Caches Along A Route

For those that missed the discussion on the South Downs thread, it is now possible to create a pocket query of caches along a route. After experimenting a bit, I've written a 3 page guide on how to do this using memory map to generate the route. The guide can be found:

Here

(WARNING: 2.2 MB file)

Obviously, you will need Memory Map and premium membership.

As I've said, i've only been playing around, and it's the easiest way I've found so far.

T

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

I must have missed something here, wasn't this always easy to do using pq's and gsak if you used the dates trick to keep a full database?

Yes, if you have a full database and a short route. In the summer we will be travelling around the Uk for 2 weeks. by the end of that, my data will be 2 weeks old, and I don't want to be paying too much to download the whole of the UK by GPRS, when I can just get the routes I want for less PQs.

The point is that you can get the data you need with far less pocket queries and in less time (with the 5 a day limit). Imagine how many pocket queries you would need for a road trp across Europe or the United States.

T

Thanks Pengy & Tigger for a great guide :wub: Never realised I could create a route in MM and then use it with the new "Cache along a route" feature. Used GoogleEarth yesterday which gave good results but I would have liked to have created a custom route.....and now I can :wub:

Cheers.

Does Memory map autoroute, or is it a manual process? Ie, click on each waypoint of a route?

Can't seem to see any difference between a track and a route?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Gary

From Memory Map Help:

We use the following nomenclature: a "Route" is a sequence of connected "Waypoints" where you intend to go. A "Mark" is a waypoint that is not part of any route (marks and waypoints are really the same thing). A "Track" is where you have actually been, as recorded by the GPS.

From Memory Map Help:

We use the following nomenclature: a "Route" is a sequence of connected "Waypoints" where you intend to go. A "Mark" is a waypoint that is not part of any route (marks and waypoints are really the same thing). A "Track" is where you have actually been, as recorded by the GPS.

Yes but you can also create a "Track" by drawing it on the map and convert it into a route as well as manipulating it in other ways by right clicking on it.

Although Google Earth will find a route between two points, it is absolutly rubbish at it and will often not go anywhere near the route you would actually want to travel. Marking a route in Memory Map is pretty quick and easy. for example, on a motorway you probably need only mark the junctions with waypoints. If you want to be more accurate stick waypoint at each curve and intersection. Extra waypoints are easily added by right clicking, and waypoints can be dragged if you need to adjust position. A pretty accurate Junction 10 to Junction 24 of the M25 took about five minutes to produce.

Although Google Earth will find a route between two points, it is absolutly rubbish at it and will often not go anywhere near the route you would actually want to travel. Marking a route in Memory Map is pretty quick and easy. for example, on a motorway you probably need only mark the junctions with waypoints. If you want to be more accurate stick waypoint at each curve and intersection. Extra waypoints are easily added by right clicking, and waypoints can be dragged if you need to adjust position. A pretty accurate Junction 10 to Junction 24 of the M25 took about five minutes to produce.

I think that you have missed the point here, not everyone has Memory Map

Its not too bad, it suggested the same route up north that my Auto routing Garmin GPS did. So that's good enough for me.

It gives you a general idea, very handy if you are not familiar with how to get somewhere. I do tend to just follow the GPS these days. Which can lead to some amusing adventures.

Oh the whole a great new feature, I used to download the whole UK DB and then filter the route out in GSAK.

See ya...Gary

And I guess not everyone lives near London - but Google Earth is simply rubbish when generating any route to anywhere I have tried as it just does not seem to understand traffic volumes. I use Satnav all the time and Google Earth seems very poor at routing in comparison to TomTom for example. I can't see how caches to a route is any good unless it is a route you might actually use!

Getting the usual old thing where a pq fails to turn up, already posted in one of the many threads about this in the main forum. This is a very good idea if I can actually receive the blasted thing in an email!!!

I've had no problems pq's on the few occasions that I have tried them. (only recently become a premium member)

I did have a problem with my very first one but that was due to not selecting the day I actually wanted it to be created. (the current day). :mad: It's been great since though. :(