of the address entering page:

A.GIF

As you can see there are some cities that start with a B

Now after I enter a B in as the first letter of the city search:

B.GIF

Whats up with that!? Anyone had this issue before?

Hummm, my 60Cx seems ok. I can enter any letter & it goes to the 1st city for that letter.

This is a picture of when I first enter the city search of the address entering page:

A.GIF

As you can see there are some cities that start with a B

Now after I enter a B in as the first letter of the city search:

B.GIF

Whats up with that!? Anyone had this issue before?

My 60CSX works just fine and doesn't display the behavior that yours is.

Are you sure the SD card is fully locked in place? Sure seems like there are more 'B' cities in WA that those listed, like Battle Ground for instance, where I used to live.

I wonder if maybe its just using the basemap, not your CN maps. Probably still doesn't explain the behavior though.

My CSx exhibits the same behavior. When I use the Find Address feature, I can enter the street number and street name, but when I enter the first letter of the City Name, the list disappears and I get None Found.

The owner’s manual is somewhat ambiguous regarding this. On page 23 of the CSx manual it states: “You do not have to specify a city in the <Enter City>, as the database has information for the entire region. However, you can select a city if you want to reduce the number of address matches.”

Notice the difference in wording: you do not have to specify versus you can select. Well yes, I can select a city, but I am unable to specify a city.

My CSx exhibits the same behavior. When I use the Find Address feature, I can enter the street number and street name, but when I enter the first letter of the City Name, the list disappears and I get None Found.

The owner’s manual is somewhat ambiguous regarding this. On page 23 of the CSx manual it states: “You do not have to specify a city in the <Enter City>, as the database has information for the entire region. However, you can select a city if you want to reduce the number of address matches.”

Notice the difference in wording: you do not have to specify versus you can select. Well yes, I can select a city, but I am unable to specify a city.

Sounds like EXACTLY the problem I'm having... What version of City Nav do you have?

Are you sure the SD card is fully locked in place? Sure seems like there are more 'B' cities in WA that those listed, like Battle Ground for instance, where I used to live.

I wonder if maybe its just using the basemap, not your CN maps. Probably still doesn't explain the behavior though.

It does seem strange its not showing more cities. I have the entire state loaded on as TOPO and City Nav and it should have MANY more B's and some A's. I've reloaded mapdata and I still ahve the problem... Any ideas? I guess I could reload the firmware but I hate playing with firmware because I've had some bad experiences (lets just say I've lost $2000 of equipment with BIO's and firmware).

Could there be some setting somewhere "Make search feature not work"? It seems Garmin is being that dumb with this unit.

My card is in firm because the maps show up fine and I've NEVER had a problem with a loose card even out on gravel roads.

Sounds like EXACTLY the problem I'm having... What version of City Nav do you have?

Actually, I'm using an older version of MetroGuide that supports (undocumented) GPSr auto-routing. Regardless, I don't think it's MapSource related. My friend's 60CS, which has the same MetroGuide maps as I, functions correctly in this regard, as does my old eTrex Vista. I think it's 60CSx specific. (Not sure about the 76CSx). Let's keep this topic afloat for a week or two and see if others are having the same issue. Then maybe a call to Garmin is in order.

When I do a "Search Addresses" with my 60CSx, the first (top) field is Region, which in my case defaults to Ohio, since that's where I'm located. The next field is for City, then Number, then Street Name. CbusRog stated that "When I use the Find Address feature, I can enter the street number and street name, but when I enter the first letter of the City Name, the list disappears and I get None Found."

Question 1: For those who are encountering this problem, are you entering the data using the fields in order, are do you jump to the street number and street name fields, then try to enter the city?

Question 2: If you are entering the data "out of order," what happens when you enter the information "in order," from top to bottom on the screen? Does the search work correctly then?

Just to add a data point to the discussion:

GPSr: 60CSx

Software version: 2.90

GPS SW version: 2.60

Maps loaded: City Navigator NA v7, US Topo

Result of "Find Addresses" search: Normal, the same as when I bought the GPSr. On my machine, anyway, "Find Addresses" works correctly regardless of the order I enter the data.

--Larry

When I do a "Search Addresses" with my 60CSx, the first (top) field is Region, which in my case defaults to Ohio, since that's where I'm located. The next field is for City, then Number, then Street Name. CbusRog stated that "When I use the Find Address feature, I can enter the street number and street name, but when I enter the first letter of the City Name, the list disappears and I get None Found."

Question 1: For those who are encountering this problem, are you entering the data using the fields in order, are do you jump to the street number and street name fields, then try to enter the city?

Question 2: If you are entering the data "out of order," what happens when you enter the information "in order," from top to bottom on the screen? Does the search work correctly then?

Just to add a data point to the discussion:

Result of "Find Addresses" search: Normal, the same as when I bought the GPSr. On my machine, anyway, "Find Addresses" works correctly regardless of the order I enter the data.

--Larry

I too live in Ohio, and Ohio is the only detail maps I have loaded (about the limit of the stock 64 mb card). I don't get the Region field (as it shows in the manual). I get Number, Street and City. It doesn't matter which order I choose, I still get the same result. My parents live 100 miles north of me, and when I enter their Number then Street all goes well. When I type the first letter of their town (in Ohio), the City list goes blank and is replaced with Not Found.

(BTW: I did a hard reset and reloaded the FW/SW).

I too live in Ohio, and Ohio is the only detail maps I have loaded (about the limit of the stock 64 mb card). I don't get the Region field (as it shows in the manual). I get Number, Street and City. It doesn't matter which order I choose, I still get the same result. My parents live 100 miles north of me, and when I enter their Number then Street all goes well. When I type the first letter of their town (in Ohio), the City list goes blank and is replaced with Not Found.

In case it makes a difference, I have 25 Regions worth of maps stored on my 1GB card, including, of course, Ohio.

--Larry

In case it makes a difference, I have 25 Regions worth of maps stored on my 1GB card, including, of course, Ohio.

--Larry

Could this be a City Navigator issue? I am using City Select v 7 without any issues.

FWIW - my 60Cx works properly.

GPSr: 60Cx

Software version: 2.71Beta

GPS SW version: 2.50

Maps loaded: City Select NA v5, US Topo, US Waterways, WorldMap

I have checked for an obscure city in an area for which I have NO maps loaded - Molt, Montana (just outside of Billings) and it finds it without any problem. It also finds an obscure city in an area I do have maps loaded (Glandon, WI). So whether or not you have any maps loaded is moot - I think it would likely be a firmware issue.

I don't have time to update my GPSr tonight and roll-back if it is a problem. I'll check it out later - hopefully tomorrow night - and report my findings.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I said "wtf" and went ahead and did the update tonight anyway. I can still find Glandon, Wisconsin and Molt, Montana. I do notice however, that when I first click on cities, the nearest ones appear. These nearest "cities" are NOT truly cities in the sense of a postal address city - they are nearby neighborhoods. When I do a "find by name" search of these neighborhoods, they do not show up in the results.

GPS SW version: 2.50

Edit:

Just updated the GPS SW version and get the same results...

Edited by Neo_Geo

:rolleyes::rolleyes::(:) I can't figure this one out. I have city nav 4.01 and I've always really liked the address search feature of the GPS and I use it all the time! Now I go to enter an address and it all works (the road search works) but the city search doesn't. When you go to enter the first letter of the city you want, ALL the cities disappear from the list. Even if you start with A the ones you can SEE that have an A at the start go away! Is this a bug in the FW or just an issue I'm having?

anyone have a fix for this?

Mine (60CSx Firmware 2.90/SW2.60) works as it should. I have MetroGuide, Roads & Recreation & Topo mapsets loaded, so only routing off the basemap, but the find address function works fine. Maybe a routable map issue combined w/ 2.90 Firmware ???

EDIT: I have a 1Gb card with *many* reigons loaded (950Mb) if that helps narrow this down any.

Edited by 8mmag

This is really starting to annoy me!

The people who are saying it works for them: Are you using the city search in the ADDRESS entering page or the city search on the city find page? Its the address one that doesn't work... I sure hope my unit is not broken!

Edited by Train_Man

The people who are saying it works for them: Are you using the city search in the ADDRESS entering page or the city search on the city find page? Its the address one that doesn't work... I sure hope my unit is broken!

The city search field in the FIND ADDRESS page... :rolleyes:

The people who are saying it works for them: Are you using the city search in the ADDRESS entering page or the city search on the city find page? Its the address one that doesn't work... I sure hope my unit is broken!

Well... actually... Silly me - I was going to "Cities" rather than "Addresses". Having gone back and read through all of the previous posts again, I can't imagine what prompted me to just do "Cities" as "Addresses" is mentioned throughout.

But it doesn't matter in my case because it still works properly under addresses as well...

Well... actually... Silly me - I was going to "Cities" rather than "Addresses". Having gone back and read through all of the previous posts again, I can't imagine what prompted me to just do "Cities" as "Addresses" is mentioned throughout.

But it doesn't matter in my case because it still works properly under addresses as well...

Do you know what the difference between City Select and City Navigator is other than the map tile sizes? Perhaps this is the problem because I have City Navigator and you have City Select

The people who are saying it works for them: Are you using the city search in the ADDRESS entering page or the city search on the city find page? Its the address one that doesn't work... I sure hope my unit is not broken!

My tests (on a 60CSx) were on the ADDRESSES search page, not the CITY search page. I've tried all sorts of addresses in all sorts of cities and regions, and entered the data in various orders on the screen, and the search has worked fine every time. This search has worked as advertised since I bought the 60CSx, and still works fine after multiple updates. I'm now running the latest versions of the software (2.90 and 2.60), and the search still works. The GPSr has City Navigator NA v7 and US Topo loaded on a 1GB card.

--Larry

Do you know what the difference between City Select and City Navigator is other than the map tile sizes? Perhaps this is the problem because I have City Navigator and you have City Select

It cannot be a problem involving just City Navigator, because I have City Navigator NA v7 loaded, and I can't duplicate the problem after trying all sorts of addresses. The address search works for me on my 60CSx with City Navigator.

--Larry

One thing I noticed is that the two users who are having this problem appear to be using older versions of MapSource products... and they're both routable products.

* Train_Man is running city nav 4.01

* CbusRog is using "an older version of MetroGuide that supports (undocumented) GPSr auto-routing" which sounds like MetroGuide version 4

Could be a problem with the new x-model firmware and older MapSource products if no other x-model users are having this problem...

Do you know what the difference between City Select and City Navigator is other than the map tile sizes?

The difference between CURRENT versions is that City Navigator has more precise routing information in the map data than City Select. For instance, Navigator may contain speed limit data which would help it produce a more accurate route based on fastest time computations. I'm not sure if this is an exactly true example of the difference, but the difference in Navigator as explained is the general type of difference in the routing data. So there is a bit of a subtle difference in the actual data.

Perhaps this is the problem because I have City Navigator and you have City Select

I don't think so as someone above mentioned that they're using Navigator 7.

Edited by Neo_Geo

One thing I noticed is that the two users who are having this problem appear to be using older versions of MapSource products... and they're both routable products.

* CbusRog is using "an older version of MetroGuide that supports (undocumented) GPSr auto-routing" which sounds like MetroGuide version 4

Could be a problem with the new x-model firmware and older MapSource products if no other x-model users are having this problem...

It used to work with older firmware versions. Do you think it still could be the fact that it's old and the new firmware is starting to 'discontinue' support for old mapsource products?

Do you know what the difference between City Select and City Navigator is other than the map tile sizes?

The difference between CURRENT versions is that City Navigator has more precise routing information in the map data than City Select. For instance, Navigator may contain speed limit data which would help it produce a more accurate route based on fastest time computations. I'm not sure if this is an exactly true example of the difference, but the difference in Navigator as explained is the general type of difference in the routing data. So there is a bit of a subtle difference in the actual data.

Perhaps this is the problem because I have City Navigator and you have City Select

I don't think so as someone above mentioned that they're using Navigator 7.

True, I am using verion 4 of MetroGuide (updated to 6.11). That could indeed be an issue with 'X' units. I'm also using the same version of MetroGuide on C and CS units just fine. I plan I buying CN or CS soon anyhow, so it could be a moot point. Still would like to hear others chime in though.

I have checked this with a 60C, 60CS, 60CSx and eTrex Vista (mono). It seems to be specific with the CSx, as the other units do what they should regarding City selection when doing an Address search. Would like to hear from others with CSx units.

I just checked again, and my CSX works properly.

City Select V7

2.90/2.60

It used to work with older firmware versions. Do you think it still could be the fact that it's old and the new firmware is starting to 'discontinue' support for old mapsource products?

I doubt that it'd be a planned obsolescence (although I could be wrong). That support may be something that conflicts with improvements implemented in the new firmware or possibly an upcoming feature that they just didn't see. But the basic idea of the combination of old map product with new firmware is my general theory at this point.

I have GPSMap 60Cx with N.A. Metroguide V 5.0. I also have the latest FW/SW loaded and I have the same problem. I hit the "Find' button, then go to "Addresses". It brings up the screen

<Enter Number>

<Enter Street Name>

<Enter City>

I skip down to <Enter City>, hit the Enter key so it will bring up the selection menu.

I hit the letter "A", then move to "OK", hit enter and it tells me "None Found".

If I hit the "Quit" button, then it will give me the choices of cities starting with cities beginning with A. So I have to scroll down to get the city I want.

I'm thinking its a Metroguide issue rather than a GPS issue.

--Larry

I have this same set up except i don't have US Topo. Anywy, my address search works fine. I use this function a lot. Maybe consider getting a newer version of City Nav..... Best of luck.

-iNiq

Edited by iNiq

I have GPSMap 60Cx with N.A. Metroguide V 5.0. I also have the latest FW/SW loaded and I have the same problem. I hit the "Find' button, then go to "Addresses". It brings up the screen

<Enter Number>

<Enter Street Name>

<Enter City>

I skip down to <Enter City>, hit the Enter key so it will bring up the selection menu.

I hit the letter "A", then move to "OK", hit enter and it tells me "None Found".

If I hit the "Quit" button, then it will give me the choices of cities starting with cities beginning with A. So I have to scroll down to get the city I want.

I just did a test on my 60CSx and it didn't behave in the manner you described. I actually never enter the city name anyway, save time and just enter the street name and number and select the right one from the list provided if there is more than one match.

I am using City Select 7, which is different than your Metroguide. I am not sure if that is causing the difference in functionality.

Edited by andygriffith

<Enter Number>

<Enter Street Name>

<Enter City>

Oh yeah... Just tried it with MetroGuide 5 and my 60Cx (with latest FW/SW updates) has the same problem. Thinking "logically", when you type-in "A", it's telling you that it cannot find any cities NAMED "A". I continued typing-in the name of a known city, and as soon as I typed-in the last letter of the city, the display "lit-up like a Christmas tree" with city names again.

I put my 1.0GB City Select chip back in, and it functioned properly.

So, it's definitely a bug combining the latest unit updates with the older MetroGuide map data...

Edited by Neo_Geo

...... Thinking "logically", when you type-in "A", it's telling you that it cannot find any cities NAMED "A". I continued typing-in the name of a known city, and as soon as I typed-in the last letter of the city, the display "lit-up like a Christmas tree" with city names again....

Wait. Mine does that when I'm putting in some Street names. Like 30% of the time. But like what NeoGeo said, if you keep typing eventually search results start showing up again....

I have the same problem

City Navigator 4.01

60csx

2.9/2.6

I contacted Garmin. They told me it was an incompatibility between CN4.01 and the 60CSX. They assured me the problem would not be there in CN8.0. I am waiting for it to be available at Amazon before I buy 8.0.

In the meantime try this. This should work.

First determine the city that the address you want to find is in.

Find city.

Choose map.

Zoom in many times until the road details shows.

You are now on the map segment that contains that address.

Now go to find/waypoint/address and it should work.

That seemed to work most of the time for me. However, not ALL of the time.

Good Luck

Oh yeah... Just tried it with MetroGuide 5 and my 60Cx (with latest FW/SW updates) has the same problem. Thinking "logically", when you type-in "A", it's telling you that it cannot find any cities NAMED "A". I continued typing-in the name of a known city, and as soon as I typed-in the last letter of the city, the display "lit-up like a Christmas tree" with city names again.

I put my 1.0GB City Select chip back in, and it functioned properly.

So, it's definitely a bug combining the latest unit updates with the older MetroGuide map data...

Well, I'll be. I tried your suggestion. Typed in all the letter to the city name instead of just the first letter. And sure enough, after I had typed in the last letter, all the city choices came up on the screen. Whoooop!

I've ordered CN v8 so I expect this issue to go away for me.

I have the same problem

City Navigator 4.01

60csx

2.9/2.6

I contacted Garmin. They told me it was an incompatibility between CN4.01 and the 60CSX. They assured me the problem would not be there in CN8.0. I am waiting for it to be available at Amazon before I buy 8.0.

In the meantime try this. This should work.

First determine the city that the address you want to find is in.

Find city.

Choose map.

Zoom in many times until the road details shows.

You are now on the map segment that contains that address.

Now go to find/waypoint/address and it should work.

That seemed to work most of the time for me. However, not ALL of the time.

Good Luck

I called garmin and after 1/2 hour of them experimenting they said the same thing HOWEVER when I called they said they'd send me a FREE copy of 8.0. It just came a week ago and it works great! Too bad you weren't one of the first to tell them or you could have got 8 for free!