Lowrance Card Reader

bwien

So I got my Expedition C over the weekend and it has been great, however, the card reader and power adapter in the PLUS package were both defective. I called Lowrance this morning and they were very helpful (after I waited on hold for :35 minutes), they are sending out a new power adapter and card reader, no questions asked. Frustrating, but with a good result in the end (we'll see when I get the replacements.)

This is all well and good, but I wanted to share some news the support guy told me- you don't have to use the LEI card reader any more if you have a color GPS unit. I have to go out and pick up one to test this, but he showed me how to format and encode a MMC card in the GPS and said that you can then write to it using Mapcreate and any card reader you like.

To create the ID file:

Menu -> Menu -> Browse MMC Files -> MMC Card Info (at bottom of screen) -> Create ID File

He said this is only available for the newer color GPS units, and that he uses this on his own. Anyone done this?

If true, that will be very cool.

If/when anyone with ANY model iFinder and MapCreate 6.3 can confirm this, please add it to this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=115044

Note that thread also mentions a way to get around the 5 card limit. If we get around that limit, and can avoid using Lowrance's card reader, MC6.3 will be easier to tolerate.

Maybe not a LOT easier, but every little bit helps.

Edit to add: I'm guessing that this is not really "just the color models" but more generically "any model that got a firmware update in March 2006." Mostly color models -- but the original iFinder Hunt will probably be able to do it as well.

Edited by lee_rimar

I just checked, and my AirMap 500 has an option under MENU> Browse MMC Files... > MMC Card Info > Create ID File. I did not know what it was for, but it must have shown up last upgrade.

EDIT: to add that my AirMap is monochrome screen, and I've had it quite some time, it apparently was installed last upgrade. ( 1.7.0 I think.)

Edited by Airmapper

I'm still waiting to get to the store to pick up a card reader to confirm it, Ill post when I do.

As an aside- I was kind of ticked today because when I booted up the GPS for the first time outside it looked like it was showing my location to be about 1/4 mile away from where my house actually is. I haven't loaded up the detailed maps (no way to transfer, arrgh), so I checked out the coordinates compared to Google Earth - it was dead on. Needless to say, I can't wait to get going with it.